11 Facts About Education in America

signalmankenneth

Verified User
http://www.dosomething.org/actnow/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-education-america

alabama-education-proof.jpg

Odd that they dont bother to state the obvious:cause and effect.

Odd you didn't either....

I suggest you try, with an EXPLAINATION.

You will find you have a reason in mind, but won't know how to explain that thought someone gave you.

Private education;

The Libertarians and some Republicans state this would be better because they use statistics from "private schools" today. The Schools that DON'T lack funding because only rich kids go to them.

They seem to think that if schools were privatized, education would get better. This thought process is a result of an uneducated nation....

Sure, there are problems in the unregulated unions. But anyone that has done research on unions knows that they have done more good than bad. The only problem is lack of educated regulation. (oh, the irony)

Forced Unions is the exact and polar opposite of Corporations not allowing unions. Anyone with a brain knows that the middle is DON'T force Unionization, but force all Corporations to have a Union. This would keep the Monopoly Corporations like Wal-Mart and McDonalds from driving up the minimum wage which small business relies on to survive.

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. It's only blinded by bias.

Private education;

The Libertarians and some Republicans state this would be better because they use statistics from "private schools" today. The Schools that DON'T lack funding because only rich kids go to them.

They seem to think that if schools were privatized, education would get better. This thought process is a result of an uneducated nation....

Sure, there are problems in the unregulated unions. But anyone that has done research on unions knows that they have done more good than bad. The only problem is lack of educated regulation. (oh, the irony)

Forced Unions is the exact and polar opposite of Corporations not allowing unions. Anyone with a brain knows that the middle is DON'T force Unionization, but force all Corporations to have a Union. This would keep the Monopoly Corporations like Wal-Mart and McDonalds from driving up the minimum wage which small business relies on to survive.

That's a great analysis of education. Unions at McDonald's. Yes you have unlocked the secret. Thanks for sharing it with us at JPP.

That's a great analysis of education. Unions at McDonald's. Yes you have unlocked the secret. Thanks for sharing it with us at JPP.

Sure, you (without opinion) obviously stand against unionization. What IS the fix here then kiddo?

McDonalds gets Unionization or Minimum wage goes up? Neither is not an option .....

Again, it's not FORCED unionization, it's forcing Monopoly Corporations to allow Unions.

Sure, you (without opinion) obviously stand against unionization. What IS the fix here then kiddo?

McDonalds gets Unionization or Minimum wage goes up? Neither is not an option .....

Again, it's not FORCED unionization, it's forcing Monopoly Corporations to allow Unions.

The article is about education, not unions or the minimum wage, kiddo.

1. Our nation’s education assessment is largely derived from graduation rate. Every year, only 69 percent of American high school seniors earn their diploma.

31% of our kids not graduating High School is unacceptable. Talk about a drain on society.

2. Thirty years ago, America was the leader in quantity and quality of high school diplomas. Today, our nation is ranked 18th out of 23 industrialized countries.

I would love to see the criteria used for those rankings.

3. Each year, 1.3 million high school students fail to graduate on time.
The states with the highest graduation rates (80-89 percent) are Wisconsin, Iowa, Vermont, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
The states with the lowest graduation rates (less than 60 percent) are Nevada, New Mexico, Louisiana, Georgia, and South Carolina.

This goes with #1. It is still unacceptable. I fail to see the usefulness of listing the states here though.

4. The 6 million high schoolers in the bottom 25 percent of their class are 20 times more likely to drop out than their peers in the top 25 percent.

Well duh... I could have told you this without any study. We need to look at the "why" of these kids being in the bottom 25%.

5. If the 1.3 million dropouts from the Class of 2010 had graduated, the nation would have seen $337 billion more in earnings over the course of the students’ lifetimes.

Exactly why #1 and #3 are unacceptable and why something needs to be done.

6. Approximately 6 million students grades 7 through 12 are struggling to read at grade-level. Among the highest, 70 percent of 8th graders read below the standard.

Several contributing factors here. Non-English speaking households or kids for whom English is a second language is one, but IMO, by far the greatest contributor os social promotion. Parents have far too much say in whether their failing or poor performing child is held back or not.

7. Teacher quality is one of the most significant factors related to student achievement. In the U.S., 14 percent of new teachers resign by the end of their first year, 33 percent leave within their first 3 years, and almost 50 percent leave by their 5th year.

Teaching is tough. No doubt about it. I'm tired and have had a pretty easy time in my 27+ years as a teacher. But I know a lot of places aren't like where I teach. Discipline is virtually non-existent in many places. The inmates are allowed to run the asylum far too often as teachers in many schools are verbally abused and are verbally or physically threatened by both students and parents. Combine that with low teacher pay in many states, like mine, and there aren't many quality candidates for teaching positions. I certainly don't encourage my best and brightest students to become teachers.

8. In the workplace, 85 percent of current jobs and 90 percent of new jobs require some or more college or postsecondary education.

And I think this is bogus. While I encourage my students to give college a try, college isn't for everyone. The quicker we learn that little lesson the better. Ant there are still jobs that don't require a college degree. And as a country we need to make sure there continue to be. More need to be created. I blame unions to a small extent, but most of all I blame greedy business practices. A country needs a strong manufacturing base and we've shipped ours outta here. It's gonna cost us big time, IMO.

9. Roughly half of the students who enter a 4-year school will receive a bachelor’s degree within 6 years.

Yes, it takes perseverance to get through college and, as I said, it isn't for everyone.

10. In schools made up of 75 percent or more low-income students, there are triple the number of out-of-field teachersOur nation’s education assessment is largely derived from graduation rate. Every year, only 69 percent of American high school seniors earn their diploma.

Yes, see response to #7.

11. High schools are not preparing students with the skills and knowledge necessary to excel after graduation. Only 1 in 4 high school students graduate college-ready in the four core subjects of English, reading, math, and science.

I can say that this is true. It needs to be fixed. One problem is that we expect every kid to learn at the same rate and just pass them on through elementary school (see second half of my response to #6) so that when they're in high school you have a class of kids whose abilities range from being ready to tackle three dimensional algebra to the kid who still doesn't know what 6 x 7 is. So what do you do? Most teach to the middle and that doesn't prepare the majority of kids for college.

I could say a lot about this but it's late and I'm ready to go to bed, but one of these days were going to have to start holding kids back, teaching them that there are some things that they HAVE to do, and eventually separating them according to career paths, or something similar. I feel like I have been a good teacher. So many of my kids have gone on to become good productive citizens doing things ranging from being doctors to being drillers at rig sites to being welders or swappers. But I am nearing the end of my career and if I were a young person today with my future ahead of me I would not go into education, things being what they are today.

lr, question for you on this comment you made, "but one of these days were going to have to start holding kids back, teaching them that there are some things that they HAVE to do, and eventually separating them according to career paths, or something similar"

At what age do you envision separating kids based on career path?

I blame unions to a small extent, but most of all I blame greedy business practices. A country needs a strong manufacturing base and we've shipped ours outta here. It's gonna cost us big time, IMO.

No, we haven't shipped ours anywhere. We've simply automated it (in large part because of unions and minimum wage laws). My lab works 24/7 and we have to turn away work constantly. Manufacturing is MASSIVE. It's just not people doing the majority of labor.

lr, question for you on this comment you made, "but one of these days were going to have to start holding kids back, teaching them that there are some things that they HAVE to do, and eventually separating them according to career paths, or something similar"

At what age do you envision separating kids based on career path?

In some countries they do it around 6th or 7th grade, but I am not for it being that early. I would say by 16 we need to have a hard look at the direction of a kid's education and make some decisions. Also, in several of the countries that make that separation/distinction, it is nearly impossible for a kid to get back to the "college track." I would recommend some safeguards and incentives for a way back.

force all Corporations to have a Union. This would keep the Monopoly Corporations like Wal-Mart and McDonalds from driving up the minimum wage which small business relies on to survive.

Wal-Mart & McDonalds are ”driving up the minimum wage?” Gee! Who’d have thunk it????

Oh yeah! Unionizing McDonalds would really feature win-fall profits for SMALL businesses since McDonalds is a collective of SMALL franchised businesses just begging to pay union burger flippers $25.00 an hour and charge $15.00 for a BIG Mac, huh genius? Your head is so fucking far up your stupid ass you can inspect your tonsils.

Back