2001, A Space Odyssey.

Ross Dolan

Contributor
Just read a Quora question about watching a movie many times...and it raised a question of my own. Thought I would see if anyone here wanted to discuss it.

I've talked with many people who think the Stanley Kubrick movie 2001, A Space Odyssey...stunk.

I, on the other hand, was mesmerized by it. I saw it first within days of its release...and just could not get it out of my head.

I saw it in theaters...13 TIMES!

And I have watched it (mostly parts of it) on TV many times.

I even love the musical score...all of it, not just "The Blue Danube Waltz."

Anyone here have a special love or hate for this movie?

My Papa took me to see it in the theater when I was just a little boy, and even at that age it made a lasting impression. I have seen it multiple times, and I particularly liked the book which I subsequently read as a teen. With adult hindsight, I think I know what struck me about it even as a little boy: it was revolutionary for the genre of science fiction movies, the special effects were stunning for the time, and it was just so different and visionary compared to all other film out there, that it couldn't help but make an impression on me

Just read a Quora question about watching a movie many times...and it raised a question of my own. Thought I would see if anyone here wanted to discuss it.

I've talked with many people who think the Stanley Kubrick movie 2001, A Space Odyssey...stunk.

I, on the other hand, was mesmerized by it. I saw it first within days of its release...and just could not get it out of my head.

Yes it was pretty amazing back then but much of it looks pretty dated these days. To be honest the Sentinel, the short story by Isaac Asimov on which it's based, is not that interesting. I saw it originally, with the help of pharmaceuticals, and that was a weird experience. I have iseen it several times since then and just can't help seeing all the faults!!

Last edited:
Yes it was pretty amazing back then but much of it looks pretty dated these days. To be honest the Sentinel, the short story by Isaac Asimov on which it's based, is not that interesting. I saw it originally, with the help of pharmaceuticals, and that was a weird experience. I have iseen it several times since then and just can't help seeing all the faults!!

I know what you mean, HM. But it was 1968 when it was released...and that is over a half-century ago.

On my Foxfire feed, a story about it just came up this morning...with lots of emphasis on Kubrick...and on the influence the picture played in other sci-fi movies.

It and Blade Runner are my favorite sci-fi films.

It's cinematically stunning, most of the time, for it's age even in modern times.

But it seemed stuffy and rather boring and it really didn't tell that good of a story.

I know what you mean, HM. But it was 1968 when it was released...and that is over a half-century ago.

On my Foxfire feed, a story about it just came up this morning...with lots of emphasis on Kubrick...and on the influence the picture played in other sci-fi movies.

It and Blade Runner are my favorite sci-fi films.

I was not impressed with blade runner. I've tried multiple times to like it, I never liked film noir. And the attempt to do that with sci-fi really made it hard to watch. Big fan however if Philip k dick

Back