39 years ago today

Little-Acorn

On July 20, 1969, for the first time in human history, man walked on the surface of another planet, when Neil Armstrong stepped off the Lunar Excursion Module onto the moon.

It was an event which will be remembered five thousand years from now, long after most of what happened in this era is forgotten.

It was also the same weekend that Teddy Kennedy got drunk and left a girl to die in his submerged car outside Chappaquiddick. Ironically, it was his dead brothers dream being fulfilled with man walking on the moon by the end of the 60's but newspapers had man's walk on the moon headlining the same day as the hero of Chappaquiddicks unfortunate news.

Let the hate start to fly.

On July 20, 1969, for the first time in human history, man walked on the surface of another planet, when Neil Armstrong stepped off the Lunar Excursion Module onto the moon.

It was an event which will be remembered five thousand years from now, long after most of what happened in this era is forgotten.

Gotcha... :)

It was also the same weekend that Teddy Kennedy got drunk and left a girl to die in his submerged car outside Chappaquiddick. Ironically, it was his dead brothers dream being fulfilled with man walking on the moon by the end of the 60's but newspapers had man's walk on the moon headlining the same day as the hero of Chappaquiddicks unfortunate news.

And here... we... go. -Joker

.....and he was from my home town of Wapakoneta, Ohio! :cof1:

During the moon landings my brother, cousin and I watched the TV reporters interviewing Armstrong's parents from the top of their neighbors garage.

/hate

TeddyVWad.jpg

It was a take-off by National Lampoon, on a commercial actually put on TV by Volkswagen. As such, it was one of the greatest spoofs of all time, due in no small part to its absolute truth.

In their "real"commercial, VW was trying to point out how well the doors fitted etc. on its cars, in contrast to the loose-fitting dors, creaky seals etc. of American cars. They showed a VW bug floating in water, maybe a swimming pool. And the narrator was saying, look, the VW is so well put together, it barely leaks any water, boy that is good body construction etc. It was an OK commercial. And well-remembered for the weird sight of a car floating in deep water.

Some time after that, Ted Kennedy ran for President and lost. Chappaquiddick was brought up, but mostly downplayed by the media which was almost as biased then as it is now.

Then National Lampoon came out with that print ad, which looked amazingly like the commercial for obvious reasons. The circulation of the magazine tripled overnight.

It was one of the greatest ads I've ever seen. Even if it was a spoof.

Yup, I have the Boston Globe with split hedlines.

Back