401 Ks helping create inequality

evince

Truthmatters
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ng-inequality-worse/?wprss=rss_national&clsrd

401(k)s are replacing pensions. That’s making inequality worse.

The once-dominant defined benefit pension plan–which pays out a fixed amount after an employee retires–is on its way to becoming an historical artifact. More and more employers are offering 401(k) plans instead, which require employees to pay into their own accounts, sometimes with and sometimes without a matching contribution. And according to a new analysis from the labor-oriented Economic Policy Institute, the effect has been a stratification of retirement savings by education, income, and race–which could deepen inequality among the elderly as the population ages.

It’s actually possible to tell a positive story here, in which the average size of retirement accounts has grown overall in recent decades, and aggregate saving and household net worth as a percentage of income have started to bounce back since the recession first hit in 2008:

But the moral starts to change as you look underneath the numbers. Those benefits split among a smaller share of the population: Overall, the percentage of workers participating in all employer-based retirement plans declined over the past couple decades, across all age groups.

Nope, I care about others. I also believe that big boys and girls can choose to save their money too. Those that truly can't afford to pay $60/mon for cable, $60 for internets, and $100 on luxury products are the ones I want to help. They are the ones who need a second chance via welfare.

like I said you only care about you.

saying you do care and then sticking with an Idea that clearly harms many many people is nothing but sociopathic bullshit

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ng-inequality-worse/?wprss=rss_national&clsrd

The once-dominant defined benefit pension plan–which pays out a fixed amount after an employee retires–is on its way to becoming an historical artifact. More and more employers are offering 401(k) plans instead, which require employees to pay into their own accounts, sometimes with and sometimes without a matching contribution. And according to a new analysis from the labor-oriented Economic Policy Institute, the effect has been a stratification of retirement savings by education, income, and race–which could deepen inequality among the elderly as the population ages.

It’s actually possible to tell a positive story here, in which the average size of retirement accounts has grown overall in recent decades, and aggregate saving and household net worth as a percentage of income have started to bounce back since the recession first hit in 2008:

But the moral starts to change as you look underneath the numbers. Those benefits split among a smaller share of the population: Overall, the percentage of workers participating in all employer-based retirement plans declined over the past couple decades, across all age groups.

Can sure relate to this. I worked at a company for 7 years; and recently realized I will be getting a monthly pension from it.... not huge, but for 7 years, not bad. Hadn't expected it; had cashed out my stock I had vested in them, and didn't think I had anything else coming.

Since that company, I've been doing 401(k)s and what with the 2000 crash and the 2007 crash, really don't seem to be getting ahead. I have what I've put into it, but it doesn't seem to be growing any. Granted I'm not a financial expert, but I don't want to have to be one...

Sometimes I kick myself - if I had just stayed with that first company, between pension and stock, I would have been doing pretty good by now. Oh well... I was young.

Can sure relate to this. I worked at a company for 7 years; and recently realized I will be getting a monthly pension from it.... not huge, but for 7 years, not bad. Hadn't expected it; had cashed out my stock I had vested in them, and didn't think I had anything else coming.

Since that company, I've been doing 401(k)s and what with the 2000 crash and the 2007 crash, really don't seem to be getting ahead. I have what I've put into it, but it doesn't seem to be growing any. Granted I'm not a financial expert, but I don't want to have to be one...

Sometimes I kick myself - if I had just stayed with that first company, between pension and stock, I would have been doing pretty good by now. Oh well... I was young.

its great when things are going smooth and they match.

You cant count on that and it why pensions were done.

a pension does what middle to poor people need which is a GUARANTEE that you will have some basic income.

I'm a not a financial expert but if you've invested over a number of years and the stock market is in record territory and your account isn't doing well something seems off there. (not trying to put you down or attack you with that btw)

that is another thing about 401ks.

You have to manage them.

I did mine and lost very little because I adjusted mine when I saw the crash coming.

Its doing pretty damned well.

I know many many people who were FORCED to use their 401 k money up in the crash.

I'm a not a financial expert but if you've invested over a number of years and the stock market is in record territory and your account isn't doing well something seems off there. (not trying to put you down or attack you with that btw)

yeah. I agree. I'm probably too hands off and am probably a low priority for the person who handles my account...

that is another thing about 401ks.

You have to manage them.

I did mine and lost very little because I adjusted mine when I saw the crash coming.

Its doing pretty damned well.

I know many many people who were FORCED to use their 401 k money up in the crash.

Yeah, it's that managing thing... of course, there is the potential that the company who manages the pension fund is going to screw up as well, but it seems to make more sense for a few experts at a company to manage the money than that thousands of employees have to learn to do it.

yeah. I agree. I'm probably too hands off and am probably a low priority for the person who handles my account...

retirement plans are for everyone.

financial experts are NOT who these programs are designed for.

the sink or swim attitude is sociopathic

why does the right back everything that harms the middle class?

When did this become a right/left issue? If I'm not mistaken 401k's were created in 1978 with a Democratic Congress and Jimmy Carter as President. Why would they create something to harm the middle class?

because the right has fought from that point and even before to kill unions which negociate pension plans.

they want the pensions gone.

just look at their voting record

Here since this is the only source you are capable of understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/401(k)

You can thank your democrat party for bringing us 401Ks. In 1978, who ran Congress and who was President? Think peanut and not your brain.

Funny you keep calling it sociopathy. I guess the term racist or homophobe just don't apply here, so you have to blacklist the opposition somehow.

Why don't you want people to own their actions and financial decisions? Always messing with the social contract.

Back