5 Critical Obama Mistakes

A while back, I posted a thread detailing 5 critical mistakes of McCain in this election campaign. In fairness, I have decided to do the same for Senator Obama. I know this will be met with the typical partisan rhetoric, but what the hell... if I did it to McCain, I can do it to Obama as well.

1. Running against the wrong opponent.
McSame, McBush... Bush's 3rd term... all indicating that John McCain is equivalent to George W. Bush. They have based their entire campaign on this illusion, and nothing is further from the truth. McCain' track record shows him to be much more fiscally conservative than Bush, and less socially conservative. He has a history of 'bipartisanship' which Bush has never been able to accomplish as president. While I understand the temptation to place the yoke of an unpopular administration around the neck of McCain, you really can't be more 'opposite' of Bush than McCain has been, and still be called a Republican.

2. Hope and Change.
While many Americans do indeed want and hope for change, most of them realize, regardless of which candidate is elected, we will have change. This ties in to the previous point, where Democrats seem to think they are running against Bush instead of McCain. The mantra of Hope and Change has been largely undefined, except to continually point out, Obama is a change from Bush, but so is McCain.

3. Wrong VP Pick.
During the primaries, we saw a stark division in the Democratic party. Almost evenly split between the Hillary and Obama supporters. The chance for party unity came with the VP selection, and Obama missed the opportunity by not selecting Hillary. She would have solidified the party, and made the ticket 'bulletproof' going into the general election. Instead, Obama has endured the constant 'gaffe machine' known as Joe Biden, who basically detracts from the momentum previously established by Obama.

4. Wrong platform.
Starting out, the 'popularity' of an Obama candidacy was his position regarding the Iraq war, but things have gotten better in Iraq and the war is not the primary issue on the minds of the voters. It has turned into the issue of the economy, with an emphasis on energy cost. Meanwhile, the Obama campaign has dusted off, and trotted out the old Walter Mondale platform regarding the economy, talking about 'windfall profits tax' and more government spending than we can afford. The American people soundly rejected these ideas in 1980, but the Obama campaign is banking on the fact that most young voters won't remember this, and will embrace this 'new' old stock.

5. Reactionary politics.
How many times have we seen Obama compelled to react to something that has been said in the media? Each time he does this, it actually draws more attention to the charge, than if he had just ignored it and moved on. People look for a leader who is 'unshakable' and can rise above petty complaints, without feeling the need to respond to every thing that comes down the pike. Obama expends an awful lot of precious political 'air-time' responding to the latest accusations, or addressing the latest rumor, instead of focusing on his message and rising above this sort of thing. He comes across as being on the defensive, and there is no need for it.

He'd be an idiot to not continue to tie Bush to McCain; Republican strategists even admit that, and polls bear out that it's working.

While I agree that McCain is NOT Bush, as far as the overall direction of the country - on a wide range of issues - McCain would not make the kind of changes that are needed to fundamentally change that direction. In that sense, he is much, much closer to a 3rd Bush term than you are characterizing.

"Hope & Change", as a theme, HAS been expounded upon with great detail - on everything from education to healthcare to energy. You just have your ears plugged up on that one.

And Biden was a great choice - experience & foreign policy expertise were exactly what he needed. Again, polls have borne that out.

He'd be an idiot to not continue to tie Bush to McCain; Republican strategists even admit that, and polls bear out that it's working.

While I agree that McCain is NOT Bush, as far as the overall direction of the country - on a wide range of issues - McCain would not make the kind of changes that are needed to fundamentally change that direction. In that sense, he is much, much closer to a 3rd Bush term than you are characterizing.

"Hope & Change", as a theme, HAS been expounded upon with great detail - on everything from education to healthcare to energy. You just have your ears plugged up on that one.

And Biden was a great choice - experience & foreign policy expertise were exactly what he needed. Again, polls have borne that out.

All three points are valid with the left-wing radicals of the party, not the needed independents. 'McSame' plays well with your crowd, the left-wing nutballs he already had in his corner. It doesn't necessarily win over any votes from the middle, because most of them realize, as you indicated, McCain is nothing like Bush.

Hope and Change have not been expounded on, it is a direct correlation to the image of "McSame" and the connection attempting to be made to Bush. Again, it plays well to the base, to the left-wing radicals, but it means nothing to true independents. My ears are not plugged, I am hearing the exact same platform Mondale lost on in 1980.

Biden was a horrible choice, as opposed to Hillary Clinton. Hell, Biden is a horrible choice REGARDLESS! The man is a walking, talking, gaffe machine! He has been nothing but a liability for the Obama campaign, since he was selected. Hillary would have solidified the party, and easily defeated John McCain. As it stands, over 30% of the Hillary voters plan to NOT vote for Obama... that's what your "polls" show.

I don't see anyone talk about Biden the way you do, save for maybe Hannity. He's acknowledged as being very smart & tough even by Republicans. 7 out of 10 Americans think he's ready to be President, as opposed to 4 out of 10 for Palin. There is no other way to put it: you're just wrong about him (and you were wrong about him in the debate, as well; he is widely perceived at this point to have won handily, even though Palin scored style points & surpassed the low expectations set for her).

Like I said, Obama has laid out in great detail what he means by change in education, energy, healthcare & a range of issues. Most are dramatic departures from Bush's policies & those that McCain is advocating. If you don't understand that, you're not paying any attention (and with you, I know it's just something you don't want to believe; you want to just keep repeating that all he says is "hope & change," so you plug up your ears.)

And you're wrong about the idea that this all only appeals to "left wing radicals." In case you haven't been keeping up w/ current events, McCain is taking a beating right now. Gallup & Rasmussen have Obama up by 8. McCain's campaign said today that when the discussion is about the economy, "we lose."

Last edited:
I don't see anyone talk about Biden the way you do, save for maybe Hannity. He's acknowledged as being very smart & tough even by Republicans. 7 out of 10 Americans think he's ready to be President, as opposed to 4 out of 10 for Palin. There is no other way to put it: you're just wrong about him (and you were wrong about him in the debate, as well; he is widely perceived at this point to have won handily, even though Palin scored style points & surpassed the low expectations set for her).

Like I said, Obama has laid out in great detail what he means by change in education, energy, healthcare & a range of issues. Most are dramatic departures from Bush's policies & those that McCain is advocating. If you don't understand that, you're not paying any attention (and with you, I know it's just something you don't want to believe; you want to just keep repeating that all he says is "hope & change," so you plug up your ears.)

And you're wrong about the idea that this all only appeals to "left wing radicals." In case you haven't been keeping up w/ current events, McCain is taking a beating right now. Gallup & Rasmussen have Obama up by 8. McCain's campaign said today that when the discussion is about the economy, "we lose."

Biden lied and mislead his way through the debate, and it was said to be his "best performance ever" which means he hasn't ever really been worth a shit. Palin was compared to Kennedy in the Kennedy-Nixon debates of 1960, where the more experienced statesman (Nixon) did not prevail with the audience over the lesser experienced 'fresh face' of Kennedy. Palin did remarkably well, considering what she was up against, and this was admitted by even the radical nuts at MSNBC!

Obama has almost word for word, laid out the agenda and platform of 1980 with Walter Mondale. I have not said that "Hope and Change" are empty words, since back at the start of the primaries. You apparently haven't been reading what I post. I clearly am saying, his message of "Hope and Change" are not really hope or change, they are a throwback to 1980, when Walter Mondale lost the election to Ronald Reagan. That was what Obama ended up defining his "Hope and Change" message with, the tired old Democrat Liberal platform of Carter's VP. There is nothing NEW about his ideas, nothing indicative of change, unless "change" means going back in time to 1980, and trying a stupid liberal concept we aborted to go with Reganomics.

As for McCain and the economy, I think the reason he is taking a beating is because he isn't really talking much about the economy. He needs to articulate how we go about fixing the mess, giving specific plans and ideas, not a bunch of slogans and platitudes. He is kind of making the same mistake Bush Sr. made against Clinton, and being a little to unconcerned about the politics of what is happening to his support. Obama is not really 'gaining' any support, McCain is simply losing support. But... this thread is not the "McCain criticism" thread, that was a few weeks ago, this is the "Obama criticism" thread, so let's stay on topic, eh?

Back