5 Excerpts From JD Vance’s Emails to a Transgender Classmate

NakedHunterBiden

“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”

Oct. 23, 2014

‘I hate the police.’​

In October 2014, in the wake of the killing of Michael Brown, a Black 18-year-old, by a white police officer in Ferguson, Mo., Nelson raised the idea of requiring that police officers wear body cameras.
Mr. Vance responded with sympathy for those upset by the police violence.

00nat-vance-emails-police-articleLarge.jpg

A screenshot of an email from Mr. Vance to Nelson.
Dec. 9, 2015

‘What seems different to me is that the Republican Party offers nothing that’s as attractive as the demagogue.’​

In 2015, Mr. Vance was opposed to Mr. Trump’s candidacy.
In December of that year, Nelson wrote to Mr. Vance that a Muslim friend had said that women wearing hijabs no longer felt safe doing simple things like going to the grocery store.

Mr. Vance responded, referring to Mr. Trump as a demagogue.
00nat-vance-emails-trump-articleLarge.jpg

An excerpt from an email from Mr. Vance in 2015.
June 29, 2016

‘I recognize now that this may not accurately reflect how you think of yourself, and for that I’m really sorry.’​

In his book, “Hillbilly Elegy,” Mr. Vance referred to Nelson as a lesbian, and later sent a note to apologize.

2024 Election: Live Updates

Updated
July 27, 2024, 1:03 p.m. ET1 hour ago

Nelson wrote back the same day, calling Mr. Vance “buddy” and thanking him for “being sweet,” adding, “If you had written gender queer radical pragmatist nobody would know what you mean.” Nelson asked for an autographed copy, then signed off with, “Love, Sofia.”
00nat-vance-emails-progressive-articleLarge.jpg

A screenshot of an email from Mr. Vance to Nelson in 2016.
Sept. 22, 2016

‘The more white people feel like voting for Trump, the more Black people will suffer.’​

In September 2016, Mr. Vance shared a piece on implicit bias that he wrote for The New York Times following Hillary Clinton’s ill-fated “basket of deplorables” comment, thanking Nelson in the email for helping inform his thinking in developing the essay.
27nat-vance-emails-highlights01-80463-articleLarge.jpg

An excerpt from an email from Mr. Vance in September 2016.

Oct. 4, 2016

‘A morally reprehensible human being.’​

As the 2016 election neared, Nelson wrote of plans to go door-knocking for Mrs. Clinton.
Mr. Vance, living in California at the time, wrote that “I’m counting my lucky stars that I live in a place where I don’t have to vote for her (because the margin will be so huge), because I know I could never support Trump if it really mattered.”
Still, like many, Mr. Vance predicted that Mrs. Clinton would prevail, and called Mr. Trump a “disaster.”
27nat-vance-email-highlights-reprehensible-articleLarge.jpg

A screenshot of an email from Mr. Vance to Nelson in October 2016.

See more on: Donald Trump, 2024 Elections

Back