600 billion a year for tax enforcement?

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
I had been hearing some rather dubious claims about how much it costs to enforce our tax system. I have had conservatives, at various times, tell me that it costs 1/3 of the total government receipts to enforce it, and at other times over 600 billion.

The fact is that the entire IRS by itself is seventy billion a year. The tax law enforcement division takes up a gob smacking 0.5 million a year - literally almost a hundredth of what they had claimed. Which is certainly hefty, but not exactly, those ridiculous sums that conservatards had been making up. These people have been using these lies to sell the largest proposed middle class tax increase in American history - otherwise known as the flat tax.

The only thing I can think of that they were doing was taking the entire budget of the treasury department (which is roughly 600 billion a year) and saying that that was the tax collection budget. In actuality, almost all of that money goes to paying down the debt. Which we have, surprisingly enough, because conservatives refuse to raise taxes to reasonable levels, and still rely on the doctrine that was disproved almost twenty years ago, that if you cut taxes on the rich the receipts from those areas will increase at a faster rate than if you had them higher. In fact, that only works when taxes are ultra high. Like in the supra-70% area.

Why do we trust these liars? I have no idea. Republicans want nothing more than to raise your taxes, ship your job overseas, put blacks in prison for smoking pot, and to get rid of any social safety nets. These are, frankly, sociopathic ideas, and modern society should not tolerate them. Conservatism is a mental disorder. It is the largest mental disorder affecting the American population right now. I hope that one day there will be a cure, but until then, we should not allow them to vote.

Last edited:
I had been hearing some rather dubious claims about how much it costs to enforce our tax system. I have had conservatives, at various times, tell me that it costs 1/3 of the total government receipts to enforce it, and at other times over 600 billion.

The fact is that the entire IRS by itself is seventy billion a year. The tax law enforcement division takes up a gob smacking 0.5 million a year - literally almost a hundredth of what they had claimed. Which is certainly hefty, but not exactly, those ridiculous sums that conservatards had been making up. These people have been using these lies to sell the largest proposed middle class tax increase in American history - otherwise known as the flat tax.

The only thing I can think of that they were doing was taking the entire budget of the treasury department (which is roughly 600 billion a year) and saying that that was the tax collection budget. In actuality, almost all of that money goes to paying down the debt. Which we have, surprisingly enough, because conservatives refuse to raise taxes to reasonable levels, and still rely on the doctrine that was disproved almost twenty years ago, that if you cut taxes on the rich the receipts from those areas will increase at a faster rate than if you had them higher. In fact, that only works when taxes are ultra high. Like in the supra-70% area.

Why do we trust these liars? I have no idea. Republicans want nothing more than to raise your taxes, ship your job overseas, put blacks in prison for smoking pot, and to get rid of any social safety nets. These are, frankly, sociopathic ideas, and modern society should not tolerate them. Conservatism is a mental disorder. It is the largest mental disorder affecting the American population right now. I hope that one day there will be a cure, but until then, we should not allow them to vote.
You do know your figures are a bit off, don't you?

And do you have a link to somebody claiming 600 Billion rather than say, oh. 6 Billion?

The income tax collects 1.2 trillion a year.
At least read the synopsis for gawds' sakes!

In 2004 they collected over 2 trillion.

Geez, man. Educate yourself and arm yourself with actual information or you'll simply look sad.

At least read the synopsis for gawds' sakes!

In 2004 they collected over 2 trillion.

Geez, man. Educate yourself and arm yourself with actual information or you'll simply look sad.

If you count corporate taxes, SS taxes, Excise taxes, estate taxes, and custom duties sure.

I was referring to the personal income tax.

Back