A bitter xenophobe?

"If I'm honest with myself, I must admit that I'm not entirely immune to such nativist sentiments. When I see Mexican flags waved at pro-immigration demonstrations, I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I'm forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car, I feel a certain frustration."

"If I'm honest with myself, I must admit that I'm not entirely immune to such nativist sentiments. When I see Mexican flags waved at pro-immigration demonstrations, I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I'm forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car, I feel a certain frustration."

When you have to use the translator to talk to the guy fixing your car, are you at the dealership? Or are you trying to get by going someplace cheaper?

And? The context of the passage might help make the meaning clearer.

Was this part of him talking about understanding the problems?

Was this part of a greater point he was making about his plans for our kids to learn spanish?

Was it in a portion of the book where he discussed his failings?

It seems to me that this really doesn't say much.

Does anyone wonder about the context of Stalin's or Hitler's rantings?

Context is important. With Stalin and Hitler, when you put them in context it doesn't change the meaning of what they're saying. With Obama, you take him out of context and you make him out to be something he's obviously not - xenophobic.

Is it possible that Obama the opportunist will say whatever he thinks his audience of the moment wants to hear?

Read his books. I find it amusing that his apologists, who whine about "context" don't seem to have done so. If they had, they'd be able to provide the "context" themselves...

Is it possible that Obama the opportunist will say whatever he thinks his audience of the moment wants to hear?

Read his books. I find it amusing that his apologists, who whine about "context" don't seem to have done so. If they had, they'd be able to provide the "context" themselves...

You think he wanted to say something xenophobic to appeal to people like you? Doubtful.

My guess is he thought people who read his book were intelligent enough to deduce context from it. You are obviously not one who reads books, but one who drags quotes from FreeRepublic.com out of context because he's out of intellectual ammo.

I am not apologizing for Obama. But I have seen you, indisputable, post often enough to see a tendency to ignore some facts in order to make a point.

If the context shows a different meaning in Obama's writings, then the context matters. In Hitler & Stalin's writings we are looking at them AFTER the fact. And the facts of their reigns were quite clear. But you are trying to take a specific selection, out of context, in order to make a PREDICTION about Obama's beliefs and motives.

So you can provide the wider context that will render Obama's statements innocuous?

Didn't think so.

The notion that a man's autobiographical writings are not indicative of his values, beliefs, character and (gasp) intentions is infantile.

I wonder how many Nazis read Mein Kampf.

Would it have mattered?

So you can provide the wider context that will render Obama's statements innocuous?

Didn't think so.

The notion that a man's autobiographical writings are not indicative of his values, beliefs, character and (gasp) intentions is infantile.

I wonder how many Nazis read Mein Kampf.

Would it have mattered?

Mein Kampf was the second best selling book to the bible in Germany. It was much more well read than anything Obama has written. And who the hell needs to read his books to know where or not they want to vote for him over McCain?

Did you read W's books before electing him? ;)

IBdumb

why don't you explain the context? Until you do, i'm afraid you look like an idiot. anyone can pull the magic word out of their ass like you did. You're a dumbass.

Indie didn't read the book or the context. He pulled the quote off of some right wing site that puts a lot of quotes like this out of context, just like the other quote he posted about speaking Spanish (which, when seen in context, had a meaning that was about 180 degrees from what indie had believed & tried to push on everyone, even though he wouldn't read it in context or admit that).

To reiterate, indie - yes, context IS important. I'm trying to help out, here.

56800000_f3b57c7c37_o.gif

Back