A Government Jobs Program

DeMartMan

During the Great Depression FDR created work programs which was part of the solution to that economic crisis. This might just be what we need now, a jobs program could be the answer to all of our prayers. What we need as Nation is enough jobs to meet the needs of the working public, enough money in circulation to stimulate the retail market and a large enough taxable base to keep the tax burden on us all low.

Think about this; we could put everyone between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five into a government jobs program. This would shrink the labor pool which would increase the wage leave of the American worker and thus increase the size of the middle class. That would have the side affect of increasing the tax revenue and reduce the National debt, which would stimulate the economy even more.

This would be a benefit to our young people as working for the government would teach them good work ethics. It would give them skills and training to do a whole host of jobs. The government could teach them to become engineers, nurses, mechanics and so on. They could do many of the tasks that the Country so desperately needs done. So, what would be wrong with a government jobs program?

Last edited:
Good with one big flaw. We are competing with the world now in the global marketplace. Salaries would not rise much.
We could however employ lots more illegal immigrants.
Good for the economy bad for America.

Becoming a consumer based economy has screwed us good for a long time.

During the Great Depression FDR created work programs which was part of the solution to that economic crisis. This might just be what we need now, a jobs program could be the answer to all of our prayers. What we need as Nation is enough jobs to meet the needs of the working public, enough money in circulation to stimulate the retail market and a large enough taxable base to keep the tax burden on us all low.

Think about this; we were to put everyone between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five into a government jobs program. This work shrink the labor pool which would increase the wage leave of the American worker and thus increase the size of the middle class. That would have the side affect of increasing the tax revenue and reduce the National debt, which would stimulate the economy even more.

This would be a benefit to our young people as working for the government would teach them good work ethics. It would give them skills and training to do a whole host of jobs. The government could teach them to become engineers, nurses, mechanics and so on. They could do many of the tasks that the Country so desperately needs done. So, what would be wrong with a government jobs program?

But ummmm....FDR didn't "solve" the Depression, however aesthetically appealing his WPA "jobs program" might appear when viewed through glasses tinted a nice shade of nostalgic Rose. If getting Americans back to work is the objective, enforcing existing citizenship regulations for employers would by a great deal less expensive.

In any case, welcome to the new home of so many of the AOL Board refugees. I for one still marvel that so many of us have managed to come together again after the abrupt collapse of the old Boards. I think you'll like the formatting here (as well as the absence of spamming psychos... ; ).

Good with one big flaw. We are competing with the world now in the global marketplace. Salaries would not rise much.
We could however employ lots more illegal immigrants.
Good for the economy bad for America.

Becoming a consumer based economy has screwed us good for a long time.

Well, yes that would have to be dealt with, I have always said that the answer to the illegal immigrants could be solved by billing the country that they are from. If Mexico had to pay, they would guard our border for us.

Well, yes that would have to be dealt with, I have always said that the answer to the illegal immigrants could be solved by billing the country that they are from. If Mexico had to pay, they would guard our border for us.

Heck money sent home by illegal workers is perhaps the biggest cash influx that Mexico has.

Really cracking on those who hire illegal workers is the key to stopping it. an automatic 1 year prison term per illegal knowingly hired would go a long way. And if no documentation showing you checked you are assumed to have knowingly hired the illegal. And if at a corporate level the corp loses all its liscences to operate for 1 year.

Also a major felony for posessing a forged social security card.

As the recession has shown. no jobs for illegals no illegals.

Last edited:
But ummmm....FDR didn't "solve" the Depression, however aesthetically appealing his WPA "jobs program" might appear when viewed through glasses tinted a nice shade of nostalgic Rose. If getting Americans back to work is the objective, enforcing existing citizenship regulations for employers would by a great deal less expensive.

In any case, welcome to the new home of so many of the AOL Board refugees. I for one still marvel that so many of us have managed to come together again after the abrupt collapse of the old Boards. I think you'll like the formatting here (as well as the absence of spamming psychos... ; ).

Thanks nj, I almost signed off before seeing your post. I'll have to post this and sign off but it is good to see you. Without arguing about FDR or the New Deal what do you think about this Government work program? Sorry, that I can't stick around as I have to get up at 0430, yes I do like this place, I just don't get to post as much as I use to. Good Night,
Marty

Thanks nj, I almost signed off before seeing your post. I'll have to post this and sign off but it is good to see you. Without arguing about FDR or the New Deal what do you think about this Government work program? Sorry, that I can't stick around as I have to get up at 0430, yes I do like this place, I just don't get to post as much as I use to. Good Night,
Marty

I expect that if the recession lasts into next year we will see public works jobs similar to FDR's. And they would be a good thing. Many things built by WPA and such now need replacing or repaired. The USA gained a lot of infrastructure form the public works programs. And our economy will not recover as long as enough people have no jobs.
The pitfall of a consumer based economy.

Marty

"I just don't get to post as much as I use to".

I'm hip...

As far as the Gov. Wk. Prgm., it strikes me as being as overblown and ineffectual as the "stimulus" program. I recall someone pointing out that deficits and budgets are suddenly no longer spoken of in Billions now but Trillions. When's the last time you heard any Media handwringing about "mortgaging our childrens future" ? That (Bush) broken record went out the window January 20th 2009...

Back