A Quick Primer on "Mis-speaking"

Onceler

If I say it took me 20 minutes to drive someplace, when it really took 25, I am mis-speaking.

If I say that I crashed my car on the drive, and then - after someone points to my undamaged car in the parking lot - I say, oh, no....I actually drove here without hitting anything, then I haven't really mis-spoken. I have lied.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, but if you said that you were getting sniped, whenever you actually weren't, that would be completely different. I accidentally tell people I got sniped at all the time.

If I say it took me 20 minutes to drive someplace, when it really took 25, I am mis-speaking.

If I say that I crashed my car on the drive, and then - after someone points to my undamaged car in the parking lot - I say, oh, no....I actually drove here without hitting anything, then I haven't really mis-spoken. I have lied.

I hope this helps.
But if you are running for President it behooves you to tell everybody that you participated in the Clone Wars when you just watched the movie, because it helps convince people you are more experienced...

;)

If there were snipers in Bosnia, the copter with the president on it wouldn't have landed, and if the copter had landed, the president wouldn't have been allowed out of his bulletproof cage until the sniper had been neutralized.

And there wouldn't have been snipers.

I hope this helps.

Yeah mis speaking is being caught in a lie.
Well the definition understood by politicians since Ronnie Raygun.
Seems like that is about when this mis speaking thing started.

Hillary has created a newspeak word with her use of Misspoke. Orwell would be proud.

"By 2050—earlier, probably—all real knowledge of Oldspeak will have disappeared. The whole literature of the past will have been destroyed. Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Byron—they'll exist only in Newspeak versions, not merely changed into something different, but actually contradictory of what they used to be. Even the literature of the Party will change. Even the slogans will change. How could you have a slogan like "freedom is slavery" when the concept of freedom has been abolished? The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking—not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness." ---Orwell, George (1949). Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Back