A Taliban Comeback

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975282/site/newsweek/

"In the countryside over the past year Taliban guerrillas have filled a power vacuum that had been created by the relatively light NATO and U.S. military footprint of some 40,000 soldiers, and by the weakness of Afghan President Hamid Karzai's administration."

Most of us who were privy to monkey boys failings as a governor and businessman knew that ultimately he would be a failure as president. However, I did have one glimmer of hope that would pan out in the long run and that was Afghanistan. The latest events in Afghanistan for me highlight the devastating toll the Iraq war has made in Afghanistan and for that 1 glimmer of hope I had for his presidency. He Bush had American and international support for the Afghanistan invasion and he diverted virtually all of that to this absolutely pointless and unjustified nonsense the bush team ironically labeled "Iraqi Freedom". He needs to go.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975282/site/newsweek/

"In the countryside over the past year Taliban guerrillas have filled a power vacuum that had been created by the relatively light NATO and U.S. military footprint of some 40,000 soldiers, and by the weakness of Afghan President Hamid Karzai's administration."

Most of us who were privy to monkey boys failings as a governor and businessman knew that ultimately he would be a failure as president. However, I did have one glimmer of hope that would pan out in the long run and that was Afghanistan. The latest events in Afghanistan for me highlight the devastating toll the Iraq war has made in Afghanistan and for that 1 glimmer of hope I had for his presidency. He Bush had American and international support for the Afghanistan invasion and he diverted virtually all of that to this absolutely pointless and unjustified nonsense the bush team ironically labeled "Iraqi Freedom". He needs to go.

Most of us who were privy to monkey boys failings as a governor and businessman knew that ultimately he would be a failure as president.

But, he looks like he'd be cool to have a beer with!

Yeah, afghanistan is a tough nut to crack. It would be difficult for any president. The afghans are xenophobic, and its not exactly fertile ground for a western-style jeffersonian democracy.

But, your point about taking a shaved chimp in a business suit and putting him in charge of managing the war and the nations foreign policy is a good one. Wrong man, in the wrong job, at the wrong time in history.

Most of us who were privy to monkey boys failings as a governor and businessman knew that ultimately he would be a failure as president.

Yeah, afghanistan is a tough nut to crack. It would be difficult for any president. The afghans are xenophobic, and its not exactly fertile ground for a western-style jeffersonian democracy.

One thing is for sure, diverting resources to fight a pointless war isn't going to 'crack the nut'.

another thing is for sure - marginalizing the man who orchestrated the biggest attack on US soil ever isn't going to get the job done either.

Afghanistan may be xenophobic, but Bush's astronomical strategic failures are the cause of Taliban's uprising. I wouldn't be surprised if he wakes up some days and forgets he's launched two wars. We now have official records that indicate Iraq is worse off after our destabilization of the country, they did NOT have a WMD program, and there WERE NO TIES to Al Qaeda. He's completely wasted lives, blown strategic opportunities and a boat load of money on his illegal war.

Lets see, taliban activity right after paks make an agreement with the warlords along the border. Coincidence?

we have a midterm election coming up, think there will be an increase in attacks in both afgan and iraq? The PR war continues with both libs and cons trying to influence the voters. and the jihadist are trying to influence the voters too.

there has been no pullout in Afghanstan, we never had many troops there to begin with. To say there are still problems, well I guess so. this place has no history of rational goverment. It will not happen in a couple of years.

The overall situation does influence the voters Gaffer. There is no way around that.

But surprisingly in spite of all the evidence of incompetence, misrepresentaton and fraud we are supposed to believe that a majority of the voters still want us to "stay the course" and continue down the same thoughless path we're on because no one can protect us like the "gang who couldn't shoot straight."

there has been no pullout in Afghanstan, we never had many troops there to begin with. To say there are still problems, well I guess so. this place has no history of rational goverment. It will not happen in a couple of years.

Do you have a link for this????

The point is there is not a COMEBACK, the Taliban are still there and need to be defeated. They haven't cut and run. They have no liberals in there ranks.

Actually toby, the taliban were being marginalized over the last few years quite a bit. As the article points out they are growing and they are not in hiding as they were a year ago.

From the article:
"He claims to have some 900 fighters, and says the military and psychological tide is turning in their favor. "One year ago we couldn't have had such a meeting at midnight," says Sabir, who is in his mid-40s and looks forward to living out his life as an anti-American jihadist. "Now we gather in broad daylight"

It would be nice to have diverted some of the resources we are wasting in Iraq to continue to quell the Taliban.

And if you read the news reports from Afghanstan a lot more Taliban are dying this year than last year.

If there are a lot more of them and we / the UN forces are fighting them there will be more killed. Duhhh.

sort of like hunting in a forest with one deer in it ws 100. Which scenario do you think will cause hunters to get more deer ?

Back