A will which resolves on nothing is not an actual will

BidenPresident

Verified User
"A will which resolves on nothing is not an actual will; the characterless man can never resolve on anything. The reason for such indecision may also lie in an over-refined sensibility which knows that, in determining something, it enters the realm of finitude, imposing a limit on itself and relinquishing infinity; yet it does not wish to renounce the totality to which it intends. Such a disposition is dead, even if its aspiration is to be beautiful. Only by making resolutions can the human being enter actuality, however painful the process may be; for inertia would rather not emerge from that inward brooding in which it reserves a universal possibility for itself. But possibility is not yet actuality."--Hegel, Elements of the Philosophy of Right

https://dailynous.com/2022/09/29/philosophys-most-beautiful-sentence-or-paragraph/

In contrast to those who want eternity and an infinite God. Hegel is saying only in the finite is our reality found.

"A will which resolves on nothing is not an actual will; the characterless man can never resolve on anything. The reason for such indecision may also lie in an over-refined sensibility which knows that, in determining something, it enters the realm of finitude, imposing a limit on itself and relinquishing infinity; yet it does not wish to renounce the totality to which it intends. Such a disposition is dead, even if its aspiration is to be beautiful. Only by making resolutions can the human being enter actuality, however painful the process may be; for inertia would rather not emerge from that inward brooding in which it reserves a universal possibility for itself. But possibility is not yet actuality."--Hegel, Elements of the Philosophy of Right

https://dailynous.com/2022/09/29/philosophys-most-beautiful-sentence-or-paragraph/

In contrast to those who want eternity and an infinite God. Hegel is saying only in the finite is our reality found.

Okay.

Ya gotta wonder if his blind guess about the REALITY is correct or not.

Right?

I did not say it is a closed case. But you offered nothing to discuss.

You said it was empirical. That is usually used with certainty. If I misread you, I apologize.

We can discuss you interpretation of what Hegel said. You may be right...but perhaps not. I have not studied Hegel enough to know the thrust of his positions. But if he is suggesting that only in the finite is our REALITY found...I suggest in return that he is merely guessing that to be so.

Viewed a great documentary discussing infinity on PBS yesterday. It was very interesting...and showed that IF the universe is infinite and eternal, there are so many things besides the finite to consider.

You said it was empirical. That is usually used with certainty. If I misread you, I apologize.

We can discuss you interpretation of what Hegel said. You may be right...but perhaps not. I have not studied Hegel enough to know the thrust of his positions. But if he is suggesting that only in the finite is our REALITY found...I suggest in return that he is merely guessing that to be so.

Viewed a great documentary discussing infinity on PBS yesterday. It was very interesting...and showed that IF the universe is infinite and eternal, there are so many things besides the finite to consider.

Isn't Hegel talking about the human will, though? We are finite.

Isn't Hegel talking about the human will, though? We are finite.

We are, indeed, finite...which I think about at time, now that I am 86. BUT...we may live in the infinite...if the universe is infinite. AND there may be an eternity that the religious speak about so often. If there is...what is more important to our "reality"...the years we spend here on Earth...or the eternity we spend afterwards.

For the record, I ALWAYS live for the finite...for today, actually. I am a very content individual...happy with my setting today. I seldom give much thought to tomorrow or the days after.

Back