Allegations Of No Food Prompt Request For Army Investigation

Socrtease

Verified User
OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma congresswoman placed a formal request Thursday for the Army to investigate allegations that members of the National Guard's 45th Infantry Brigade have not been regularly fed.

Howard Fleshman contacted Eyewitness News 5 after receiving an e-mail from his daughter, Kristy Fleshman, 26, who said she and her fellow soldiers were working up to 10-hour shifts in desert heat without any food.

Specifically, the e-mail read:
Hey Dad, I have an issue I think I need the family's help on. Someone decided to quit serving all the soldiers at the compounds lunch.

He said he normally gets an e-mail each weekend from his daughter, who is stationed at Camp Bucca, the largest U.S. military prison in Iraq. However, he said the message he received on Tuesday left him dumbfounded.

"I was surprised to receive one from her in the middle of the week. So, I guess this was something that was important to her, and she managed to get to a computer and let me know," he said.

U.S. Rep. Mary Fallin contacted the National Guard before requesting that the Army look into the matter. Because Guardsmen from the 45th are in Iraq, the Army would lead any investigation.

"It is extremely disturbing to hear any stories involving our men and women in harm's way being inadequately provided for," Fallin said.

A spokesman for U.S. Rep. Tom Cole said his office has called the Army about the issue and is awaiting a response.

More than 3,000 Oklahomans are overseas fighting the war in Iraq. The 45th Infantry Brigade has been in Iraq for nearly four months.

Fleshman said he hopes his daughter's e-mail will help to serve those who serve Americans every day.

"I have the ultimate respect for our military and for the job they do and for the sacrifices they make for the well-being of all of us. And, so it's only out of this concern and the concern for the well-being of Oklahoma soldiers that I'm raising this issue in the first place," he said.

The family of another soldier e-mailed KOCO to say it has been sending food to two soldiers who hadn't been getting meals.

http://www.koco.com/news/15981916/detail.html

Back