Ambac Downgraded, Cities Seen at Risk

uscitizen

Villified User
Ambac Downgraded, Cities Seen at Risk

Saturday January 19, 6:45 AM EST

NEW YORK (AP) — A downgrade of bond insurer Ambac Financial Group Inc. is likely to have far-reaching effects, making it more difficult for cities to issue new bonds and forcing further write-downs at financial services companies, analysts said Friday.

After Ambac scrapped plans to raise $1 billion in capital, Fitch Ratings cut the company's crucial financial strength rating to "AA" from "AAA."

The downgrade likely means Ambac will not underwrite any more business, said John Flahive, director of fixed income for BNY Mellon Wealth Management. Market prices of existing bonds insured by Ambac and MBIA Inc. were trading lower before the downgrade, and Flahive suggested any downgrade could accelerate the decline.

Ambac and chief competitor MBIA together insure $700 billion in municipal bonds, and MBIA's "AAA" rating is also under threat. The company issued $1 billion in bonds this week to preserve the rating, though that may not be enough to satisfy the ratings agencies. MBIA said in a statement Friday it intends to keep working toward maintaining its "AAA" rating.

Since late last year, when the agencies first raised the prospect, analysts have suggested any move to cut Ambac or MBIA below "AAA" could be disastrous. The concern is that downgrades will lead to a reduction in the value of portfolios at dozens of financial institutions, said Donald Light, a senior analyst at Celent LLC.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8u8u6vo0&date=20080119

This economy can be boiled down to one sentence.

Bushonomics: the building of wealth, and economic growth based on bad debt and deficit spending.

A good article, explaining how bushonomics created the illusion of economic growth, by deficit spending, looting the public treasury, and promoting bad debt in the public and private sectors.

http://alternet.org/workplace/74262/

horseshit neither of you tools knew the company before the troll post.
Cypress are you dumb enough to have the same networth as when Clinton left.

I'm starting to get pretty good at my Topspin to English translation.

He is suggesting that you were trolling the internet for bad news, and then posted this as the fruits of your search.

I'd like a translation. And one of the river captian.

That one doesn't need one. I just needs the period to be changed to a question mark and one space between two words added..

Cypress are you dumb enough to have the same net worth as when Clinton left?

Darla cracked the river captain one.

Really when GW form charter captain on the river denial admits to serious global warming problem. Only Dixie esque legionaires are left on the boat.

Translation:

Really. When George W Bush, former charter boat captain on the river denial admits that there is a serious global warming problem, only guys like Dixie still don't believe in global warming.

I'm starting to get pretty good at my Topspin to English translation.

He is suggesting that you were trolling the internet for bad news, and then posted this as the fruits of your search.

:clink: I think you have got it!

Kinda hard to find good economic news lately though.

seriously there is a lot of bad news. But when you troll for articles on companies you've never heard of credibility is not what is portrayed. Desparate GED!!!

I did not search for it dude.
Disclaimer : No google was used in the posting of this article.
do not try this at home if you are as stupit as topper.

OK you ran accross it, give us a laugh and tell us you knew about this company before stumbling on the article.

so while trolling for negative news you pick up this gem. great job since 80% of the news is negative right now.

Back