"American Whitelash": Fear-mongering and the rise in white nationalist violence

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
"American Whitelash": Fear-mongering and the rise in white nationalist violence

Of all newspapers that I've come across in bookstores and vintage shops, one of my most cherished is a copy of the April 9, 1968 edition of the now-defunct Chicago Daily News. It's a 12-page special section it published after the death of Martin Luther King Jr.

The second-to-last page contains a searing column by Mike Royko, one of the city's, and country's, most famed writers. "King was executed by a firing squad that numbered in the millions," he wrote. "The man with the gun did what he was told. Millions of bigots, subtle and obvious, put it in his hand and assured him he was doing the right thing."

We live in a time of disruption and racial violence. We've lived through generational events: the historic election of a Black president; the rise of a new civil rights movement; census forecasts that tell us Hispanic immigration is fundamentally changing our nation's demographics.

But now we're living through the backlash that all of those changes have prompted.

The last decade-and-a-half has been an era of white racial grievance - an era, as I've come to think of it, of "American whitelash."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-whitelash-fear-mongering-rise-141712046.html

the greatest threat to our democracy: White supremacy

Make no mistake: the red hats marauding through the halls of the United States Capitol were a throwback to the Red Shirts terrorizing the Southern countryside.

As my friend Darren Walker, president of the Ford Foundation, wrote, not only is White supremacy the greatest threat to democracy, democracy is the greatest threat to White supremacy.

Because when Democracy works, White supremacists will always, reflexively, be rattled – whether in the 19th century, or the 21st.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/charle...ur-democracy-white-supremacy/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17

Hello guno,

Of all newspapers that I've come across in bookstores and vintage shops, one of my most cherished is a copy of the April 9, 1968 edition of the now-defunct Chicago Daily News. It's a 12-page special section it published after the death of Martin Luther King Jr.

The second-to-last page contains a searing column by Mike Royko, one of the city's, and country's, most famed writers. "King was executed by a firing squad that numbered in the millions," he wrote. "The man with the gun did what he was told. Millions of bigots, subtle and obvious, put it in his hand and assured him he was doing the right thing."

We live in a time of disruption and racial violence. We've lived through generational events: the historic election of a Black president; the rise of a new civil rights movement; census forecasts that tell us Hispanic immigration is fundamentally changing our nation's demographics.

But now we're living through the backlash that all of those changes have prompted.

The last decade-and-a-half has been an era of white racial grievance - an era, as I've come to think of it, of "American whitelash."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-whitelash-fear-mongering-rise-141712046.html

He is spot on.

White racist grievance politics. That is the mainstay of the Republican party.

It is apparent in their approach to education - a completely white-washed version of our racially rocky history.

They can't handle the truth.

Somebody hates white people

The greatest threat to our democracy: White supremacy

Make no mistake: the red hats marauding through the halls of the United States Capitol were a throwback to the Red Shirts terrorizing the Southern countryside.

As my friend Darren Walker, president of the Ford Foundation, wrote, not only is White supremacy the greatest threat to democracy, democracy is the greatest threat to White supremacy.

Because when Democracy works, White supremacists will always, reflexively, be rattled – whether in the 19th century, or the 21st.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/charle...ur-democracy-white-supremacy/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17

We don't have a democracy. We never have. And you will never have one either.

Back