An American Energy Initiative for the 21st Century - Part I

The Bare Knuckled Pundit

Grand Inquisitor
As the price of gas continues to rise, the corresponding partisan rancor and posturing has likewise followed off into low Earth orbit. Enduring increasing pain at the pumps, Americans naturally look about for answers and ultimately someone to hold responsible.

How did we come to this sorry state? What can be done? Whose fault is it? All are completely reasonable and natural questions. Many point to the cartoonishly vilified Big Oil. Others blame obstructionist environmentalists. Some accuse cowboy capitalist market speculators. Engaging in what increasingly appears to be the new national pastime, several believe in a conspiracy among oil producers and nefarious groups seeking to cripple and push us off the world stage.

Yet, while flaring tempers and pointed fingers may vent our spleens, they do nothing to address the situation at hand.

Let me be the first to say I have engaged in my fair share of this very same vitriol. Lest I be charged as a self-righteous and proselytizing hypocrite, I readily acknowledge and take full responsibility for wantonly adding fuel to the philosophical and political flames. I have ridden the tumultuous rapids of high emotion and surrendered myself to the partisan passions of the moment. That being said, the time for reason and rationality is now at hand.

Setting past sins of omission and commission aside, the time has come to look to the future. What follows is a broad and rough outline for a comprehensive energy plan for America. The devil and boredom lie in the details, so this is offered in the broadest of terms as a starting point for discussion and debate.

First though, let me clearly state that while I am an admitted and committed Petrovore, I am no friend of wanton and wasteful gluttony. Accordingly, I wholeheartedly support the responsible development of our natural resources and the expansion of renewables where possible. However, I likewise firmly believe first and foremost in the economic security of our nation. Therefore when push comes to shove, the caribou will kindly have to step aside so we may develop our resources in ANWAR, albeit in the most responsible and minimally intrusive way possible.

Furthermore, bear in mind this is a long term plan. Many of the proposals may not produce tangible results for years. Yet, to further delay its inception is to extend the period of vulnerability for our economy and our very way of life. Having done so repeatedly in the past, we can ill afford to do so yet again. Now, onto the fun, shall we?

-Open ANWAR and the Outer Continental Shelf for exploration and drilling: Estimates place the potentially recoverable reserves in the billions of barrels of oil and trillions of cubic feet of natural gas. The impact of this development will be in the mid to long range. However, further delay will likewise push back the introduction to and impact of these reserves on energy markets. Responsible planning for the future entails concrete action today and this is a tangible step towards securing our future energy needs.

-Heightened lease development and administration: A report issued by the House Natural Resources Committee recently asserted that energy firms currently hold undeveloped and inactive leases on millions of acres of federally owned land. Due to the variables involved with exploration and production and the fact that not all lands are going to be commercially exploitable, the true extent of this situation is open to debate.

Nonetheless, in order to encourage timely development of these resources, oversight, tracking and review of federal leases should be substantially increased. Companies applying for future federal leases would be required to provide a plan with a corresponding timeline for developing land awarded to them. In line with current policies, increasing penalties would be imposed on them up to the forfeiture and loss of their lease should they fail to meet their submitted timelines without showing good cause for their delay. Companies experiencing chronic and repeated delays and forfeitures would be barred from applying for future leases.

The new regulations and requirements would likewise be applied to pre-existing and current leases.

As part of the new lease regime, companies would be required to provide additional royalty-in-kind payments of oil to the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in order to increase the amount of oil available to the nation in times of crisis.

-Establishment of the Federal Petroleum Management Board: In order to remove political considerations and influence from the management and utilization of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, the FPMB would be created. The Board would be empowered to add or release stocks from the SPR as it deemed necessary and would include members of the energy industry as well as financial and commodity markets experts. It would additionally be responsible for working with commodity markets and energy industry entities and personnel in order to coordinate and stabilize national energy policy. Modeled after the Federal Reserve, the FPMB would be an independent entity with its members appointed by the President and approved by Congress.

-Expansion of national refining capacity: All the oil in the world is useless unless it's refined. Accordingly, in addition to increasing supply, you must correspondingly increase refining capacity. With the last new refinery built in the United States when Jimmy Carter was President, it is long past due.

The permitting process for new refineries should be dramatically restructured with regulations being loosened. As a matter of national security, federal regulations should take precedence over state and local requirements. In exchange for loosened regulations for new permits and expansion of pre-existing refineries, the industry would pay into a federal pool that would be used to address and offset any adverse impact that might occur, much like the EPA’s Superfund.

In order to encourage expansion of pre-existing and new refineries, tax incentives would be provided that specifically supports each option. Tax incentives and favorable lease provisions would be offered for the refurbishment and utilization of formerly active industrial facilities as well as former military sites.

-Electrical generation capacity expansion: Nuclear power plant permitting would be updated, simplified and expedited. Clean coal and carbon sequestration technology would be encouraged through tax incentives and government-private sector partnerships.

The national power grid and the corresponding delivery network must be upgraded and expanded. Redundancy and flexibility must be greatly enhanced, as demonstrated by the New York blackout of August, 2003. Permitting for power line routes would be expedited accordingly. Minimizing the impact of line routes on animal habitat and the environment would play a significant, but not ultimately determinant role.

-Expansion of renewable electrical generation capacity: While not being able to provide consistent base load generation, renewable sources such as wind turbines and solar cells should be dramatically expanded. Tax incentives that allow families and businesses to deduct the full installation costs of such systems the first year, as well as the total cost of the systems themselves over three to five years would encourage the expansion of home and business-based supplemental electrical generation. This would allow power generators to lower their fuel usage and production costs.

Furthermore, tax incentives and expedited permitting should be provided for the expansion of commercial renewable electrical generation. If renewables are going to be a significant part of our future energy equation, serious incentives must be provided and efforts made to support them during their fledgling period.

Intrigued? Enlightened? Engrossed? Enraged? If so, tune in again tomorrow, same Bare Knuckled channel, same Bare Knuckled time for Part Two of the American Energy Initiative for the 21st Century.

Remember, faithful readers, you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile. And you may ask yourself – well…..how do I fill this? Stay tuned for those answers and more tomorrow!

Nonetheless, in order to encourage timely development of these resources, oversight, tracking and review of federal leases should be substantially increased. Companies applying for future federal leases would be required to provide a plan with a corresponding timeline for developing land awarded to them. In line with current policies, increasing penalties would be imposed on them up to the forfeiture and loss of their lease should they fail to meet their submitted timelines without showing good cause for their delay. Companies experiencing chronic and repeated delays and forfeitures would be barred from applying for future leases.
//

I think that is more important than drilling ANWR. Make sure we are already utilizing what we have. But yes offshore drilling in FL , the east coast, ANWR and CA coast will happen. Only a matter of when.

why give the kiddies more toys when they don't play with what they have ?

If we start drilling in ANWR and off the coast of FL, does anyone think the price of gas will drop?

Oil is sold on the world market. It will continue to sell at the prices set on the world market. Having more on the market will have some effect, but not much and only until the consumption catches up.

If we start drilling in ANWR and off the coast of FL, does anyone think the price of gas will drop?

Oil is sold on the world market. It will continue to sell at the prices set on the world market. Having more on the market will have some effect, but not much and only until the consumption catches up.

Yep we have to reduce our per capita consumption, but if the price drops too much back comes the gas guzzling traits.

For long term uses we need to drill offshore and such, but not immediately for price relief.

The oil companies cant even say it will reduce prices.

Think of what it will do to the quality of life in the drilling areas and the tourism and economys of the areas you drill in.

The oil companies cant even say it will reduce prices.

Think of what it will do to the quality of life in the drilling areas and the tourism and economys of the areas you drill in.

desh They will get drilled at some time, that is inevitable. The only question is when and how cleanly we do it.

My point is that the oil cos should use the drilling leases they already have before we give them any more.

I tire or this republican strawman mantra of ANWR.

they do have the right to millions of acres to drill right now and they are not drilling there so I sdont see why we need to destroy other sectors of our econmy for their benifit?

By the time they are ready to pump at full speed in these areas our dependance on this oil should be greatly reduced by other energy sources if we approached this right.

they do have the right to millions of acres to drill right now and they are not drilling there so I sdont see why we need to destroy other sectors of our econmy for their benifit?

By the time they are ready to pump at full speed in these areas our dependance on this oil should be greatly reduced by other energy sources if we approached this right.

True, but I think it is a bit too much to expect for us to approach this right.

With all due respect, your argument is specious at best.

First, though the oil and gas industry holds leases on millions of acres of federal land, not all of those parcels have commercially exploitable deposits. Acreage that has been tested and found to be lacking such deposits are classified as inactive. So, the question is how much of this acreage has yet to be explored and how much has been found to be lacking?

Additionally, with the advent of horizontal drilling technology, the reach of a single well has been greatly enhanced and expanded. This allows for fewer wells with a smaller footprint and greatly diminished environmental impact.

Finally, while it is a hopeful and comforting thought that new technologies and processes will greatly reduce our use of oil within the next 7 to 10 years, one cannot responsibly base long term energy and economic policy on hope.

In the military and intelligence communities it is commonly accepted that hope gets people killed, planning and contingencies keep them alive. The same holds true for energy and economic policy.

While I am hopeful new technology will relieve us of this burden, I know that our population will continue to grow and domestic and global oil demand will likewise follow suit. Even if we significantly reduce per capita oil usage, as the population grows oil usage will increase. I also know there are untapped domestic resources at our disposal. Not to use them is irresponsible and places our economic security in the hands of foreign producers, particularly OPEC that will control an increasing percentage of global oil production and reserves as other non-OPEC producers' production decline; much like Norway, Great Britain, Mexico and Russia have already begun experiencing.

Accordingly, in order to supplement diminishing non-OPEC production, it is both rational and responsible to begin development of our own reserves now in order to have them on-line in years to come.

At least as I see it.....

So BNP I take it you did not read the article about EXXON sueing Alaska for wanting to give/auction 30 yr old oil leases that EXXON had not drilled to others that want to drill it ?

So BNP I take it you did not read the article about EXXON sueing Alaska for wanting to give/auction 30 yr old oil leases that EXXON had not drilled to others that want to drill it ?

Yes, I am familiar with the case and under my proposal that is a perfectly reasonable action by the state. If Exxon cannot show just cause for failing to do seismic testing, drill test wells and provide a timeline for production initiation, then they would be subject to fines and forfeiture of their lease.

This isn't astrophysics or brain surgery. You have a lease, you develop the reserve or lose it.

well tell me why should EXXON get more leases until this is resolved ?

I'm not sure if you read the proposal, but it states, "Companies experiencing chronic and repeated delays and forfeitures would be barred from applying for future leases."

That would apply to the good folks at Exxon as well as any other company.

yes but you made drilling ANWR and such the number one priority. I think we need to get our house in order first instead of just stacking more in it.

As I posted in another post somewhere on here. Drilling ANWR, FL coast, East coast, and CA coast are inevitable, but we must go about it in the right manner.

Even with addition of alternate renewable fuels, our consumption of oil will continue to increase for the next couple of decades. Getting domestic sources of oil online makes good long term sense, even though it will take time. The realistic idea is to reduce (or even eliminate) our dependence on IMPORTED oil. Getting rid of oil dependency entirely is unrealistic in the extreme. But getting rid of imported oil is not an unrealistic longterm goal. (The operative word there being LONG term. Which means long term plans like increasing domestic production can and will have a significant play in the overall solution to our energy problems.)

Reducing our dependence on imports by any means available will have many benefits. First it will reduce our trade deficit significantly. Second, though global prices (including speculation on oil futures) will still have their effects, the more domestic oil we have on tap, the less global prices will affect pump prices. Third, we will be less susceptible to political blackmail based on foreign oil production. All those factors will have a strong positive effect on the overall economy, including a much stronger dollar, further decreasing the effect of global prices on pump prices.

Final point, there is no reason to claim that increasing drilling for domestic oil will "destroy" other sectors of the economy.

Increasing domestic production is not the solution and in some respect high oil prices and a low dollar are good. The biggest cause of high oil prices is the devaluation of the US Dollar. This is good in that it increases our ability to export US made goods and decreases the trade deficit. It's also good in that it provide a profit incentive to develop alternative fuels.

Here's the problem with increased domestic development, which I do advocate. What's to keep the oil companies, which mainly are not US companies, from selling that oil and refined products on the international market? Should we Nationalize the domestic oil industry? If something of that nature does not occur, and I'm not advocating that, then increasing domestic supply will simply not affect price.

desh They will get drilled at some time, that is inevitable. The only question is when and how cleanly we do it.

My point is that the oil cos should use the drilling leases they already have before we give them any more.

I tire or this republican strawman mantra of ANWR.

I have been doing a little research on the topic of existing oil leases, especially those listed as "idle".

When an oil company buys the lease, it is only guessing that there is oil or natural gas underneath. And even if there is, will the quantity be great enough to warrant commercial production.

From the time the lease is signed until the oil or natural gas is brought up, the lease is listed as idle. The oil companies drill lots of exploratory holes to see how big the field actually is, and whether or not it is economically feasible to bring it up. All the while they are paying the lease fee. And all the while the lease is being called idle.

If there is no oil or natural gas, the oil companies are still required to fulfill their end of the lease, that is to keep paying the lease fee.

When we see a list of so many leased acres being unused it looks as though the oil companies are just stalling. But none of those lists shows the actual amount of oil or natural gas under the surface.

Yeah Sol it is a gray area, except in the one case of EXXON and their 30 yr old Alaska leases. Lots of gray area there on the rest. Intentionally gray ? I dunno but suspect.

I have been doing a little research on the topic of existing oil leases, especially those listed as "idle".

When an oil company buys the lease, it is only guessing that there is oil or natural gas underneath. And even if there is, will the quantity be great enough to warrant commercial production.

From the time the lease is signed until the oil or natural gas is brought up, the lease is listed as idle. The oil companies drill lots of exploratory holes to see how big the field actually is, and whether or not it is economically feasible to bring it up. All the while they are paying the lease fee. And all the while the lease is being called idle.

If there is no oil or natural gas, the oil companies are still required to fulfill their end of the lease, that is to keep paying the lease fee.

When we see a list of so many leased acres being unused it looks as though the oil companies are just stalling. But none of those lists shows the actual amount of oil or natural gas under the surface.

Well said and quite right, Solitary! My compliments, indeed.

This highlights the fact that while oil companies make tremendous profits, they also incur tremendous expense and make significant long term investments in order to do so. In addition to having to pay on leases regardless of their commercial value, costs for the industry have soared into the stratosphere. For example, a deep-water drill ship that cost $125,000 a day four years ago now runs $600,000+. And that's if you can find one available.

I'm interested to see how Part II will be received later today and appreciate everyone's comments and insights.

Yes, it will drop as a result. Speculation is based on expectations of the future supply demand equation. Right now there is about $40 in speculation built into the price of oil because increases in demand is expected to continue to outpace increses in supply.

Every source we begin to bring on line will cause a shift in speculation. Because increases in demand expectations will not likely shift much, each supply introduction should begin to force the price back towards fair value.

In addition, bringing on domestic supply means that for whatever amount of oil/nat gas we produce here the dolllars STAY in the US rather than enriching other countries. That adds strength to the dollar vs. other currencies and will add further downside pressure to all commodities.

Along with bringing every domestic fossil fuel site on line, we should add to refining capacity for the same reasons. Keep the money (and jobs) HERE as much as possible.

Finally, we need to push hard on viable alt energy sources. With current government rebates, solar is economically viable for commercial property. We should push hard to make that the case for residential as well. In addition, cellulosic ethanol production should be ramped up along with Wind, geothermal and any other source of alt energy we can come up with.

None of the above are going to bring additional energy on line in the next couple of years, but if the process is begun today, it will help reduce the speculation in energy and other commodities.

Side note... we also need to end the idiotic use of food for fuel.

Back