And why are they thought to be innocent?

evince

Truthmatters
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...E30191-4D37-4603-9FA3-F5E16E21D859}&dist=hppr

Advancing the Story of Secret Offshore Accounts: Scores of Innocent Wealthy Families Come Forward -- Will They Be Prosecuted?

Last update: 9:00 p.m. EDT July 24, 2008
WASHINGTON, July 24, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- The following was issued today by Caplin & Drysdale:
WHAT: With the recent attention to Americans who may have undeclared accounts at UBS, the Liechtenstein bank LGT, and other foreign banks, the D.C.-based law firm, Caplin & Drysdale is fielding more and more client calls from individuals who have such accounts and who want to try to resolve their issues before they are discovered by the IRS. By far, most clients are innocent of deliberate evasion but a great deal of wealth appears to be at stake with some accounts reaching the $25-million mark.
WHY: Firm attorneys say many clients have accounts from "old money" sources. Some clients are survivors of the Holocaust, or their descendants. Many were unaware of their reporting obligations, but are now being counseled to take advantage of the IRS "Voluntary Disclosure Policy." The IRS has also issued public comments recommending that U.S. taxpayers in this position come forward, and many are doing so, often with interesting stories to tell.
WHO: Caplin & Drysdale attorneys say clients stand a better chance to qualify to make a voluntary disclosure and even avoid potential criminal prosecution, if they come forward sooner rather than later.
About Caplin & Drysdale
A leading law firm, Caplin & Drysdale provides a full range of tax and legal services to companies, organizations, and individuals throughout the United States and around the world. The firm also provides corporate law counseling, white collar defense, political activity law counseling, exempt organization counseling, and complex civil litigation services. Visit http://www.capdale.com for more information.
SOURCE Caplin & Drysdale

They should be fully aware of what is being done with their money and the laws that surround the taxes involved in what they do with their money.

Why are they not responsible for their own money?

There is nothing illegal about holding money in a foreign account.

Caplin & Drysdale is fielding more and more client calls from individuals who have such accounts and who want to try to resolve their issues before they are discovered by the IRS

Hmmmm, it seems they have been avoiding paying taxes on the money?

It also seems they knew full fucking well they need to tiptoe arround to get it done before the IRS finds out.

How in the hell are these people innocent of tax evation when they obviously KNOW they need to protect themselves from the IRS?

Tax avoidance is legal. You are confusing that idea with tax evasion.

Read what it says.

They are non compliant.

They know they are non compliant.

They are seeking to resolve the non compliance before the IRS finds out.

Now if these were people who got taken in by lenders and are lsoing their house you would say its their fault for not figuring it out.

Why the dispairity?

Oh I get it they are rich so you think they should get a free ride?

Read what it says.

They are non compliant.

How do you know they know they're non-compliant? All I've get is a fucking article that for some reasons states most of them are innocent and that the government may not prosecute them. I don't know the law behind it or any of the details.

Now if these were people who got taken in by lenders and are lsoing their house you would say its their fault for not figuring it out.

No, I would not.
Why the dispairity?

You are trying to create a "two wrongs makes a right" argument to someone who believes that one is wrong and doesn't know shit about the other.

Read what it says.

They are non compliant.

Why the dispairity?

Sheep are very compliant.

Non-compliant is a far call from guilty. There is a check box on your tax return that asks if you have control over a foreign account. Failing to check that box is non-compliance.

The highest rate of foreclosure defaults is centered on "stated income" products (referred to as LIAR loans).

Because we all are thought to be innocent until proven guilty.
Silly me, this was the FIRST thing that came to my mind. Funny Desh when they are wealthy you can't find that same belief in your mind. I didn't even have to think about it.

Americans who may have undeclared accounts at UBS, the Liechtenstein bank LGT, and other foreign banks

did you miss this line?

Hey Democrats, next time you find yourself wondering why everyone thinks you hate the rich... shit like this is why.

Back