Are aircraft carriers outdated dinosaurs in today's modern warfare?

maineman

Banned
One of the world's greatest authorities has postulated that the carrier is no longer an impotant part of our defense structure. Let's discuss this, and especially concentrate on the 1960 date and compare the carrier's importance today to what it was then.

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
In the age of long-range aircraft, drones, and air bases dotting the world, and enemies that fight with rifles and grenade launchers instead of aircraft, yeah, carriers aren't as important as they were in 1960.

I believe that they are still vital, they let a nation project air power in places they usually could not.

That assumes that power projection is essential.
Well, are we not talking about their role in warfare? If not, they provide humanitarian aid means as well. A prime example of that is in Thailand, the HTMS Chakri Naruebet.

Two reasons they are useful.

1) The Navy needs them if it desires air power.

2) They have proven great at humanitarian rescue missions such as Japan, because they can store a ton of supplies.

Two reasons they are useful.

1) The Navy needs them if it desires air power.

2) They have proven great at humanitarian rescue missions such as Japan, because they can store a ton of supplies.
Pretty much on the same page on this one, mate :)

they are just way too badass. they are worth it just for badass factor. I love knowing what a country must feel when they see an aircraft carrier slowly looming in the distane via recon.

CC49sLr.jpg

iG3hAXD.jpg

America has 11 nuclear powered aircraft carriers. The entire rest of the world combined has none. China is building one.

Seems to me the only real thing America is projecting is stupidity.

So CL, what's your solution? Disband the entire fleet just so we could be "equal" with the rest of the pathetic world?

No! How about 2 or maybe 3 nuclear powered aircraft carriers? Oh! That’s right America is the Neo-Roman Empire policing the globe and needing to mind everybody’s fucking business but our own, huh? I keep forgetting that our European little brothers should only have to spend a minute % of their GDP on their own fucking national defense so those rich powerful American BIG brothers can spend all the fucking money they can borrow from China to protect them.

Let me just propose that politically and economically America is a nation of fucking suckers and egotistical militarist morons, the vast majority of which decorate the halls and castles of American government.

I do find it interesting that DY has not yet weighed in on this thread to defend his assertion. Hmmmmmmmm. I wonder why?

America has 11 nuclear powered aircraft carriers. The entire rest of the world combined has none. China is building one.

Seems to me the only real thing America is projecting is stupidity.
Well, in reality and not your liberal mind. The rest of the world has 9 Aircraft Carriers Combined. Soon, the British will have two Super Carriers which will be superior to our fleet, we just have more carriers. They will be about equivalent to our soon to be Ford Class Carriers.

No! How about 2 or maybe 3 nuclear powered aircraft carriers? Oh! That’s right America is the Neo-Roman Empire policing the globe and needing to mind everybody’s fucking business but our own, huh? I keep forgetting that our European little brothers should only have to spend a minute % of their GDP on their own fucking national defense so those rich powerful American BIG brothers can spend all the fucking money they can borrow from China to protect them.

Let me just propose that politically and economically America is a nation of fucking suckers and egotistical militarist morons, the vast majority of which decorate the halls and castles of American government.
Oh, real smart there, genius! And when we get attacked again because our military is too weak, then we know who to blame (liberals).

That would be a terrible idea to reduce our numbers, We'd be equivalents with Italy... And then keep in mind, India will retire the INS Viraat around 2018 and will have 2 new carriers along with the one they recently bought. China is building two to go with their current one. The French are looking to make another, As stated, the Brits will have 2 extremely powerful ones. Also, Brazil might get another to accompany the Sao Paulo Carrier.

Back