Art, Beauty, and Monotheism

BidenPresident

Verified User
The non-universality of beauty, a rejection of the thought that if you say something is beautiful, you are saying everybody should find this beautiful. You say that “the groupings beauty establishes are less like Christian churches, and more like the pagan cults of ancient Greece, which recognize their common concern with the divine, despite the different forms in which they worshiped it.”

And then there’s this monotheistic philosophy of beauty as well, which says, Well, if it really is beautiful, everybody should find it beautiful, so we should all worship the same god in that sense. Whereas you’re saying, No, the phenomenon of beauty in human life naturally carves us off into different groups, where those groups are organized around the different gods we worship, the different things we find beautiful.

https://thepointmag.com/dialogue/beyond-comprehension/

Art and monotheism share a profound and intricate relationship that has shaped the course of human creativity and spirituality. Monotheistic religions, such as Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, emphasize the worship of a single, all-powerful deity, which has had a significant impact on artistic expression. Throughout history, art has often been employed as a means to visually communicate and celebrate the stories, teachings, and beliefs inherent in these monotheistic faiths. From the intricate calligraphy in Islamic architecture to the awe-inspiring frescoes of Christian cathedrals, and the intricate menorah designs in Jewish synagogues, art serves as a powerful conduit for believers to connect with the divine and express their devotion. Conversely, art has also been a source of contemplation and reflection on theological concepts, serving as a medium to explore the nature of the divine, the human condition, and the complexities of faith. Thus, the interplay between art and monotheism continues to enrich both spheres, fostering a dialogue that spans the spiritual and the aesthetic realms.

The Thor movies are art and are really good.

Thor isn't based on monotheism.

I would say monotheistic art is fading out.

Art and monotheism share a profound and intricate relationship that has shaped the course of human creativity and spirituality. Monotheistic religions, such as Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, emphasize the worship of a single, all-powerful deity, which has had a significant impact on artistic expression. Throughout history, art has often been employed as a means to visually communicate and celebrate the stories, teachings, and beliefs inherent in these monotheistic faiths. From the intricate calligraphy in Islamic architecture to the awe-inspiring frescoes of Christian cathedrals, and the intricate menorah designs in Jewish synagogues, art serves as a powerful conduit for believers to connect with the divine and express their devotion. Conversely, art has also been a source of contemplation and reflection on theological concepts, serving as a medium to explore the nature of the divine, the human condition, and the complexities of faith. Thus, the interplay between art and monotheism continues to enrich both spheres, fostering a dialogue that spans the spiritual and the aesthetic realms.

Nothing to disagree with here.

The non-universality of beauty, a rejection of the thought that if you say something is beautiful, you are saying everybody should find this beautiful. You say that “the groupings beauty establishes are less like Christian churches, and more like the pagan cults of ancient Greece, which recognize their common concern with the divine, despite the different forms in which they worshiped it.”

And then there’s this monotheistic philosophy of beauty as well, which says, Well, if it really is beautiful, everybody should find it beautiful, so we should all worship the same god in that sense. Whereas you’re saying, No, the phenomenon of beauty in human life naturally carves us off into different groups, where those groups are organized around the different gods we worship, the different things we find beautiful.

Do you think there is anyone, believer or non-believer, that could look upon the ceiling of the Sistine chapel and think that it's not beautiful?

Already lost interest in your inane babbling.

Even when I work at making sure i understand what you're trying to say so we can have a reasonable conversation you behave like this. I asked you a simple yes or no question and you couldnt or wouldnt just answer it. This is why you get treated the way you do. Ive seen anyone as weak minded as you. You're the most intellectually lazy person I've ever run across.

AN: I never ask, “What is beauty?” I don’t think that’s a good question. What I ask instead is, “What is it to find something beautiful?” And that’s a very different question because it carries no implications about, so to speak, the ontological, metaphysical or real structure of beautiful things—it’s a question about our reaction to the very different things each one of us is moved by.

AN: I never ask, “What is beauty?” I don’t think that’s a good question. What I ask instead is, “What is it to find something beautiful?” And that’s a very different question because it carries no implications about, so to speak, the ontological, metaphysical or real structure of beautiful things—it’s a question about our reaction to the very different things each one of us is moved by.

Everybody knows what beauty is you $3 fucking crack whore.

Do you think there is anyone, believer or non-believer, that could look upon the ceiling of the Sistine chapel and think that it's not beautiful?

Art isn't supposed to be beautiful. It's supposed to evoke a reaction emotionally or aesthetically

Nobody would dare claim that Michelangelo's Pieta is ugly.

Almost everyone would be impressed and astonished at the artistic vision and talent achieved in that sculpture.

But even as important, most people would have some sort of emotional or psychological response to the themes the sculpture reflects.

Art isn't supposed to be beautiful. It's supposed to evoke a reaction emotionally or aesthetically

Nobody would dare claim that Michelangelo's Pieta is ugly.

Almost everyone would be impressed and astonished at the artistic vision and talent achieved in that sculpture.

But even as important, most people would have some sort of emotional or psychological response to the themes the sculpture reflects.

Says who? Beauty certainly does both.

I agree, because it's beautiful and everyone can see that.

That related to the skill. The product is beauty

I think thats a consequence of art not it's purpose as you described it

Last edited:
Says who? Beauty certainly does both.

I agree, because it's beautiful and everyone can see that.

That related to the skill. The product is beauty

I think thats a consequence of art not it's purpose as you described it

Nobody calls Picasso's Guernica beautiful.

But any who reflects on it with a discerning mind can appreciate the psychological impacts it conveys about a notable atrocity committed in the Spanish civil war

Back