At leasst 300 arrested in ICE raid in Iowa

uscitizen

Villified User
Update: Crowd greets detainees at Waterloo

By NIGEL DUARA, WILLIAM PETROSKI and GRANT SCHULTE • REGISTER STAFF WRITERS • May 12, 2008

Postville, Ia. – Buses have begun arriving at the Cattle Congress grounds in Waterloo after hundreds were detained in an immigration raid on a Postville meatpacking plant today.

Officials are not allowing media or others near the entrance. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials have declined to say how many buses are being used in the raid on the Agriprocessors Inc. plant.

At least 300 people were arrested during the operation, the largest of its kind in Iowa, said Claude Arnold, a special agent with ICE.

The raid targeted people who illegally used other people's Social Security numbers and were in the U.S. illegally.

According to an affidavit, “Based on information thus far developed in the investigation, it appears, based on 2007 fourth quarter payroll reports, that approximately 76 percent of the 968 employees of Agriprocessors were using false or fraudulent social security numbers in connection with their employment.”
~
According to search warrants, ICE agents interviewed a former plant supervisor – identified as “Source 1” – in November 2007, who told them that the plant employed foreign nationals from Mexico, Guatemala and Eastern Europe. Roughly 80 percent of those workers were living illegally in the U.S., the supervisor said.

“Source 1” told federal agents that some employees were running a methamphetamine lab in the plant, and were bringing weapons to work. The supervisor confronted a higher-level manager about the drugs, and shortly after was fired.

The supervisors also described an encounter with the plant’s human resources manager about three separate Social Security cards from different employees with the same number. The human resources manager "laughed when this matter was brought to her attention," the supervisor told federal agents.

In February 2008, a confidential informant identified as "Source 7," who has worked with federal agents in past immigration cases, detailed several incidents of alleged worker abuse at the plant.

The source, who was lawfully employed at the plant, told authorities that a floor supervisor duct-taped the eyes of an illegal Guatemalan employee and struck him with a meat hook. The blow caused no serious injuries.

"Source 7" asked the Guatemalan to report the incident, but the employee said doing so could jeopardize his job.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/NEWS/80512012/1001

I guarantee you the plant owner and management knew they were hiring cheap, low wage illegal migrant workers.

I wonder why they weren't frog marched out in handcuffs?

I guarantee you the plant owner and management knew they were hiring cheap, low wage illegal migrant workers.

I wonder why they weren't frog marched out in handcuffs?
Precisely. People who hire illegal labor are a the crux of the problem. People would not be crossing the border in droves, often putting themselves and even their children at risk, if they didn't know there are jobs waiting for them. The law needs to be changed so the consequences of hiring illegal labor are such that the risk is not worth the gains.

That being said I notice they specifically targeted people using illicit SS numbers. Since that is a crime even for citizens, it justifies the actions even for the most prolific defender of illegal immigration. (I wonder if the employer had anything to do with those illicit SS numbers....)

Addendum: Immigration laws also need to be changed so industries which rely on immigrant labor can get the LEGAL labor they need.

The people responsible for knowingly hiring the undocumented workers should face maximum penalties. The problem is the feds are NEVER really into punishing the people that hire them. They want to be able to take advantage of MORE than just cheap labor. They want to avoid safety requirements as well and KNOW that undocumented workers will not report the violations, which was pointed out by the duct tape allegations.

Back