back in insurance and lovin it!!

Don't forget the apparantly arbitrary limits that they get to set on rejection percentages. It must be fun to pick numbers out of the air like that.

Don't forget the apparantly arbitrary limits that they get to set on rejection percentages. It must be fun to pick numbers out of the air like that.

not in MA.. lol all the fools with 'unregulated' free market insurance in this country getting totally ripped off.

ask yourself this.. why do insurance companies NOT want to write policies in Massachusetts?

hmmmm.. because there profit margins suck?

I didn't like insurance much. I like being on the investment side.

no doubt.. I went from an investment company into insurance company in a costing type role and then did budgeting, profitability, and capacity, etc.. The ONLY job in the 2 insurance companies i have worked in that really intrigued me was the treasury roles where they take all that money in premiums they hold for future payouts and invest it.

no doubt.. I went from an investment company into insurance company in a costing type role and then did budgeting, profitability, and capacity, etc.. The ONLY job in the 2 insurance companies i have worked in that really intrigued me was the treasury roles where they take all that money in premiums they hold for future payouts and invest it.

Treasury work is interesting, but I think I'm going to stick to Planning and Analysis roles going forward. No more heavy accounting on the investment or insurance side.

Treasury work is interesting, but I think I'm going to stick to Planning and Analysis roles going forward. No more heavy accounting on the investment or insurance side.

Thats where i have spent the bulk of my career. Mainly doing profitability but all the other stuff at times over the years and almost always working for P&A directors. What I CANT STAND tho is budgeting and monthly accounting roles.

I switched industries tho last year. Im in a high tech company now. ITs SOOO much more relaxed and the competition in terms of polished finance people is scarce. Easy pickens!!!

Thats where i have spent the bulk of my career. Mainly doing profitability but all the other stuff at times over the years and almost always working for P&A directors. What I CANT STAND tho is budgeting and monthly accounting roles.

I switched industries tho last year. Im in a high tech company now. ITs SOOO much more relaxed and the competition in terms of polished finance people is scarce. Easy pickens!!!

I don't think I'll ever take another role where I'm doing heavy close responsibilities. That just sucks. P&A is where its at. I've never worked at tech company, but I think getting a start in a financial services firm is essential for young finance grads. You've got your pick of the litter of just about every finance job around. In other firms its seems as though you choices are very limited and hte finance departments are a lot smaller and its probably harder to move to a completely different type fo function. In a financial services firm you can also hop around from Treasury, to Tax, to controllership, to P&A pretty easily. I love it!

I don't think I'll ever take another role where I'm doing heavy close responsibilities. That just sucks. P&A is where its at. I've never worked at tech company, but I think getting a start in a financial services firm is essential for young finance grads. You've got your pick of the litter of just about every finance job around. In other firms its seems as though you choices are very limited and hte finance departments are a lot smaller and its probably harder to move to a completely different type fo function. In a financial services firm you can also hop around from Treasury, to Tax, to controllership, to P&A pretty easily. I love it!

yep i agree. i was at one of the largest financial services firm in the world for 8 years.. i jumped around allot. BUT to get the PAY post MBA i had to leave the company. had gotten to point where each promotion i got they had to give me more then the company standard pay increase because i was below the bottom quartile in pay grade.. thats what happens when u start career and stay at same firm for to long. Now im in the 4th quartile of pay grade making double.. but obviously less movement options within the same company. pick your poison.

yep i agree. i was at one of the largest financial services firm in the world for 8 years.. i jumped around allot. BUT to get the PAY post MBA i had to leave the company. had gotten to point where each promotion i got they had to give me more then the company standard pay increase because i was below the bottom quartile in pay grade.. thats what happens when u start career and stay at same firm for to long. Now im in the 4th quartile of pay grade making double.. but obviously less movement options within the same company. pick your poison.

I totally agree. My long term goal is to get a comfy VP or CFO position at a small company down the road. You need to have seen most aspects of finance for that to happen though.

I totally agree. My long term goal is to get a comfy VP or CFO position at a small company down the road. You need to have seen most aspects of finance for that to happen though.

yep.. not mine.. i have already had opportunities to climb ladder and i keep resisting.. getting thrown into it this year but i resist as much as possible. I want to flip companies within 10 years.. buy improve profitability and process and sell.. working for the man is not for me.

yep.. not mine.. i have already had opportunities to climb ladder and i keep resisting.. getting thrown into it this year but i resist as much as possible. I want to flip companies within 10 years.. buy improve profitability and process and sell.. working for the man is not for me.

Really? Long term, I'd like to be appointed on a few boards. I don't see that happening if I don't at least make to a VP of finance somewhere.

Back