Been watching "The Island" and a thought occurred to me

AProudLefty

Black Kitty Ain't Happy
The people involved in creating the clones do not think they are real human beings. I have no opinion on it because I really do not know.

However, when a couple produces a child, is it a real human being? That's the real question.

The people involved in creating the clones do not think they are real human beings. I have no opinion on it because I really do not know.

However, when a couple produces a child, is it a real human being? That's the real question.
Clones are human beings. A “unique” DNA doesn’t make someone special. If they were then it’d be okay to murder one of two identical twins.

What is the difference between a set of identical twin children and a third child with the same DNA? Nothing IMO. No difference; all are human beings.

Clones are human beings. A “unique” DNA doesn’t make someone special. If they were then it’d be okay to murder one of two identical twins.

What is the difference between a set of identical twin children and a third child with the same DNA? Nothing IMO. No difference; all are human beings.

I understand but that isn't the question I am asking. If certain people don't think the clones are real people, what do they think of their offsprings?

As a side note, it is my opinion that androids like Lt. Data are not real people.

I understand but that isn't the question I am asking. If certain people don't think the clones are real people, what do they think of their offsprings?

As a side note, it is my opinion that androids like Lt. Data are not real people.

Definitions are in order. Please define “real people”.

Do you mean a “soul”? If so, how to measure the “soul” of a person? By weight? If so, I’m betting several JPP members are pretty light in the loafers. ;)

Definitions are in order. Please define “real people”.

Do you mean a “soul”? If so, how to measure the “soul” of a person? By weight?

Yes I mean soul, or more accurately, "personal identity". In the movie (which I think is plausible with plenty of examples) the clones have the memories of the clonees (that's my word, lol).

If so, I’m betting several JPP members are pretty light in the loafers.

LOL. :laugh:

Yes I mean soul, or more accurately, "personal identity". In the movie (which I think is plausible with plenty of examples) the clones have the memories of the clonees (that's my word, lol).

LOL. :laugh:
The movie was wrong. Consider in vitro fertilization where identical twins are created in a Petri dish with one egg implanted in the mother and the other frozen. A few years after the first egg has grown into a 10 year old kid, the second egg is implanted.

While the second egg will have identical DNA, it will be a completely different person at age 10….without any memories of the first kid since eggs don’t carry memory. :)

The movie was wrong. Consider in vitro fertilization where identical twins are created in a Petri dish with one egg implanted in the mother and the other frozen. A few years after the first egg has grown into a 10 year old kid, the second egg is implanted.

While the second egg will have identical DNA, it will be a completely different person at age 10….without any memories of the first kid since eggs don’t carry memory. :)

Ever watched "Gattica"? That's another good movie.

you do not create identical twins with invitro.

its difficult to say as there have been no human clones manufactured to date (so far as we know).

androids start off life as people and are then amended/upgraded.

its difficult to say as there have been no human clones manufactured to date (so far as we know).

androids start off life as people and are then amended/upgraded.

Sorry, but that’s incorrect nomenclature. Androids are synthetic humans.

You’re thinking Cyborgs like the Six Million Dollar man or Robocop. Artificially enhanced human beings.

As does consciousness.

As Descartes would say: "I think, therefore I am". Philosophers have been debating about personal identity for a long time. See Ship of Theseus.

Those robots in this video react to the environment. Do you think they are real people?

As Descartes would say: "I think, therefore I am". Philosophers have been debating about personal identity for a long time. See Ship of Theseus.

Those robots in this video react to the environment. Do you think they are real people?

Descartes thought subjectivity was necessary for thought. He never proved it.

Back