Better late than never ?

uscitizen

Villified User
Senators Propose Funds for Paper Ballots to Back Up Electronic Ones
By IAN URBINA

WASHINGTON, Sept. 26 — Three Senate Democrats proposed emergency legislation today to reimburse states for printing paper ballots that can be ready at polling places in case of problems with electronic voting machines on Nov. 7.

The proposal is a response to grass-roots pressure and growing concern by local and state officials about touch-screen machines. An estimated 40 percent of voters will use those machines in the election.

“If someone asks for a paper ballot they ought to be able to have it,” said Senator Barbara Boxer of California, a co-sponsor of the measure with Senator Christopher J. Dodd of Connecticut and Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconson.

Republican leadership aides were skeptical about the prospects for the measure. It would have to advance without opposition from any senator and then make it through the House in the short time available before Election Day.

Dozens of states are using optical-scan and touch-screen machines to comply with federal laws intended to phase out lever and punch-card machines after the hanging-chads confusion of the 2000 presidential election. Widespread problems were reported with the new technology and among poll workers using the machines this year in primaries in Arkansas, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio and elsewhere.

Local and state officials have expressed concern that the new systems might not be ready to handle increased turnouts. Election experts fear that the lack of a paper trail with most touch-screen machines will leave no way to verify votes in case of fraud or computer failure.

for complete story goto:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/26/w...&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

This does not appear to fix the lack of a paper trail problem though, and will just add to the confusion I fear.
It seems to just give the voter the option of voting on a paper ballot vs and electronic one with no paper trail.

We already have that option. What is the matter with these areas that went totally digital? They've never heard of a crash? I don't get what these County Officials must be thinking!

Another consideration. I don't know about other areas, but most poll officials areound here are over 50. And most prople over 50 are not very computer literate.

These are very simple. The central programming is done at the Clerk's office with much oversight by all parties concerned in the election. All you have to learn is how to open the box and check the seals and how to ensure a zero vote count before the election. If there is a problem you call a central number and within 15 minutes a computer savvy well-trained person shows up and fixes the machine....

Of course during that period voting continues using the optical scanner machines.

It sounds like your voting area is more on the ball than most Damo. No backup at all here last time around.

That's what stuns me. I can't believe that they didn't keep the old system for backup.

I agree, but from what I gather it is a commom problem around the country.
I liked the old lever type machines.

The oldest of the machines had visual checking. There were people sitting behind booths checking off who was voted for by the person voting in the booth... Not very secure. I am sure you aren't that old though.

I ma not sure what the guy behind the machine was doing ??? I think just reseting for the next voter, but not sure.
I have been told to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain anyway ;)

Back