Biden's incoherent debate performance heightens fears over his age

signalmankenneth

Verified User
It was not a bad debate night for Biden, he was incoherent and meandering?!! As far as Trump debate performance, he just spewed lies that were not fact checked by the moderators?!!

Before Thursday evening, many Americans had expressed concerns about Joe Biden’s age and fitness for office. To say that this debate did not put those concerns to rest may be one of the greatest understatements of the year.

The president came into the debate with a low bar to clear, and he stumbled. He was flat. He was rambling. He was unclear.

About midway through the debate, the Biden campaign said that the president was battling a cold - an attempt to explain his raspy voice. That may be so, but it also sounded like an excuse.

For 90 minutes, more often than not, he was on the ropes. Particularly early in the evening, some of his answers were nonsensical. After losing his train of thought he ended one answer by saying, “We finally beat Medicare” – an odd reference to the government-run healthcare program for the elderly.

Mr. Biden's own former communications director Kate Bedingfield was on CNN immediately after the debate, and she was clear: "There's no two ways about it, that was not a good debate for Joe Biden."

She said his biggest issue was to prove he had the energy and the stamina, and he didn't do that.

As the debate progressed, like a boxer on the ropes, Mr. Biden started to take big swings against his opponent in an attempt to change the momentum. A few of those swings landed, provoking Donald Trump into angry responses.

That the first few topics raised by CNN's moderators were on the top voter issues of economy and immigration - which polls show Americans trust Trump more on - only made the problem worse for the president, however.

“I really don’t know what he said at the end of that sentence, and I don’t think he did, either,” Trump said after another Biden response. That line may have summed up the night.

A more focused Trump​

Trump largely offered a disciplined, nimble performance. He avoided the kind of interruptions and belligerence that undermined his first debate showing in 2020 and turned the discussion back to attacks on Mr. Biden’s record whenever possible.

He repeatedly made assertions that weren't supported by facts as well as outright falsehoods, but Mr. Biden largely was unable to corner him on them.

When the topic turned to abortion, for instance, the former president repeatedly shifted attention to what he said was Democratic extremism. He claimed, incorrectly, that Democrats support abortions after babies are born.

Abortion is an issue that has proven to be a weakness for Trump and Republicans in general since the overturning of Roe v Wade - which had protected the constitutional right to abortion - by the Supreme Court in 2022. But Mr. Biden’s attacks in an area where he could have scored points fell flat.

“It’s been a terrible thing, what you’ve done,” the president said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crgedpw4r5eo

1719674045222.png

Biden can still right the ship.

He's back on the campaign on the campaign trail and on message, sounding sharp and focused.

Trump has ten tons of baggage.

Polls are still tied.

Enough with the naysaying.

IT was bad, and it should be discussed. Worse it was a missed opportunity to take Trump to the woodshed.

Trump was lying so badly and so gratuitously if Biden had been in shape, it would have been a bloodbath.

Sad situation for our DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC!

Bashing him here really does nothing. I don't think there are undecided voters lurking the forum trying to consider our opinions. He's too old, too supportive of the Israeli/Palestinian genocide, and just out of touch in general.

I will be happy to vote for him in November, simply because of who his opponent will be, and because I know a presidency is more than just one man.

Bashing him here really does nothing. I don't think there are undecided voters lurking the forum trying to consider our opinions. He's too old, too supportive of the Israeli/Palestinian genocide, and just out of touch in general.

I will be happy to vote for him in November, simply because of who his opponent will be, and because I know a presidency is more than just one man.
I think Biden has done a great job. Even though I hate his support for Israel's genocide.
But he is far better than Clinton and Obama.

Our nation has gotten to the point where someone trying to do good for the nation is an evil person. The Trump Corruption.

Back