bin Laden's "right-hand man" in Europe...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2147168/Abu-Qatada-Islamic-cleric-is-released-from-jail.html

Abu Qatada, the radical Islamic cleric described as Osama bin Laden’s “right-hand man in Europe”, has been released from jail after a judge ruled that there were no grounds to keep him in prison.

The decision to allow him to return to his home in London – where he will receive around £1,000 per month in state benefits – made a mockery of the government’s promise to crack down on terror suspects, and embarrassed the Home Office, which had pledged to deport Qatada to Jordan to face terror charges.

The Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, said she was “extremely disappointed” at the court’s decision to bail Qatada, while the Conservatives branded the decision “offensive”.

More at link...

This is a strange one and no mistake.

He's been in prison for the last 7 years having been charged with nothing. You'd think that in all those years the police and security services would have come up with something, anything at all, to charge him with. He is Osama's "right hand man in Europe" after all.

Incidentally, as part of his bail conditions the court thought it prudent to include Osama bin Laden on a list of 22 people who couldn't visit him. Just in case, eh?

This is a strange one and no mistake.

He's been in prison for the last 7 years having been charged with nothing. You'd think that in all those years the police and security services would have come up with something, anything at all, to charge him with. He is Osama's "right hand man in Europe" after all.

Incidentally, as part of his bail conditions the court thought it prudent to include Osama bin Laden on a list of 22 people who couldn't visit him. Just in case, eh?
They should have put him on the list that could visit him. Maybe he would have slipped up and popped on off to London to talk to his pal.

They should have put him on the list that could visit him. Maybe he would have slipped up and popped on off to London to talk to his pal.

LOL

Well, they've tried everything else.

I'd love to see the look on the policeman's face as Osama rode past on his donkey trying to look inconspicuous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2147168/Abu-Qatada-Islamic-cleric-is-released-from-jail.html

Abu Qatada, the radical Islamic cleric described as Osama bin Laden’s “right-hand man in Europe”, has been released from jail after a judge ruled that there were no grounds to keep him in prison.

The decision to allow him to return to his home in London – where he will receive around £1,000 per month in state benefits – made a mockery of the government’s promise to crack down on terror suspects, and embarrassed the Home Office, which had pledged to deport Qatada to Jordan to face terror charges.

The Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, said she was “extremely disappointed” at the court’s decision to bail Qatada, while the Conservatives branded the decision “offensive”.

More at link...

I think the Telegraph is a Rupert Murdoch publication, so with that in mind I'll give this article is due weight and consideration.

I think the Telegraph is a Rupert Murdoch publication, so with that in mind I'll give this article is due weight and consideration.

Murdoch owns the Times and Sunday Times.

The Telegraph used to be owned by Conrad Black, the convicted fraudster, but is now owned by the Barclay brothers.

More at link...
Well there is a suprise. Modern day conservatives offended by a judge releasing someone from 7 years in prison without charges because there is nothing to hold him on. Sounds perfectly in line with freedom to me. I bet McCain thinks that is another of those "Worst decisions ever!"

Well there is a suprise. Modern day conservatives offended by a judge releasing someone from 7 years in prison without charges because there is nothing to hold him on. Sounds perfectly in line with freedom to me. I bet McCain thinks that is another of those "Worst decisions ever!"

QFT

This sounds about right. The brits aren't wussys who just turn criminals loose on the street for no good reason. They certainly weren't pansies the way they treated the IRA.

There's probably more to this story than the excerpt indicates. Possibly, as you say, there was no legal basis to keep holding the guy.

Back