Black Americans Are Leaving Cities in the North and West

cawacko

I've always been interested in demographics and the movement of people. From today's WSJ. When my family moved to Oakland it was 47% black (today it is 22% and Hispanics outnumber black residents). When I went to school in L.A. South Central was a majority black, today it is a majority Hispanic. In California you had a combination of many people moving more inland where it was cheaper or back to the South.

Since this is a political board there's a political element as the article states in places like Georgia where the state has become purple due to the large influx of new black residents.

Historically black people had challenges being able to buy in certain areas which made them stay in large urban areas in such high numbers. Once that changed, and crime and poor schools in inner cities increased, black people moved more to the suburbs. Additionally as the cost of living in coastal cities increased returning to the South where there were job opportunities and cheaper living were options, many did so.

Departing residents head for the suburbs or metro areas in the South, census estimates show

The waves of migration that brought Black Americans to many northern cities are reversing.

Departing residents are heading everywhere from nearby suburbs to high-growth areas in the southern U.S., such as metro Atlanta, according to demographers, real-estate agents and public officials.

The latest U.S. Census Bureau estimates, released Thursday, indicate Black residents are continuing to leave many urban centers in the North and elsewhere, adding to decades of decline. These losses have hit many major cities with historically large Black populations, including Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Oakland, Calif.

The outflow marks a reversal of the Great Migration that began in the early 20th century as millions of Black Americans left the South looking for more economic opportunities and to flee racial violence. Much of the current shift is driven by younger, college-educated Black people who are relocating from northern and western places to the South, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

Some are motivated by rising housing costs and worries about safety.

“I wanted some peace and quiet. I was tired of the gunshots, the sirens,” said Mary Hall-Rayford, a retired teacher who moved from Detroit to neighboring Eastpointe, Mich., in 2012. “Eastpointe was a nice little city.”

She serves on the school board and is running for mayor.

The new census estimates show other cities included in the county-level data, like Philadelphia and Baltimore, saw the number of non-Hispanic Black residents decline more steeply than their overall population in the last measured year, which runs through mid-2022. This comes as many cities saw their numbers broadly shrink because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Khary Minor grew up in South Philadelphia and opened a barbershop there in 2016. Since the pandemic hit and crime rose, he said about 5% of his customers have left the city. The 47-year-old father of three is planning his own move when his lease expires in December and is scouting houses in suburban Darby, Pa.

“Better school district, nicer neighborhood, there’s not people out on every corner,” Minor said.

The decline in Philadelphia’s Black population is recent and coincides with the pandemic, so it remains unclear whether the trend is temporary, said Katie Martin, project director of the Pew Charitable Trusts’ Philadelphia Research and Policy Initiative.

This new migration has implications large and small. The influx of Black voters—many of whom vote Democratic—has turned formerly GOP-dominated Georgia into a swing state in recent elections.

When people filter out from inner cities, the neighborhoods and businesses they leave can suffer, according to residents and politicians.

Growing up in Cleveland’s majority-Black neighborhood of Mt. Pleasant, Mayor Justin Bibb said he got his first haircut, bought his first bicycle and went on his first date at a local ice cream shop—all on the same street.

“The majority were Black-owned,” the 36-year-old Democrat said, regarding shops there. “And unfortunately they went out of business.”

Bibb said Cleveland is focused on restoring commercial corridors in a city where the overall population shrank from more than 900,000 in 1950 to 373,000 people in 2020.

Nationwide, Black people haven’t suburbanized at the same level as the broader population, but the share of the Black population living in metropolitan-area suburbs reached 44% by 2020 from 33% two decades earlier. Over the same period, the percentage of the Black population living in central cities declined to 47% from 53%.

At the same time, Black populations in some southern metro areas have increased. Harris County, Texas, which includes Houston, added about 18,000 non-Hispanic Black residents between mid-2021 and mid-2022, according to the census estimates.

Counties surrounding Atlanta, broadly speaking, also saw gains.

Lakeisha McLean-Williams moved to Clayton County, just south of Atlanta, in the fall of 2021. The 41-year-old nurse said she decided to leave her house in Willingboro, N.J., near Philadelphia, because she was unhappy with the way the police responded to an altercation between her teenage son, who is Black, and a white teen.

McLean-Williams was able to find a five-bedroom house, bigger than the house she sold, for about the same price.

“I wanted to live down South but still wanted the city feeling,” she said.

Amber Noble, a real-estate agent and managing broker for Keller Williams Main Line in the suburbs of Philadelphia, said she has helped clients sell houses before relocating to Atlanta. “People call it the Black mecca of the world,” she said, adding that most people leaving Philadelphia say they are seeking better schools.

Oakland’s Black population has been declining for decades. The new census estimates show the Black population declined by 2.3% in Alameda County, which includes Oakland, between mid-2021 and mid-2022.

A history of practices such as redlining made it historically harder for Black people to acquire property and benefit when the housing market improved, said City Councilmember Carroll Fife. Redlining was a racist practice in which banks avoided lending in certain areas, often lower-income communities.

Fife has commissioned a “Black New Deal” study that aims to research the continuing effects of policies like redlining and urban renewal that damaged neighborhoods. “What we invest in and what we focus on grows,” she said.

Black people who live in the city are at risk being pushed out or into lower-income neighborhoods as housing costs rise, said Carolyn Johnson, chief executive of the Black Cultural Zone, a community-development organization in the city. She is concerned this dispersal saps the political power of Black residents within the city.

“Black people deserve to stay in the places that they held down when it wasn’t fun,” Johnson said.

While the Black population in Detroit’s Wayne County again ticked down, the share of Black residents in Macomb County, which includes Eastpointe, increased to an estimated 13.5% last year from 2.7% in 2000, the new census estimates show.

Eastpointe changed its name from East Detroit in the early 1990s, hoping to avoid associations with the Motor City, according to Kurt Metzger, a demographer who founded the nonprofit Data Driven Detroit. Many Black Detroiters moved to Macomb County in the first decade of the century, despite a history of racism, to take advantage of low home prices during the 2007-09 recession, he said.

Kevin Lancaster, a former Ford Motor employee, has run the Love Life Family Christian Center in Eastpointe since 2008. It now occupies a former elementary school, and Lancaster estimates about 30% of his predominantly Black congregation moved from Detroit.

“I’ve been pulled over in Eastpointe. I’ve gone through a lot of stuff in Eastpointe,” Lancaster said. “Now you’re seeing more minorities coming into prominence and coming into positions—which we need to see.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/black-...-the-north-and-west-c05bb118?mod=hp_lead_pos5

I've always been interested in demographics and the movement of people. From today's WSJ. When my family moved to Oakland it was 47% black (today it is 22% and Hispanics outnumber black residents). When I went to school in L.A. South Central was a majority black, today it is a majority Hispanic. In California you had a combination of many people moving more inland where it was cheaper or back to the South.

Since this is a political board there's a political element as the article states in places like Georgia where the state has become purple due to the large influx of new black residents.

Historically black people had challenges being able to buy in certain areas which made them stay in large urban areas in such high numbers. Once that changed, and crime and poor schools in inner cities increased, black people moved more to the suburbs. Additionally as the cost of living in coastal cities increased returning to the South where there were job opportunities and cheaper living were options, many did so.

Departing residents head for the suburbs or metro areas in the South, census estimates show

The waves of migration that brought Black Americans to many northern cities are reversing.

Departing residents are heading everywhere from nearby suburbs to high-growth areas in the southern U.S., such as metro Atlanta, according to demographers, real-estate agents and public officials.

The latest U.S. Census Bureau estimates, released Thursday, indicate Black residents are continuing to leave many urban centers in the North and elsewhere, adding to decades of decline. These losses have hit many major cities with historically large Black populations, including Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland and Oakland, Calif.

The outflow marks a reversal of the Great Migration that began in the early 20th century as millions of Black Americans left the South looking for more economic opportunities and to flee racial violence. Much of the current shift is driven by younger, college-educated Black people who are relocating from northern and western places to the South, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

“I wanted some peace and quiet. I was tired of the gunshots, the sirens,” said Mary Hall-Rayford, a retired teacher who moved from Detroit to neighboring Eastpointe, Mich., in 2012. “Eastpointe was a nice little city.”

The new census estimates show other cities included in the county-level data, like Philadelphia and Baltimore, saw the number of non-Hispanic Black residents decline more steeply than their overall population in the last measured year, which runs through mid-2022. This comes as many cities saw their numbers broadly shrink because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Khary Minor grew up in South Philadelphia and opened a barbershop there in 2016. Since the pandemic hit and crime rose, he said about 5% of his customers have left the city. The 47-year-old father of three is planning his own move when his lease expires in December and is scouting houses in suburban Darby, Pa.

“Better school district, nicer neighborhood, there’s not people out on every corner,” Minor said.

The decline in Philadelphia’s Black population is recent and coincides with the pandemic, so it remains unclear whether the trend is temporary, said Katie Martin, project director of the Pew Charitable Trusts’ Philadelphia Research and Policy Initiative.

This new migration has implications large and small. The influx of Black voters—many of whom vote Democratic—has turned formerly GOP-dominated Georgia into a swing state in recent elections.

When people filter out from inner cities, the neighborhoods and businesses they leave can suffer, according to residents and politicians.

Growing up in Cleveland’s majority-Black neighborhood of Mt. Pleasant, Mayor Justin Bibb said he got his first haircut, bought his first bicycle and went on his first date at a local ice cream shop—all on the same street.

“The majority were Black-owned,” the 36-year-old Democrat said, regarding shops there. “And unfortunately they went out of business.”

Bibb said Cleveland is focused on restoring commercial corridors in a city where the overall population shrank from more than 900,000 in 1950 to 373,000 people in 2020.

Nationwide, Black people haven’t suburbanized at the same level as the broader population, but the share of the Black population living in metropolitan-area suburbs reached 44% by 2020 from 33% two decades earlier. Over the same period, the percentage of the Black population living in central cities declined to 47% from 53%.

At the same time, Black populations in some southern metro areas have increased. Harris County, Texas, which includes Houston, added about 18,000 non-Hispanic Black residents between mid-2021 and mid-2022, according to the census estimates.

Lakeisha McLean-Williams moved to Clayton County, just south of Atlanta, in the fall of 2021. The 41-year-old nurse said she decided to leave her house in Willingboro, N.J., near Philadelphia, because she was unhappy with the way the police responded to an altercation between her teenage son, who is Black, and a white teen.

McLean-Williams was able to find a five-bedroom house, bigger than the house she sold, for about the same price.

Amber Noble, a real-estate agent and managing broker for Keller Williams Main Line in the suburbs of Philadelphia, said she has helped clients sell houses before relocating to Atlanta. “People call it the Black mecca of the world,” she said, adding that most people leaving Philadelphia say they are seeking better schools.

Oakland’s Black population has been declining for decades. The new census estimates show the Black population declined by 2.3% in Alameda County, which includes Oakland, between mid-2021 and mid-2022.

A history of practices such as redlining made it historically harder for Black people to acquire property and benefit when the housing market improved, said City Councilmember Carroll Fife. Redlining was a racist practice in which banks avoided lending in certain areas, often lower-income communities.

Fife has commissioned a “Black New Deal” study that aims to research the continuing effects of policies like redlining and urban renewal that damaged neighborhoods. “What we invest in and what we focus on grows,” she said.

Black people who live in the city are at risk being pushed out or into lower-income neighborhoods as housing costs rise, said Carolyn Johnson, chief executive of the Black Cultural Zone, a community-development organization in the city. She is concerned this dispersal saps the political power of Black residents within the city.

“Black people deserve to stay in the places that they held down when it wasn’t fun,” Johnson said.

While the Black population in Detroit’s Wayne County again ticked down, the share of Black residents in Macomb County, which includes Eastpointe, increased to an estimated 13.5% last year from 2.7% in 2000, the new census estimates show.

Eastpointe changed its name from East Detroit in the early 1990s, hoping to avoid associations with the Motor City, according to Kurt Metzger, a demographer who founded the nonprofit Data Driven Detroit. Many Black Detroiters moved to Macomb County in the first decade of the century, despite a history of racism, to take advantage of low home prices during the 2007-09 recession, he said.

Kevin Lancaster, a former Ford Motor employee, has run the Love Life Family Christian Center in Eastpointe since 2008. It now occupies a former elementary school, and Lancaster estimates about 30% of his predominantly Black congregation moved from Detroit.

“I’ve been pulled over in Eastpointe. I’ve gone through a lot of stuff in Eastpointe,” Lancaster said. “Now you’re seeing more minorities coming into prominence and coming into positions—which we need to see.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/black-...-the-north-and-west-c05bb118?mod=hp_lead_pos5
Don’t find that unusual, migration has always been a characteristic of America, people will follow where the jobs are, and the northern States have been losing jobs, especially blue collar jobs, to other areas of the country. Not a bad thing

Predict the trend will reverse itself in the next decade when the effects of climate change escalate

And talking neighborhoods, I grew up in an Irish neighborhood that was previously German and in my salad days transitioned over to Italian. Today is a mix of everything. Got to say I was raised in an environment of varying languages and cuisines with friends from all different backgrounds, and that is what makes the northeast special

Let me just say this- Black folks are no different than any other race, when it comes to finding a place where the wages are good, chances for employment are high, and the living expenses are best affordable for them. I think it is like common sense!

I will also ad, that because of hardships of the past, it may have been harder for Black Families to just pack it up and move around much in the past..

As more Blacks are gainfully employed today, they certainly have more opportunities to move about as they desire.

And it is true that living in the coastal states and large metropolitan areas of New York and California are higher than most other areas in the US.

So you will see every race of people running from that if they can!

Home ownership in the large metropolitan areas of New York and California is unaffordable to most Americans now, and has been that way for decades.

Don’t find that unusual, migration has always been a characteristic of America, people will follow where the jobs are, and the northern States have been losing jobs, especially blue collar jobs, to other areas of the country. Not a bad thing

Predict the trend will reverse itself in the next decade when the effects of climate change escalate

And talking neighborhoods, I grew up in an Irish neighborhood that was previously German and in my salad days transitioned over to Italian. Today is a mix of everything. Got to say I was raised in an environment of varying languages and cuisines with friends from all different backgrounds, and that is what makes the northeast special
Wasn't there a famous line about NYC where the guy said 'tell me a person's last name and I'll tell you what neighborhood they live in?'

Neighborhoods do change over time. What we see in the Bay Area is there is pushback if those neighborhoods tended to be dominated by minority groups previously.

(Unless they are rich, people who leaving California for places like Denver, Austin or Nashville aren't going to move back to California in the future because it's only going to be more unaffordable.)

Blacks and whites in the South have lived alongside each other peacefully for 100 years; unlike the segregated North and West.

Blacks and whites in the South have lived alongside each other peacefully for 100 years; unlike the segregated North and West.
It’s interesting, I live in a City that 1/3 Asian and in a state where the largest ethnic group is Hispanic and whites and blacks combined don’t make up half the population. Not sure how many other states share that demographic (whites and blacks being less than half the population).

The wife and I were in a 4.5 hour flight delay in DFW heading to Nashville yesterday. We started visiting with this black couple who were sitting near us while we were waiting. They were retirement age like us, from California and looking to relocate. They had checked out Austin and were on the flight with us to Nashville to check it out. “We’re definitely going to move just depends on where.” They cited horrendous traffic and high cost of living as their reason to relocate.

Yeah, Dixie has always been renowned for its race relations
The worst race riots were in the North and West. The Boston bussing race riots were led by Joe Biden.
It was the Socialist Woodrow that rebirthed the KKK, mostly in the North and West, when he re segregated the Federal workforce.
It was the Socialist FDR that created Redlining, mostly for the North and West because of the Great Migration from 1910 t0 1970.
It is the Northern White Libs that trap Blacks in Ghettos and poverty, with no education and generational welfare.

It’s interesting, I live in a City that 1/3 Asian and in a state where the largest ethnic group is Hispanic and whites and blacks combined don’t make up half the population. Not sure how many other states share that demographic (whites and blacks being less than half the population).
Hawaii is 21% White and 2% Black.

Texas is getting close ...
"Hispanics now officially make up the biggest share of ...

The Texas Tribune
https://www.texastribune.org › 2023/06/21 › census-tex...

Jun 21, 2023 — Hispanic Texans are now the largest demographic group in the state, outnumbering white Texans by nearly 129,000 people, according to the latest ...

Hawaii is 21% White and 2% Black.

Texas is getting close ...
"Hispanics now officially make up the biggest share of ...

The Texas Tribune
https://www.texastribune.org › 2023/06/21 › census-tex...

Jun 21, 2023 — Hispanic Texans are now the largest demographic group in the state, outnumbering white Texans by nearly 129,000 people, according to the latest ...
Hawaii is a good one, I didn't think of that. I knew Hispanics surpassed whites in Texas but I believe that the black and white population combined still totals over 50% (just barely).

The wife and I were in a 4.5 hour flight delay in DFW heading to Nashville yesterday. We started visiting with this black couple who were sitting near us while we were waiting. They were retirement age like us, from California and looking to relocate. They had checked out Austin and were on the flight with us to Nashville to check it out. “We’re definitely going to move just depends on where.” They cited horrendous traffic and high cost of living as their reason to relocate.
This has been my observation for Bay Area people nearing retirement age. Some clearly stay. Some move more inland (places like Sacramento and its surrounding suburbs). Then you have those who move out of state like the people you met. As for that latter group cost of living is a big one you hear along with wanting to be near their kids and grandkids. And in that group, those who have owned their home for a long time are sitting on a goldmine. So they sell to cash out and live a good life in another state.

Not sure that ethnicity has anything to do with it,
but gentrification and the high demand for urban housing
has made it very difficult for any lower income people to stay in the city.

Boston is a hideously expensive place to live,
and I can't imagine why similar cities, at least on the two coasts,
wouldn't be the same.

We and our kids have managed to stay here,
which is a blessing because this is where we like to live.

When one is accustomed to having so many desirable things right at hand,
and the stimulation of the city activity,
it's hard to give it up.

I suspect that those who grew up in quiet and scenic rural environs would probably feel the same way.
It would be great if everybody could live where he/she wanted to live,
but this is far too imperfect a world for that, unfortunately.

The worst race riots were in the North and West. The Boston bussing race riots were led by Joe Biden.
It was the Socialist Woodrow that rebirthed the KKK, mostly in the North and West, when he re segregated the Federal workforce.
It was the Socialist FDR that created Redlining, mostly for the North and West because of the Great Migration from 1910 t0 1970.
It is the Northern White Libs that trap Blacks in Ghettos and poverty, with no education and generational welfare.
And it was Dixie who kept Black Americans enslaved and fought a war to keep them enslaved

Back