Blue Dogs

leaningright

Moderate Republican
Staff member
Here's an interesting article that makes me a little more OK with an Obama presidency, which I am sure is what we are going to have in a few months.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...tary_by_froma_harrop/blue_dogs_have_their_day

"Liberals are of course delighted by the prospect of a strengthened House majority, but they ought to digest the reality that these new Democrats aren't entirely their type. Remember how they rejoiced earlier this year when their party took three Republican seats in special elections? Two of them, Travis Childers in Mississippi and Don Cazayoux in Louisiana, immediately joined the Blue Dogs. They are economic populists but also as socially conservative as any Southern Republican and deficit hawks."

These are closer to my type of democrat.

Blue Dogs work for me too.

I am not sweating what party is in power. I am worried about what the individuals in power will do.

A conservative fiscal policy is what interests me. Not whether there is a D or an R behind the name.

Blue Dogs work for me too.

I am not sweating what party is in power. I am worried about what the individuals in power will do.

A conservative fiscal policy is what interests me. Not whether there is a D or an R behind the name.
Yes but this is what the left of the dem party HATE. They want a majority, but not a fiscally conservative assisted majority. There is a belief among the left that if they can just punish the party long enough by voting for Nadar or McKinney the Dems will start running old school liberals and somehow the rest of the nation will see the beauty in that and vote hands down for the liberal candidates. Even though a truly left pol has not been elected president in forever

Yes but this is what the left of the dem party HATE. They want a majority, but not a fiscally conservative assisted majority. There is a belief among the left that if they can just punish the party long enough by voting for Nadar or McKinney the Dems will start running old school liberals and somehow the rest of the nation will see the beauty in that and vote hands down for the liberal candidates. Even though a truly left pol has not been elected president in forever

The blue dogs are social conservatives, fiscal liberals, not fiscal conservatives Soc.

To continue being elected in the south as a Democrat, membership in the blue dogs is all but required. Both of the white Democratic representatives in my state are members in the blue dogs. I vote for the one in my district mostly because he's not a Republican.

Democrats down here are better described as fascists.

They want to control your life economically and socially, as opposed to Republicans who only want to control it socially, and libertarians who won't get elected.

Democrats down here are better described as fascists.

They want to control your life economically and socially, as opposed to Republicans who only want to control it socially, and libertarians who won't get elected.

You're over exaggerating this.

The political opinion of southerners is so homogeneous both parties have been forced to adopt practically the same platform with only a few meager differences.

I will have you know that it was the Democrats in my state who decriminalized pot.

You're over exaggerating this.

The political opinion of southerners is so homogeneous both parties have been forced to adopt practically the same platform with only a few meager differences.

I will have you know that it was the Democrats in my state who decriminalized pot.

I was really curious about that. Were your prison costs just unsustainable?

And no I'm not really exaggerating, just simplifiying. I could CMA and say that there are individual exceptions and it varies by region and blah blah blah, but it is a pretty good rule in general.

OK, so that was inaccurate. The Republicans and Democrats abolished parole in the 90's and just restored it now. It really doesn't matter who you vote for in the south. I vote for Democrats at a federal level because I know they will have to vote for party leaders who will lead the legislature in a different direction and I know the party leaders will force them to vote for some things that I support.

Back