Bobby Kennedy...missing more than just the man

Bfgrn

RFK's Voice...

rfk_children_480_01.jpg

There is a major failing in today's political discourse. What is too often missing in our national debates is the moral dimension. Although, as a candidate, Barack Obama showed signs of changing the framework of Presidential politics, the last American political figure who insistently and credibly injected morality into politics was Robert F. Kennedy. In the more than forty years since his voice was stilled, no national leader has truly challenged us to apply the test of moral values to our search for solutions to domestic and global problems.

I had the opportunity to work for Robert Kennedy in his Senate office in New York.
---
His office attracted pleas for help from the most vulnerable of New Yorkers. I vividly remember hearing from single mothers in Harlem, whose nights were regularly spent protecting their children from being attacked by rats, to elderly residents of Queens, whose doctors were refusing to accept Medicare's payments in full. (Indeed today, increasing numbers of physicians are repeating this reluctance to treat Medicare patients.) I would regularly call landlords, physicians, and others on behalf of Senator Kennedy asking what they were going to do to make life a bit more bearable for those who were suffering. Invariably, I would hear the words: "You mean to tell me that Robert Kennedy cares about this?" I would get notes from him in tiny scrawled writing asking how we had helped each writer or caller. We seldom failed to get action on each individual situation, and then preserved the patterns of evidence for potential systematic solutions in a Kennedy Administration.

To me, working for him proved that appeals to morality, backed by the power of a political legacy and a future Presidency, could make a real difference in people's anguished lives.

In so many areas, Robert Kennedy based his political positions on a simple, fundamental, and passionate appeal to what was the right thing to do. The moral value system that under-lied his politics emphasized that each of us had a responsibility to each other. In the age-old tug of war between individual freedom and social justice, he pressed for the latter. He confronted college students about the scandal of those without a higher education having to serve in the military. He scolded medical students about their indifference to the needs of the minority poor. He pressured corporate executives to create jobs in inner city communities like Bedford Stuyvesant. He raised uncomfortable questions, like "suppose God is black?" And he dared to accuse a Democratic Administration of appealing to the darker impulses of the American spirit by playing God in waging a destructive war in a tiny Far East nation.

One of his favorite quotes was Dante's that "the hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who in a time of moral crisis preserve their neutrality." Today, I believe he would say that we have neutralized morality.

When was the last time an American political leader framed a policy issue in terms of our social conscience? Discussions about health care, the future of retirement, the education of our children, and the distribution of wealth, inequality, and poverty seem devoid of moral idealism. We talk instead about the accommodation of interests, as though each has an equal claim and as though the paramount standard must be economic self-interest. As a result, we are still shamefully far from what RFK defined as the essence of the American ideal: "a social order shaped to the needs of all our people."

Whole article...

I don't know much about RFK. But if he was anything like JFK, he has my admiration. Had I been alive at the time, JFK would have been the first (and incidentally the last) Democrat to receive my vote for President. He was very different from his sack of manure brother, Teddy AKA the Swimmer.

I don't know much about RFK. But if he was anything like JFK, he has my admiration. Had I been alive at the time, JFK would have been the first (and incidentally the last) Democrat to receive my vote for President. He was very different from his sack of manure brother, Teddy AKA the Swimmer.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you are basing your regards for JFK on right wing revisionism.

If you hated Ted, you'd hate Jack and Bobby. Ted was a Senator at the time of both his brother's assassinations. Jack was Ted's hero. He dedicated his public life to fulfilling the unfinished work and vision of Jack and Bobby.

"For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die."
Ted Kennedy

Ah, once again, so much for Christian forgiveness...

Ah, once again, so much for Christian forgiveness...

Chappaquiddick was a tragedy, and Ted's actions after the accident were questionable. A young woman died.

Ted Kennedy did more good in his life than bad. Millions of Americans benefited from Ted's work. He was an unwavering champion for the little guy and he always stood up boldly for anyone whose rights were violated or were treated unjustly.

Chappaquiddick was a tragedy, and Ted's actions after the accident were questionable. A young woman died.

Ted Kennedy did more good in his life than bad. Millions of Americans benefited from Ted's work. He was an unwavering champion for the little guy and he always stood up boldly for anyone whose rights were violated or were treated unjustly.

We all know what he did was wrong, and that he got away with it, but it does not take away from his life of service. There are many people who committed manslaughter that have gone on to be good and productive people.

lord...if he was a republican you would demand his resignation and criminal charges, but its ok for a dem to kill someone, but god forbid a republican sleep with someone

unbelievable

I hate to burst your bubble, but you are basing your regards for JFK on right wing revisionism.

If you hated Ted, you'd hate Jack and Bobby. Ted was a Senator at the time of both his brother's assassinations. Jack was Ted's hero. He dedicated his public life to fulfilling the unfinished work and vision of Jack and Bobby.

JFK was a tax reformer who supported what you deem "voodoo economics."

"It is no contradiction – the most important single thing we can do to stimulate investment in today's economy is to raise consumption by major reduction of individual income tax rates."

"It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now [...] Cutting taxes now is not to incur a budget deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous, expanding economy which can bring a budget surplus."

"Lower rates of taxation will stimulate economic activity and so raise the levels of personal and corporate income as to yield within a few years an increased – not a reduced – flow of revenues to the federal government."
John F. Kennedy, Jan. 17, 1963

President Hoover dramatically increased tax rates in the 1930s and President Roosevelt compounded the damage by pushing marginal tax rates to more than 90 percent. Recognizing that high tax rates were hindering the economy, President Kennedy proposed across-the-board tax rate reductions that reduced the top tax rate from more than 90 percent down to 70 percent. What happened? Tax revenues climbed from $94 billion in 1961 to $153 billion in 1968, an increase of 62 percent (33 percent after adjusting for inflation).

According to President John F. Kennedy:
Our true choice is not between tax reduction, on the one hand, and the avoidance of large Federal deficits on the other. It is increasingly clear that no matter what party is in power, so long as our national security needs keep rising, an economy hampered by restrictive tax rates will never produce enough revenues to balance our budget just as it will never produce enough jobs or enough profits… In short, it is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2003/08/the-historical-lessons-of-lower-tax-rates

JFK also supported cutting tax rates for corporations. Ted, by comparison, never met a tax hike that he didn't like.

JFK was a fierce opponent of the Federal Reserve system, which is possibly the greatest threat to what you choose to call "the little guy." If today's liberals care about the middle class, why do they refuse to audit the Federal Reserve, opposing such measures as the Federal Reserve Transparency Act?

Furthermore, JFK's foreign policy was undeniably conservative, taking a firm stand against the spread of communism in Southeast Asia.

JFK was a tax reformer who supported what you deem "voodoo economics."

"It is no contradiction – the most important single thing we can do to stimulate investment in today's economy is to raise consumption by major reduction of individual income tax rates."

"It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now [...] Cutting taxes now is not to incur a budget deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous, expanding economy which can bring a budget surplus."

"Lower rates of taxation will stimulate economic activity and so raise the levels of personal and corporate income as to yield within a few years an increased – not a reduced – flow of revenues to the federal government."
John F. Kennedy, Jan. 17, 1963

President Hoover dramatically increased tax rates in the 1930s and President Roosevelt compounded the damage by pushing marginal tax rates to more than 90 percent. Recognizing that high tax rates were hindering the economy, President Kennedy proposed across-the-board tax rate reductions that reduced the top tax rate from more than 90 percent down to 70 percent. What happened? Tax revenues climbed from $94 billion in 1961 to $153 billion in 1968, an increase of 62 percent (33 percent after adjusting for inflation).

According to President John F. Kennedy:
Our true choice is not between tax reduction, on the one hand, and the avoidance of large Federal deficits on the other. It is increasingly clear that no matter what party is in power, so long as our national security needs keep rising, an economy hampered by restrictive tax rates will never produce enough revenues to balance our budget just as it will never produce enough jobs or enough profits… In short, it is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2003/08/the-historical-lessons-of-lower-tax-rates

JFK also supported cutting tax rates for corporations. Ted, by comparison, never met a tax hike that he didn't like.

JFK was a fierce opponent of the Federal Reserve system, which is possibly the greatest threat to what you choose to call "the little guy." If today's liberals care about the middle class, why do they refuse to audit the Federal Reserve, opposing such measures as the Federal Reserve Transparency Act?

Furthermore, JFK's foreign policy was undeniably conservative, taking a firm stand against the spread of communism in Southeast Asia.

JFK had ordered 1,000 military advisers withdrawn from Vietnam by the end on 1963, and he was planning to withdraw all personnel by 1965 after he secured a second term. He never made it to the end of 1963. His assassination was the biggest turning point in American history. Vietnam was a disaster that would have never happened if Kennedy had lived.

JFK's tax cuts were demand side and Keynesian based, not supply side. Similar to Obama's middle class tax cuts, cash for clunkers and temporary extension of unemployment and food stamps, they were designed to give consumers money to inject into the economy. The KEY that conservatives always ignore is that the tax rates were very high in 1961. They were high for good reason. FDR was a responsible leader. WWII had to be paid for. Our biggest economic boom was during those high tax rates. Trickle down never happened. The only thing Reagan's voodoo economics did is transfer wealth from the poor and the middle class to the opulent. It began the destruction of the middle class and returned America to the Gilded Age.

The man behind JFK's demand side tax cuts was Walter Heller.

Walter Wolfgang Heller (1915–1987) was born to German immigrant parents in Buffalo, N.Y.

Heller was a leading American economist of the 1960s, and an influential advisor to President John F. Kennedy as chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors, 1961-64. He was a Keynesian who promoted cuts in the marginal federal income tax rates. This tax cut, which was passed by President Lyndon B. Johnson and Congress after Kennedy's death, was credited for boosting the U.S. economy. Heller developed the first "voluntary" wage-price guidelines. When the steel industry failed to follow them, it was publicly attacked by Kennedy and quickly complied. Heller was one of the first to emphasize that tax deductions and tax preferences narrowed the income tax base, thus requiring, for a given amount of revenue, higher marginal tax rates. The historic tax cut and its positive effect on the economy has often been cited as motivation for more recent tax cuts by Republicans.

The day after Kennedy was assassinated, Heller met with President Johnson in the Oval Office. To get the country going again, Heller suggested a major initiative he called the "War on Poverty", which Johnson adopted enthusiastically. Later, when Johnson insisted on escalating the Vietnam War without raising taxes, setting the stage for an inflationary spiral, Heller resigned.

In the early phases of his career, Heller contributed to the creation of the Marshall Plan of 1947, and was instrumental in re-establishing the German currency following World War II, which helped usher an economic boom in West Germany.

Heller was critical of Milton Friedman's followers and labelled them cultish: "Some of them are Friedmanly, some Friedmanian, some Friedmanesque, some Friedmanic and some Friedmaniacs."

Walter Heller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RFK's Voice...

rfk_children_480_01.jpg

There is a major failing in today's political discourse. What is too often missing in our national debates is the moral dimension. Although, as a candidate, Barack Obama showed signs of changing the framework of Presidential politics, the last American political figure who insistently and credibly injected morality into politics was Robert F. Kennedy. In the more than forty years since his voice was stilled, no national leader has truly challenged us to apply the test of moral values to our search for solutions to domestic and global problems.

I had the opportunity to work for Robert Kennedy in his Senate office in New York.
---
His office attracted pleas for help from the most vulnerable of New Yorkers. I vividly remember hearing from single mothers in Harlem, whose nights were regularly spent protecting their children from being attacked by rats, to elderly residents of Queens, whose doctors were refusing to accept Medicare's payments in full. (Indeed today, increasing numbers of physicians are repeating this reluctance to treat Medicare patients.) I would regularly call landlords, physicians, and others on behalf of Senator Kennedy asking what they were going to do to make life a bit more bearable for those who were suffering. Invariably, I would hear the words: "You mean to tell me that Robert Kennedy cares about this?" I would get notes from him in tiny scrawled writing asking how we had helped each writer or caller. We seldom failed to get action on each individual situation, and then preserved the patterns of evidence for potential systematic solutions in a Kennedy Administration.

To me, working for him proved that appeals to morality, backed by the power of a political legacy and a future Presidency, could make a real difference in people's anguished lives.

In so many areas, Robert Kennedy based his political positions on a simple, fundamental, and passionate appeal to what was the right thing to do. The moral value system that under-lied his politics emphasized that each of us had a responsibility to each other. In the age-old tug of war between individual freedom and social justice, he pressed for the latter. He confronted college students about the scandal of those without a higher education having to serve in the military. He scolded medical students about their indifference to the needs of the minority poor. He pressured corporate executives to create jobs in inner city communities like Bedford Stuyvesant. He raised uncomfortable questions, like "suppose God is black?" And he dared to accuse a Democratic Administration of appealing to the darker impulses of the American spirit by playing God in waging a destructive war in a tiny Far East nation.

One of his favorite quotes was Dante's that "the hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who in a time of moral crisis preserve their neutrality." Today, I believe he would say that we have neutralized morality.

When was the last time an American political leader framed a policy issue in terms of our social conscience? Discussions about health care, the future of retirement, the education of our children, and the distribution of wealth, inequality, and poverty seem devoid of moral idealism. We talk instead about the accommodation of interests, as though each has an equal claim and as though the paramount standard must be economic self-interest. As a result, we are still shamefully far from what RFK defined as the essence of the American ideal: "a social order shaped to the needs of all our people."

Whole article...

"When was the last time an American political leader framed a policy issue in terms of our social conscience? Discussions about health care, the future of retirement, the education of our children, and the distribution of wealth, inequality, and poverty seem devoid of moral idealism. We talk instead about the accommodation of interests, as though each has an equal claim and as though the paramount standard must be economic self-interest. As a result, we are still shamefully far from what RFK defined as the essence of the American ideal: "a social order shaped to the needs of all our people."

The social contract is meaningless to today's conservatives, they don't even know what the words mean.

lord...if he was a republican you would demand his resignation and criminal charges, but its ok for a dem to kill someone, but god forbid a republican sleep with someone

unbelievable

"God forbid a republican sleep with someone"?

That's not what conservatives said about Clinton.

"When was the last time an American political leader framed a policy issue in terms of our social conscience? Discussions about health care, the future of retirement, the education of our children, and the distribution of wealth, inequality, and poverty seem devoid of moral idealism. We talk instead about the accommodation of interests, as though each has an equal claim and as though the paramount standard must be economic self-interest. As a result, we are still shamefully far from what RFK defined as the essence of the American ideal: "a social order shaped to the needs of all our people."

The social contract is meaningless to today's conservatives, they don't even know what the words mean.

So true...look how that scum bag Glenn Beck told people to run from any church that preaches 'social justice'...then he holds a rally and tries to connect it to Martin Luther King Jr, who preached social justice.

We all know what he did was wrong, and that he got away with it, but it does not take away from his life of service. There are many people who committed manslaughter that have gone on to be good and productive people.
I never have understood the right wings hostility towards Teddy (to be honest with you, they seem to be very hostile towards anyone who doesn't walk in lock step with them). Hell Teddy did more then anyone I can think of to get Ronald Reagan elected in 1980.

That may be true, but most of them spent time behind bars for their crime, Teddy walked because of his name.

Back