Boston Red Sox

Rich

Verified User
Legendary team with a deep history in Major League Baseball. Fenway Park. Ted Williams. Roger Clemens. Wade Boggs. Some other guys. Big red B. 2018 World Series Champions. 2013 World Series Champions. 2007 World Series Champions. 2004 World Series Champions. What can you say about these players? This team is pure. They kick a lot of ass. They have consistently dominated the sport since 2000. Any Red Sox fans? Here's to a champ quality 2020. They can do it. They got it in them to do it. They should. What do you think?

Legendary team with a deep history in Major League Baseball. Fenway Park. Ted Williams. Roger Clemens. Wade Boggs. Some other guys. Big red B. 2018 World Series Champions. 2013 World Series Champions. 2007 World Series Champions. 2004 World Series Champions. What can you say about these players? This team is pure. They kick a lot of ass. They have consistently dominated the sport since 2000. Any Red Sox fans? Here's to a champ quality 2020. They can do it. They got it in them to do it. They should. What do you think?

McSlawber and Owl say the Red Sx won't accept an invitation to the White House this yr. after not making the playoffs.
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-in-the-White-House-%94&p=3331721#post3331721
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-in-the-White-House-%94&p=3333838#post3333838

I've liked certain Red Sox players over the years, but not the team as a whole. I don't dislike the team, I just don't have any strong feelings for them either way. I did like Fred Lynn and Jim Rice. After his spectacular rookie season, I'm surprised Lynn didn't have a better overall career. My favorite Red Sox player all-time is Tony Conigliaro. If he hadn't been hit in the head by a pitch he would've put up unbelievable career numbers. He had just two decent seasons after being hit and was never the same after that.

My favorite Red Sox player all-time is Tony Conigliaro. If he hadn't been hit in the head by a pitch he would've put up unbelievable career numbers. He had just two decent seasons after being hit and was never the same after that.
I think that's why I was never a good ball player. Unconsciously (or consciously) I was always scared shitless of what that baseball could do to me. Pretty sure I struck out every time I was at bat, I was a terrible fielder, and even when placed in right field and a ball was hit my way I always misjudged it and it would usually fly over my head. I was absolutely horrible my one and only season as a little leaguer.

My family has a long history of being Red Sox fans. My grandmother used to take me to games. Her mother was written up in the Globe when she turned 100, as the oldest Sox fan. After my Dad retired he tried to get a spot working the scoreboard- they guy told him that he was too late, the waiting list was 20 years for those no-pay positions. My oldest sister had season passes. Now that she's retired, she and my Dad have season passes to Fenway II in Ft. Myers.

Carlton Fisk lived 4 blocks down the street from where I grew up. Guys in my neighborhood would ring the bell and ask for autographs. I never figured why they would do that- leave the poor guy alone.

I worked in Boston for about three years while in and for a short time after college. Me and my buds would skip out of work early and pay $4 for bleacher seats. The best part was the fights that erupted in the seats around us.

My uncle worked with Carl Yazskemski to set up his Ford dealership after he retired from ball. Yaz gave him his custom made 55 gallon fish tank, filters, heaters and everything, since he wasn't very good at keeping fish alive. My uncle gave it to me, and I had it set up beautiful in my first apartment. Three years later I moved it to the first house that I rented and that was great for about a year. I had automatic feeders and everything. When I got back from a weeks vacation the front glass had popped out and I had 55 gallons of water, sand and dead fish all over the living room.

I married a girl from NY, and that burned my Dad when I first started dating her because he figured she was a Yankees fan. Then he met her and saw how gorgeous she is and stopped caring about some dumb rivalry.

I think that's why I was never a good ball player. Unconsciously (or consciously) I was always scared shitless of what that baseball could do to me. Pretty sure I struck out every time I was at bat, I was a terrible fielder, and even when placed in right field and a ball was hit my way I always misjudged it and it would usually fly over my head. I was absolutely horrible my one and only season as a little leaguer.

We played pick-up ball every day as kids. We played with a wiffle ball, a tennis ball with a hole poked in it, a baseball if we had a decent field to play on. Stick ball was with a sawed down hockey stick. That's how I learned how to hit a pitched ball, and because of that I made the bases every time playing organized ball through junior high. I remember hitting balls so far into in the woods guys couldn't find it.

Then high school came and I tried out as a freshman. Those bastards hit the ball so high that I lost sight of it as a fielder. After that one "practice" I walked off and didn't even sign up.

I've liked certain Red Sox players over the years, but not the team as a whole. I don't dislike the team, I just don't have any strong feelings for them either way. I did like Fred Lynn and Jim Rice. After his spectacular rookie season, I'm surprised Lynn didn't have a better overall career. My favorite Red Sox player all-time is Tony Conigliaro. If he hadn't been hit in the head by a pitch he would've put up unbelievable career numbers. He had just two decent seasons after being hit and was never the same after that.

Rice took over Yaz's role as a "lifer". Both of those guys played for the Sox something like 20 years each.

Back