Bush Derangement Syndrome: now that GOP'ers have it, it's not so crazy

Onceler

From Peggy Noonan's recent column:

"I'm not referring to what used to be called Bush Derangement Syndrome. That phrase suggested that to passionately dislike the president was to be somewhat unhinged. No one thinks that anymore. I received an email before the news conference from as rock-ribbed a Republican as you can find, a Georgia woman (middle-aged, entrepreneurial) who'd previously supported him. She said she'd had it. "I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth." I was startled by her vehemence only because she is, as I said, rock-ribbed. Her email reminded me of another, one a friend received some months ago: "I took the W off my car today," it said on the subject line. It sounded like a country western song, like a great lament.

As I watched the news conference, it occurred to me that one of the things that might leave people feeling somewhat disoriented is the president's seemingly effortless high spirits. He's in a good mood. There was the usual teasing, the partly aggressive, partly joshing humor, the certitude. He doesn't seem to be suffering, which is jarring. Presidents in great enterprises that are going badly suffer: Lincoln, LBJ with his head in his hands. Why doesn't Mr. Bush? Every major domestic initiative of his second term has been ill thought through and ended in failure. His Iraq leadership has failed. His standing is lower than any previous president's since polling began. He's in a good mood. Discuss."

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/

He's only arrogant, weird & incompetent when THEY decide he's arrogant, weird & incompetent. Up until then, we were just the haters, the whacked out left, the traitors. There has always been such an obsession on the right with "Bush hate." While I do not hate the guy, I can certainly understand hatred for him, or at least disgust.

"I'm not referring to what used to be called Bush Derangement Syndrome. That phrase suggested that to passionately dislike the president was to be somewhat unhinged. No one thinks that anymore. I received an email before the news conference from as rock-ribbed a Republican as you can find, a Georgia woman (middle-aged, entrepreneurial) who'd previously supported him. She said she'd had it. "I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth." I was startled by her vehemence only because she is, as I said, rock-ribbed. Her email reminded me of another, one a friend received some months ago: "I took the W off my car today," it said on the subject line. It sounded like a country western song, like a great lament.

As I watched the news conference, it occurred to me that one of the things that might leave people feeling somewhat disoriented is the president's seemingly effortless high spirits. He's in a good mood. There was the usual teasing, the partly aggressive, partly joshing humor, the certitude. He doesn't seem to be suffering, which is jarring. Presidents in great enterprises that are going badly suffer: Lincoln, LBJ with his head in his hands. Why doesn't Mr. Bush? Every major domestic initiative of his second term has been ill thought through and ended in failure. His Iraq leadership has failed. His standing is lower than any previous president's since polling began. He's in a good mood. Discuss."

He's only arrogant, weird & incompetent when THEY decide he's arrogant, weird & incompetent. Up until then, we were just the haters, the whacked out left, the traitors. There has always been such an obsession on the right with "Bush hate." While I do not hate the guy, I can certainly understand hatred for him, or at least disgust.

We'll still be the haters, the traitors and the whacked out left. Just as once war supporters started to turn on bush's war, they would say about liberals "they were right but for the wrong reasons". We were right, but not because we could see what was going to happen, and not even because we believed the war was immoral...we were right because we were reflexively against the war out of our hatred of America and were, and still are, rooting for the US "to lose".

This will be no different.

Understand that a major portion of right wing disgust is over the amnesty fiasco, which is recent.

I am not sure how to state this but...
Ever since Regan Republicans have been projecting their own problems onto the dems.
Like a kid, if I call you a dumbass first you cannot call me one.

I am not sure how to state this but...
Ever since Regan Republicans have been projecting their own problems onto the dems.
Like a kid, if I call you a dumbass first you cannot call me one.

Oh yeah. And unelected Republicans too. I have learned that as soon as they accuse you of something that makes you think "huh? what are they talking about, I neve thought that, I never did that". That's when it's time to read it twice. They are telling you about themselves.

Standard Con Response:

"But, NO ONE could ever have predicted how incompetent and out of his league Bush is!"

uhhh, yeah, it was predicted.

Back