Captive: Held by the Taliban

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/world/asia/18hostage.html?_r=1

By DAVID ROHDE
Published: October 17, 2009

THE car’s engine roared as the gunman punched the accelerator and we crossed into the open Afghan desert. I was seated in the back between two Afghan colleagues who were accompanying me on a reporting trip when armed men surrounded our car and took us hostage.

Another gunman in the passenger seat turned and stared at us as he gripped his Kalashnikov rifle. No one spoke. I glanced at the bleak landscape outside — reddish soil and black boulders as far as the eye could see — and feared we would be dead within minutes.

It was last Nov. 10, and I had been headed to a meeting with a Taliban commander along with an Afghan journalist, Tahir Luddin, and our driver, Asad Mangal. The commander had invited us to interview him outside Kabul for reporting I was pursuing about Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The longer I looked at the gunman in the passenger seat, the more nervous I became. His face showed little emotion. His eyes were dark, flat and lifeless.

I thought of my wife and family and was overcome with shame. An interview that seemed crucial hours earlier now seemed absurd and reckless. I had risked the lives of Tahir and Asad — as well as my own life. We reached a dry riverbed and the car stopped. “They’re going to kill us,” Tahir whispered. “They’re going to kill us.”

Much more at link...

Very good article. thanks for the link
Yah, I notice that when the article is good there's nobody coming into the thread to tell me what a "hack" I am...

I just thought I'd point out that I post articles that I find interesting or think will charge a good discussion, sometimes they lean right, sometimes they are like this one and just good, and sometimes they lean left. It's only on the "lean right" articles that I seem to get hassled...

Anyway, his early epiphany about the Taliban no longer just being Afghanistan-centralized and working towards a much larger and more dangerous goal was eye-opening for me as well.

As a reporter for the NY Times he is also more likely to be a lefty and when you read his article and discover that a lefty is reporting that the Taliban really is the enemy and more likely than not a crazy enemy not willing to negotiate, but merely to fight till he or the other guy is dead you see the imperitive in defeating them. They are oppressive and brutal and have little or no compassion even for their own people. They merely want brutal control and to become wealthy by stealing from those they kill.

Back