"Cypress you motherfucking whore!"
Works of mercy and piety, Catholic vs. Methodist

Corporal works of mercy - Catholicism:
To feed the hungry.
To give water to the thirsty.
To clothe the naked.
To shelter the homeless.
To visit the sick.
To visit the imprisoned, or ransom the captive.
To bury the dead.

Spiritual works of mercy - Catholicism:
To instruct the ignorant.
To counsel the doubtful.
To admonish the sinners.
To bear patiently those who wrong us.
To forgive offenses.
To comfort the afflicted.
To pray for the living and the dead.

Works of Mercy - Methodism :
Doing Good
Visiting the Sick and Prisoners
Feeding and Clothing People
Earning, Saving, Giving All One Can
Opposition to Slavery

Works of Piety - Methodism
Prayer
Searching the Scriptures
Holy Communion
Fasting
Christian community
Healthy living

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_of_mercy

I always was little disappointed that my brother left our traditional family faith, and attended Methodist service.

But with more knowledge and education under my belt, if your going to align with the Protestant tradition the Methodists theologically are a pretty decent mainline Protestant denomination.

The only requirement for Heaven is the belief in Jesus and the Bible makes that very clear.

All the different faiths are merely different ways to build on that and people will choose what they like.

Some like Catholic ways and some like Methodist but as long as you believe in Jesus your religious practices are irrelevant

The only requirement for Heaven is the belief in Jesus and the Bible makes that very clear.

All the different faiths are merely different ways to build on that and people will choose what they like.

Some like Catholic ways and some like Methodist but as long as you believe in Jesus your religious practices are irrelevant

That's how foul mouthed, belligerent Christian posuers on message boards rationalize their subhuman behavior.

Neither Saint Paul, Martin Luther, or John Calvin said you can be as amoral, hateful, and belligerent as you want, as long as you claim to have accepted Jesus.

Words are easy and cheap to say. If your acceptance of the saving grace of Jesus is actually heartfelt and genuine, then the way you naturally conduct yourself as a human being should reflect that, and your life trajectory should be an emulation of the moral example of Jesus.

That's how foul mouthed, belligerent Christian posuers on message boards rationalize their subhuman behavior.

Neither Saint Paul, Martin Luther, or John Calvin said you can be as amoral, hateful, and belligerent as you want, as long as you claim to have accepted Jesus.

Words are easy and cheap to say. If your acceptance of the saving grace of Jesus is actually heartfelt and genuine, then the way you naturally conduct yourself as a human being should reflect that, and your life trajectory should be an emulation of the moral example of Jesus.

If you are not living a Christian life then you never sincerely accepted Jesus and are not saved.

Of course we all mess up but you need to be trying to live a moral life. You can’t accept Jesus and just keep living your life in sin.

The Bible doesn't make anything perfectly clear that one does not already believe is perfectly clear. I am an atheist, therefore nothing in the Bible is perfectly clear ... *EXCEPT* ...

* during the great flood, the water prevailed 15 cubits
* the window on the ark was one cubit.

... beyond that, I just go with whatever gfm7175 says it means.

All the different faiths are merely different views insisting that the Bible is "very clear" on their particular view.

If you are not living a Christian life then you never sincerely accepted Jesus and are not saved.

Of course we all mess up but you need to be trying to live a moral life. You can’t accept Jesus and just keep living your life in sin.

The Christian understanding is that Jesus, the one they believe to be the messiah, died for the sins of all humanity. In this view, the messiah is supposed to be the blood sacrifice necessary for the forgiveness of sin; in other words, a human sacrifice. However, not only is this concept of the messiah not found in our Bible, but we are also taught quite clearly and consistently that no one can die for the sins of another, that one person’s guilt cannot be forgiven because of another person’s death. In Exodus 32:30-35, Moses tries to offer himself as an atonement for the sins of the People, by being written ‘out of Thy book which Thou has written.’ To be written out of Gd’s book means to be written out of the Book of Life; therefore Moses is asking to die for the sins of the People. Gd’s response is that it does not work that way, each man dies for his own sin:

This is why we Jews do not believe there was any redemptive power at all in Jesus’ death. Such a belief is unbiblical; it has no basis in the sacred text and no justification in Jewish theology. This doctrine can be seen as an invention for the sake of post-event rationalization, in other words, to give meaning and purpose to the crucifixion after the fact.

Judaism does not see human nature as irrevocably tainted by some sort of original sin, while for the conman Paul, Adam's act released a power into the world by which sin and death became the natural lot of mankind. Early Christianity had no specific doctrine of original sin prior to the 4th century.

Saint Augustine (354-430) was the first theologian to teach that man is born into this world in a state of sin. The basis of his belief is from the Bible (Genesis 3:17-19) where Adam is described as having disobeyed G-d by eating the forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge in the Garden of Eden. This, the first sin of man, became known as original sin.

Many Christians today, particularly members of the Anglican, Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, and Presbyterian Churches, subscribe to this belief. They maintain that the sin of Adam was transferred to all future generations, tainting even the unborn. Substantiation for this view is found in the xtian bible (Romans 5:12) where Paul says, "Wherefore as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. By one man's disobediance many were made sinners."

Christianity believes that only through the acceptance of Jesus that the "grace" of G-d can return to man. A Christian need only believe in Jesus to be saved; nothing else is required of her.

Last edited:
The Christian understanding is that Jesus, the one they believe to be the messiah, died for the sins of all humanity. In this view, the messiah is supposed to be the blood sacrifice necessary for the forgiveness of sin; in other words, a human sacrifice. However, not only is this concept of the messiah not found in our Bible, but we are also taught quite clearly and consistently that no one can die for the sins of another, that one person’s guilt cannot be forgiven because of another person’s death. In Exodus 32:30-35, Moses tries to offer himself as an atonement for the sins of the People, by being written ‘out of Thy book which Thou has written.’ To be written out of Gd’s book means to be written out of the Book of Life; therefore Moses is asking to die for the sins of the People. Gd’s response is that it does not work that way, each man dies for his own sin:

This is why we Jews do not believe there was any redemptive power at all in Jesus’ death. Such a belief is unbiblical; it has no basis in the sacred text and no justification in Jewish theology. This doctrine can be seen as an invention for the sake of post-event rationalization, in other words, to give meaning and purpose to the crucifixion after the fact.

So, Jews are not Christians. This is news to you?!

I always was little disappointed that my brother left our traditional family faith, and attended Methodist service.

But with more knowledge and education under my belt, if your going to align with the Protestant tradition the Methodists theologically are a pretty decent mainline Protestant denomination.
Why do Catholics pull dead bodies out and parade them around?

Why do Catholics pull dead bodies out and parade them around?

Unless you are talking about the relics of the saints, I have no idea what you're talking about; I'm not Catholic.

I just wanted to write down a list of Christian ethics that very few self professed christians on this forum actually practice in RL

I don’t believe you’ve ever written anything more accurate.

Unless you are talking about the relics of the saints, I have no idea what you're talking about; I'm not Catholic.

I just wanted to write down a list of Christian ethics that very few self professed christians on this forum actually practice in RL

Prove they don't practice them

What moral example doss your "life trajectory" reflect?

. However, not only is this concept of the messiah not found in our Bible,
Too funny! guno doesn't even know what the Bible teaches. I'm guessing that he has never read it.

1. Yes, the Old Testament clearly covers the concept of sacrifice
2. Yes, the Old Testament clearly stipulates that the Messiah has not yet arrived
ERGO: Yes, the Old Testament lays the groundwork for a Messiah/Emmanuel/Immanuel who is to come and is totally open to Him sacrificing himself.

For those who are reading this, I recommend discussing this with gfm7175. He has actually read the Bible, cover to cover, both Testaments, many times. Get the straight scoop.

..but we are also taught quite clearly and consistently that no one can die for the sins of another,
Too funny! The Bible never makes any mention of this. Yet guno nonetheless insists that it is "taught quite clearly and consistently". I'm thinking that guno has never read the Bible.

guno, grab a copy and crack the cover. You might be intrigued at what's actually written in there. Better yet, you should confer with gfm7175 on these matters. He's an expert and his rates are competitive.

. In Exodus 32:30-35, Moses tries to offer himself as an atonement for the sins of the People, by being written ‘out of Thy book which Thou has written.’
God didn't need Moses' death. The punishment was that Moses would not enter the promised land. That was sufficient.

The rest of the post is irrelevant and erroneous. I'll wait for gfm7175's comments.

I was raised as one of them--
albeit only on a wedding and funeral level--
but don't know much about either of them.

My bad.

Back