Challenging Balls and Strikes

leaningright

conservative democrat
Staff member
I’m an older fellow and was not for instant replay challenge when it hit MLB. After watching more games this summer than I have in a long time I am ready to expand upon it. While I’m not ready for the electronic strike zone to take over completely I am ready for managers to be able to challenge the home plate ump.

At least two challenges of a called ball or strike during the course of a game, and if correct the team retains the challenge. Make those calls accountable somehow.

I’ve seen too many rallies ended on strike calls 6 inches off the plate and too many extended on called balls of obvious strikes.

The minor leagues are using electronic balls and strikes. It seems to be working quite well. The computer adjusts the strike zone for every batter. it makes the calls and relays them to the Ump who says it. I see no problems.

The minor leagues are using electronic balls and strikes. It seems to be working quite well. The computer adjusts the strike zone for every batter. it makes the calls and relays them to the Ump who says it. I see no problems.

Yep, I've seen a number of Triple A games. There are challenges to the umpires call, so I'm not clear on how that works, I thought the umpire was still calling them but there is also an electronic device that they use when a challenge occurs. The response is immediate. Anyway, I think it's a good system.

Maybe we can get robots to replace the players!

I’m an older fellow and was not for instant replay challenge when it hit MLB. After watching more games this summer than I have in a long time I am ready to expand upon it. While I’m not ready for the electronic strike zone to take over completely I am ready for managers to be able to challenge the home plate ump.

At least two challenges of a called ball or strike during the course of a game, and if correct the team retains the challenge. Make those calls accountable somehow.

I’ve seen too many rallies ended on strike calls 6 inches off the plate and too many extended on called balls of obvious strikes.

It seems to me that things like instant replay and challenging calls is intended for one purpose only and thats to appease people who whine when they lose. First of all it's a fucking game and we should be enjoying it but the people who lose cant accept it so they have to whine about how unfair it was that they lost "bad call" so everything's has to change to appease them. Sad.

I must say though I do like the new pitch clock more than I thought I would. Now we dont have to suffer through the Nomar Garciaparra dance or some variation thereof very fucking time a better steps in the box or the pitcher waving off every sign or strolling around the mound.

Bad calls have always been part of the game, they happen. The electronic strike zone and the pitch clock to me seem to be solutions in search of a problem. It may sound like I'm contradicting myself here but I'm not. The team that gets hosed on a bad strike probably benefited earlier in the game from another bad call. It evens out in the end, there are several bad calls in every single game. All an electronic strike zone will do is punish good pitchers who paint the black because this isn't really about the obvious bad calls, sooner or later managers will start challenging the really close pitches late in the game.

Back