Cheney's false comment on oil drilling attacked

uscitizen

Villified User
Cheney's false comment on oil drilling attacked

Jun 13, 1:15 AM (ET)

By H. JOSEF HEBERT

WASHINGTON (AP) - Vice President Dick Cheney's office acknowledged on Thursday that he was mistaken when he asserted that China, at Cuba's behest, is drilling for oil in waters 60 miles from the Florida coast.

In a speech to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Cheney said on Wednesday that waters in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, long off limits to oil companies, should be opened to drilling because China is already there pumping oil.

"Oil is being drilled right now 60 miles off the coast of Florida," the vice president said. "We're not doing it, the Chinese are, in cooperation with the Cuban government. Even the communists have figured out that a good answer to high prices is more supply."

He cited his source as columnist George Will, who last week wrote: "Drilling is under way 60 miles off Florida. The drilling is being done by China, in cooperation with Cuba, which is drilling closer to South Florida than U.S. companies are."

Congressional Democrats pounced on the vice president's remarks and were backed up by independent energy experts, who called the assertion hyperbole at best and a falsehood at worst.

Cheney's office said in a statement to The Associated Press that the vice president had erred.

"It is our understanding that, although Cuba has leased out exploration blocks 60 miles off the coast of southern Florida, which is closer than American firms are allowed to operate in that area, no Chinese firm is drilling there," according to the statement.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080613/D91906B80.html

He cited his source as columnist George Will, who last week wrote: "Drilling is under way 60 miles off Florida. The drilling is being done by China, in cooperation with Cuba, which is drilling closer to South Florida than U.S. companies are."

This is standard Con operating procedure. Stuporfreak does this all the time. Citing some opinion article by some Con, as empirical evidence, without checking the facts.

This is standard Con operating procedure. Stuporfreak does this all the time. Citing some opinion article by some Con, as empirical evidence, without checking the facts.

Superfreak actually argued that Cheney didn't mean that China was actually drilling in the Gulf of Mexico right now, just that they were prepared to drill at some point in the future.

Here's the thread:

China is Drilling for Oil in the GUlf Of Mexico !!!11!!SHIFTONE - Just Plain Politics!

Here's my favorite:

Originally Posted by Dungheap

Apparently you never learned the difference in verb tenses. Either that or your stupid. Or maybe you're just out of your fucking mind.

If I told you Damo is f*cking your sister, it doesn't mean that he's got a c*ck and your sister a vagina and that he's planning to f*ck her two years from now.

Such a childish rant is solid evidence that your position was nothing more than an attempt at "gotcha" word games. The drilling process involves exploration. They go hand in hand. It is precisely what everyone was referring to when they made statements that "China is drilling". But you want to play a "verb tense" game because you think that somehow makes you clever. Anyone who understands the oil industry knew exactly what people were referring to you twit.

My favorite part is where he tries to ridicule me for not "understanding the oil industry." Apparently, the old oil man Dick Cheney knows little of the industry as well. But not Superfreak, he's a regular T. Boone Pickens.

Superfreak actually argued that Cheney didn't mean that China was actually drilling in the Gulf of Mexico right now, just that they were prepared to drill at some point in the future.

Here's the thread:

http://justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?t=11854

Here's my favorite:

My favorite part is where he tries to ridicule me for not "understanding the oil industry." Apparently, the old oil man Dick Cheney knows little of the industry as well. But not Superfreak, he's a regular T. Boone Pickens.

For Christ Sakes. I missed this one. He is such a freaking tool.

I want to thank you false outrage turbo-libs for driving the oil price from $30 to $130.

It's a precious resource.

no my fellow turobo-lib false outrage poser greenies have limited supply and jacked that price up to almost a fair amount.

and the Iraq war has not impacted the price of oil at all ?
Nor has specualtion ?

btw topper didn't you show your ass on the other thread on this topic as well ?

Here's the thread:

http://justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?t=11854

Here's my favorite:

Classic. Arguing about verb tense. Even Cheney admitted he was wrong. But, not superfreak.

Honestly, superfreak voted for bush twice, thought the iraq war was a great idea, and defended bushonomics. He's never right about anything. I would trust Desh and USC's opinion in a heartbeat over stuperfreak. They're almost always right, and he's almost always wrong. I wouldn't take anything he says for granted.

turbo-lib false outrage morons, what will your answer be when they do start drilling???
THey don't lease and do seismic to not drill!!!

Back