Clinton ally Eliot Spitzer in sex scandal

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
11_hillspitz_lg.jpg

Clinton ally Eliot Spitzer in sex scandal
PRESSURE TO RESIGN: The New York governor, who was a crusader against corruption as the state's attorney general, is one of the presidential hopeful's key superdelegates

AGENCIES, SCRANTON, Pennsylvania And New Yourk
Wednesday, Mar 12, 2008, Page 7

US Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton sidestepped questions on Monday about the sex scandal engulfing Eliot Spitzer, her home state governor and political ally.

"I don't have any comment on that. Obviously I am sending my best wishes and thoughts to the governor and to his family," Clinton said, opening her first campaign swing through Pennsylvania, which holds its presidential primary on April 22.

Spitzer apologized on Monday after he was accused of paying for sex with a call girl. Authorities say he was caught on a federal wiretap arranging a tryst with the woman at a Washington hotel room.

It was a blow to Clinton, who recently intensified her criticism of rival Barack Obama's relationship with Antoin Rezko, a political patron on trial in federal court in Obama's hometown of Chicago for alleged fraud and corruption.

While not personally close, Clinton and Spitzer have been friendly colleagues ever since the former first lady first ran for a US Senate in New York in 2000.

Her aides said Clinton deeply respected Spitzer's work during his two terms as state attorney general, during which he became a national crusader against corporate corruption and Wall Street investment excesses.

Spitzer faced pressure to resign yesterday as well as questions about whether he would be prosecuted.

A New York Times report said he hired a US$1,000-an-hour prostitute and was caught on a wiretap at least six times on Feb. 12 and Feb. 13 arranging to meet her.

Spitzer, a married 48-year-old who investigated prostitution as attorney general, apologized for what he described as a "private matter," but said nothing about resigning.

He neither confirmed nor denied the report.

Spitzer was slow to endorse Clinton's White House bid and has not been among her more forceful surrogates. But he is one of her all-important superdelegates, elected officials and party leaders who could play a decisive role in determining who becomes the presidential nominee.

If Spitzer resigns, he would not be replaced as a superdelegate, meaning Clinton would lose one, according to the Democratic National Committee. Lieutenant Governor David Paterson would become governor and he is already a superdelegate supporting Clinton.

Clinton declined to say whether she believed Spitzer could survive the scandal.

The New York Times said in an editorial that Spitzer's insistence it was a "private matter" displayed arrogance.

"He did not just betray his family in a private matter. He betrayed the public and it is hard to see how he will recover from this mess and go on to lead the reformist agenda on which he was elected to office," the paper said.

News of the scandal rocked Wall Street, where brokers resented Spitzer's high-profile inquiries into financial cases when he was the state's chief prosecutor.

The Wall Street Journal said Spitzer had shown his lack of restraint in overly aggressive tactics as attorney general, making "extraordinary threats" to entire firms and to those who criticized his pursuit of high-profile Wall Street figures.

"The stupendously deluded belief that the sitting Governor of New York could purchase the services of prostitutes was merely the last act of a man unable to admit either the existence of, or need for, limits," the Journal wrote in an editorial about what it said was almost a Shakespearean fall.

"Governor Spitzer, who made his career by specializing in not just the prosecution, but the ruin, of other men, is himself almost certainly ruined," the paper said.

Indirectly, Spitzer caused Clinton a significant political headache late last year when he proposed a plan to provide illegal immigrants with drivers' licenses.

During a debate, Clinton tripped over a question about whether she supported the proposal, prompting criticism that she was being evasive.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2008/03/12/2003405182

Last edited:
hillary's always hanging with the scandals huh? shed have prob made this guy part of her cabinet.

LOL

thats the plan. This will unavoidably bring lots of memories of bill Clinton not stepping down during his sex scandal

You fucks are desperate aren't you?

And SF, after his stalwart defense of McCain in light of McCain's own personal relationship with a female lobbyist, wears the hypocrisy badge proudly.

And SF, after his stalwart defense of McCain in light of McCain's own personal relationship with a female lobbyist, wears the hypocrisy badge proudly.

The Spitzer story isn't going to change how I feel about Hillary one way or the other.

But I don't see how a NY Times story trying to imply McCain had a relationship with this chick is similar to Spitzers?

Tell me Dung.... other than the two anonymous aides "suspecting" a relationship... just what do you have that suggests there was ANY type of sexual relationship?

Oh thats right... you are going to equate Spitzer paying a prositute and breaking the law to a couple former aides suspecting a potential sexual relationship that BOTH parties denied ever took place.

Gotcha.... you are OBVIOUSLY correct. Those are the same thing.

Didn't Hillary's buddy spritzer want to give drivers licenses to illegal immigrants? she prob does as well. LOL

Oct. 30 Democratic debate transcript

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania presidential candidate forum at Drexel

Senator Clinton, Governor of New York Eliot Spitzer has proposed giving driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants. He told the Nashua, New Hampshire, Editorial Board it makes a lot of sense.

Why does it make a lot of sense to give an illegal immigrant a driver’s license?

Clinton: Well, what Governor Spitzer is trying to do is fill the vacuum left by the failure of this administration to bring about comprehensive immigration reform. We know in New York we have several million at any one time who are in New York illegally. They are undocumented workers. They are driving on our roads. The possibility of them having an accident that harms themselves or others is just a matter of the odds. It’s probability.

So what Governor Spitzer is trying to do is to fill the vacuum. I believe we need to get back to comprehensive immigration reform because no state, no matter how well intentioned, can fill this gap. There needs to be federal action on immigration reform.

Russert: Does anyone here believe an illegal immigrant should not have a driver’s license?

(Unknown): Believe what?

Russert: An illegal immigrant should not have a driver’s license.

Dodd: This is a privilege. And, look, I’m as forthright and progressive on immigration policy as anyone here. But we’re dealing with a serious problem here, we need to have people come forward. The idea that we’re going to extend this privilege here of a driver’s license I think is troublesome, and I think the American people are reacting to it.

We need to deal with security on our borders. We need to deal with the attraction that draws people here. We need to deal fairly with those who are here.

But this is a privilege. Talk about health care, I have a different opinion. That affects the public health of all of us.

But a license is a privilege, and that ought not to be extended, in my view.

Clinton: Well, I just want to add, I did not say that it should be done, but I certainly recognize why Governor Spitzer is trying to do…

(Unknown): Wait a minute…

Clinton: And we have failed. We have failed.

Dodd: No, no, no. You said — you said yes…

Clinton: No.

Dodd: … you thought it made sense to do it.

Clinton: No, I didn’t, Chris. But the point is, what are we going to do with all these illegal immigrants who are driving…

Dodd: That’s a legitimate issue. But driver’s license goes too far, in my view.

Clinton: Well, you may say that, but what is the identification?

If somebody runs into you today who is an undocumented worker…

Dodd: There’s ways of dealing with that.

Clinton: Well…

Dodd: This is a privilege, not a right.

Clinton: Well, what Governor Spitzer has agreed to do is to have three different licenses, one that provides identification for actually going onto airplanes and other kinds of security issues, another which is another ordinary driver’s license, and then a special card that identifies the people who would be on the road, so…

Dodd: That’s a bureaucratic nightmare.

Clinton: … it’s not the full privilege.

Russert: Senator Clinton, I just want to make sure of what I heard. Do you, the New York senator, Hillary Clinton, support the New York governor’s plan to give illegal immigrants a driver’s license?

You told the New Hampshire paper that it made a lot of sense. Do you support his plan?

Clinton: You know, Tim, this is where everybody plays “gotcha.” It makes a lot of sense. What is the governor supposed to do? He is dealing with a serious problems. We have failed. And George Bush has failed. Do I think this is the best thing for any governor to do? No. But do I understand the sense of real desperation, trying to get a handle on this? Remember, in New York, we want to know who’s in New York. We want people to come out of the shadows.

He’s making an honest effort to do it. We should have passed immigration reform…

Edwards: … I want to add something that Chris Dodd just said a minute ago, because I don’t want it to go unnoticed. Unless I missed something, Senator Clinton said two different things in the course of about two minutes just a few minutes ago.

And I think this is a real issue for the country. I mean, America is looking for a president who will say the same thing, who will be consistent, who will be straight with them. Because what we’ve had for seven years is double-talk from Bush and from Cheney, and I think America deserves us to be straight…

Back