Clinton takes in 31.3 mil in.... Kazakhstan?

Little-Acorn

No, not that Clinton. But a very close relative, who might conceivably have some sway over the "other" Clinton's decision, should they wind up in the White House.

Federal law prohibits contributions by foreigners to the campaign of someone running for U.S. federal office. The "contributions" described here, do not fall under those laws, because this particular Clinton isn't running for any office, despite what he once said about voters getting a "2-for-1 deal" with their Presidential vote.

But the laws are there for the purpose of ensuring that there is no foreign influence exerted on decisions made in the White House and other Federal offices. These "contributions" don't violate the letter of the law. But do they keep within its spirit?

-----------------------------------

http://opinionjournal.com

Exceprpt from "Best of the Web"
by James Taranto

Man Without a Party

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/us/politics/31donor.html?pagewanted=all

The New York Times uncovers a scandal involving a former president:

*** QUOTE ***

Late on Sept. 6, 2005, a private plane carrying the Canadian mining financier Frank Giustra touched down in Almaty, a ruggedly picturesque city in southeast Kazakhstan. Several hundred miles to the west a fortune awaited: highly coveted deposits of uranium that could fuel nuclear reactors around the world. And Mr. Giustra was in hot pursuit of an exclusive deal to tap them.

Unlike more established competitors, Mr. Giustra was a newcomer to uranium mining in Kazakhstan, a former Soviet republic. But what his fledgling company lacked in experience, it made up for in connections. Accompanying Mr. Giustra on his luxuriously appointed MD-87 jet that day was a former president of the United States, Bill Clinton.

Upon landing on the first stop of a three-country philanthropic tour, the two men were whisked off to share a sumptuous midnight banquet with Kazakhstan's president, Nursultan A. Nazarbayev, whose 19-year stranglehold on the country has all but quashed political dissent.

Mr. Nazarbayev walked away from the table with a propaganda coup, after Mr. Clinton expressed enthusiastic support for the Kazakh leader's bid to head an international organization that monitors elections and supports democracy. Mr. Clinton's public declaration undercut both American foreign policy and sharp criticism of Kazakhstan's poor human rights record by, among others, Mr. Clinton's wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

*** END QUOTE ***

Less than 48 hours later, Giustra's company signed a deal giving it the rights to buy into three Kazakh uranium projects. Months later, Giustra secretly donated $31.3 million to Mr. Clinton's charitable foundations.

BTW, to what party does this Bill Clinton, and his wife the senator, belong? In 2,800 words, the Times never tells us. That can mean only one thing: not Republican.

I'll be the first to admit that it is shady, but there is this other guy who is in the White House right now that has a close family member that is a former president and who is doing the same things that Clinton has done yet I haven't heard peep about it.

I'm just sayin.

I'd also add that the idea that there is something untoward about not saying that Bill Clinton is a Democrat is mouth-breathing-don't-drown-on-your-own-spit retarded.

I'll be the first to admit that it is shady, but there is this other guy who is in the White House right now that has a close family member that is a former president and who is doing the same things that Clinton has done yet I haven't heard peep about it.

I'm just sayin.

I haven't either what has he done?

but there is this other guy who is in the White House right now that has a close family member that is a former president and who is doing the same things that Clinton has done
Well?

Do tell, Dungheap!

A link or other reference would be handy, too.

Wow, this is a complete shock.... foreign money being funnelled to the Clintons.... who woulda thunk it. Never in a million years could we have seen this coming.

I'm just sayin.

I'd also add that the idea that there is something untoward about not saying that Bill Clinton is a Democrat is mouth-breathing-don't-drown-on-your-own-spit retarded.

spill it.... what did he do?

Back to the origional post.
I wish there was a similar law forbidding out of state money from going into state level campaigns.

They have made up so many scancals about the Clintons I think they are immune from it. Its like the guy at the snake show whos been biten by rattlers so many times his body has built up immunity and now when he is bit he does not even bother going to the Doctor.

Interesting that Little nut is digging up all kinds of stuff on clowntoon but not getting flack from the same ones that blast me for being a bush basher ;)

No, not that Clinton. But a very close relative, who might conceivably have some sway over the "other" Clinton's decision, should they wind up in the White House.

Federal law prohibits contributions by foreigners to the campaign of someone running for U.S. federal office. The "contributions" described here, do not fall under those laws, because this particular Clinton isn't running for any office, despite what he once said about voters getting a "2-for-1 deal" with their Presidential vote.

But the laws are there for the purpose of ensuring that there is no foreign influence exerted on decisions made in the White House and other Federal offices. These "contributions" don't violate the letter of the law. But do they keep within its spirit?

-----------------------------------

http://opinionjournal.com

Exceprpt from "Best of the Web"
by James Taranto

Man Without a Party

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/us/politics/31donor.html?pagewanted=all

The New York Times uncovers a scandal involving a former president:

*** QUOTE ***

Late on Sept. 6, 2005, a private plane carrying the Canadian mining financier Frank Giustra touched down in Almaty, a ruggedly picturesque city in southeast Kazakhstan. Several hundred miles to the west a fortune awaited: highly coveted deposits of uranium that could fuel nuclear reactors around the world. And Mr. Giustra was in hot pursuit of an exclusive deal to tap them.

Unlike more established competitors, Mr. Giustra was a newcomer to uranium mining in Kazakhstan, a former Soviet republic. But what his fledgling company lacked in experience, it made up for in connections. Accompanying Mr. Giustra on his luxuriously appointed MD-87 jet that day was a former president of the United States, Bill Clinton.

Upon landing on the first stop of a three-country philanthropic tour, the two men were whisked off to share a sumptuous midnight banquet with Kazakhstan's president, Nursultan A. Nazarbayev, whose 19-year stranglehold on the country has all but quashed political dissent.

Mr. Nazarbayev walked away from the table with a propaganda coup, after Mr. Clinton expressed enthusiastic support for the Kazakh leader's bid to head an international organization that monitors elections and supports democracy. Mr. Clinton's public declaration undercut both American foreign policy and sharp criticism of Kazakhstan's poor human rights record by, among others, Mr. Clinton's wife, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

*** END QUOTE ***

Less than 48 hours later, Giustra's company signed a deal giving it the rights to buy into three Kazakh uranium projects. Months later, Giustra secretly donated $31.3 million to Mr. Clinton's charitable foundations.

BTW, to what party does this Bill Clinton, and his wife the senator, belong? In 2,800 words, the Times never tells us. That can mean only one thing: not Republican.

Who cares?

Come back whenever you have some real news.

Who cares?

Come back whenever you have some real news.

I would say that questionable foreign contributions from a dictator would constitute "real news". I thought that when the Saudis were throwing money at the Bush family, too.

Whether this one is valid, I have no clue. Acorn was right about the NOW News Release, despite being mocked, so I'm inclined to think his source is legitimate here too. But I'm sure we'll check it thoroughly.

Back