Colorado man freed after cleared by DNA. No suprise he is suing.

Socrtease

Verified User
DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- The first person released from prison in Colorado because of DNA evidence is suing police and prosecutors who worked to put him behind bars.

Lawyers for Tim Masters filed suit in federal court Tuesday, claiming hundreds of documents and expert opinions that pointed toward his innocence in a murder case were withheld from his lawyers.

After 10 years behind bars, Masters was freed from prison in January because advanced DNA evidence failed to connect him to the death of Peggy Hettrick in Fort Collins.

Prosecutors alleged that Masters killed Hettrick in 1987 when he was 15. He was convicted 12 years later.

Fort Collins police and Larimer County prosecutors declined to comment, saying they don't discuss pending litigation.

In September, Colorado's Supreme Court censured two former prosecutors for failing to turn over information to Masters' attorneys.

The former prosecutors, who both are now judges, acknowledged in an agreement with the Supreme Court's Office of Attorney Regulation that they failed to ensure defense attorneys received several key pieces of information that called into question Masters' guilt.

The lawsuit says the withheld evidence included the existence of another suspect, who lived near the spot where Hettrick's body was found and was later charged with secretly videotaping women who used his bathroom.

The suit also says an FBI profiler disagreed with the opinion of the prosecution's star witness, criminal psychologist Reid Meloy, on Masters' violent teenage drawings.

According to the suit, Meloy now says that prosecutors "intentionally manipulated" his opinion by only giving him a portion of the evidence available and misrepresenting the physical evidence.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/22/tim.masters.sues.ap/index.html

Looks like he'll win because two guys who are now judges couldn't bear to do the right thing...

This is the ONLY way you prevail in a wrongful conviction suit. You have to prove that the Prosecutors withheld information in your case. He is lucky someone finally came forward. Both those judges should have been removed and disbarred.

This is the ONLY way you prevail in a wrongful conviction suit. You have to prove that the Prosecutors withheld information in your case. He is lucky someone finally came forward. Both those judges should have been removed and disbarred.
Yeah, but they were censured only.

You'd make a good judge, ever think about it?

You'd make a good judge, ever think about it?
Sometimes but since becoming a lawyer I have noticed that the lawyers that would make good judges can't kiss enough polical ass to get appointed when there is a vacancy, or supported by their party when they want to run in an election. I may throw my hat in the ring in a decade or so, it would make a good job to have in my golden years. The case load is heavy in my district but you don't do the same sort of work that lawyers do.

This is the ONLY way you prevail in a wrongful conviction suit. You have to prove that the Prosecutors withheld information in your case. He is lucky someone finally came forward. Both those judges should have been removed and disbarred and then shot.

fixed

but you don't do the same sort of work that lawyers do.

sitting on your ass making your assistant do all the leg work while you go out to dinner with clients and sneak in a few rounds of golf each week? Then have that assistant bill your clients for your 'hours' spent 'working' on the case?

:cool:

sitting on your ass making your assistant do all the leg work while you go out to dinner with clients and sneak in a few rounds of golf each week? Then have that assistant bill your clients for your 'hours' spent 'working' on the case?

:cool:
You have a camera in my office! But thanks for leaving out the part about me chasing the paralegal around her desk trying to get a kiss!

And if I ate dinner with all my clients most of my meals would take place in the county jail. Bond is a mutherfucker to get in this district.

You have a camera in my office! But thanks for leaving out the part about me chasing the paralegal around his desk trying to get a kiss!

1) Kind of pointless as we know your old ass couldn't catch him anyway

2) We all know the only chasing you really do is when you see those pretty boxes on wheels with the bright flashing lights go by....

1) Kind of pointless as we know your old ass couldn't catch him anyway

2) We all know the only chasing you really do is when you see those pretty boxes on wheels with the bright flashing lights go by....
:lmao::321: I don't do personal injury and my paralegal has a bad leg. She hurt it when she was a WAC back in Korea

Clearly, this proves that our justice system would be fairer if we took people out back and shot them in the head right after the trial.
True. He'd be dead and there would be no lawsuit to plague the police and prosecutor's offices...

And we all know they can all be trusted without any hesitation.

Back