Comparing the candidates on wasteful spending...

WRL

Well...the right is right
The Washington Post this week clearly laid out one of the key differences at stake in the coming general election. The Post reported, "Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton helped secure more than $340 million worth of earmarks, according to a new study by a nonpartisan budget watchdog group."

Barack Obama is no better; he requested and received over $91 million of our hard-earned tax dollars for his own special interests and earmarks. Obama has been criticized for using a 2006 earmark to secure money for the University of Chicago hospital where his wife worked until last year.

What's worse is that Senator Obama, who claims to be a candidate of "change," has refused to disclose the earmarks he requested prior to last year, when he started running for president. Washington needs change, but we will ever see it from someone who is part of the business as usual crowd in the Senate.

How many earmarks did John McCain request last year? Zero.

John McCain has been steadfast in his opposition to earmarks and wasteful spending in Washington. Throughout his entire career in the Senate, he has never requested an unauthorized earmark - a record in stark contrast to either of the potential democratic nominees.

Exactly. Why waste all that money on Washington?

Don't these people realise how expensive a hundred year occupation is?

Good lord willie.....you're such a partisan idiot. Hell I'm voting Democrat almost solely due to Republican fiscal ineptatude. I have found out the hard way that a tax and spend liberal is vastly superior to a cut taxes for the rich and spend way more Republican.

The upcoming election is critical for the Republicans if they don't want to become a regional party of southern right wingers and evengelicals. McCain absolutely has to discredit these extremist if the Republican party is to survive and thrive as national party. Now that he essentially has the nomination sown up the best thing McCain can do for the Republican party is drift the party back towards the center, discredit the right wing base and win the election based on the support of moderates and Independants. He has an uphill battle as the overwhelming majority of citizens of this nation are just plain fed up with the righ wingers or, as McCain properly called them, these agents of intolerance.

McCain has to discredt the wingnuts. If he does not do it, the Republican party will be a minority party for at least a generation or more. The Irony is, the party will blame him and not the individual responsible. Bush!

Moderate Republicanism is dead.

There are only 8 members of the house who didn't vote with their party more than 80% of the time last session, and two of those were recently defeated in primary, and Ron Paul is looking to get defeated too.

Good lord willie.....you're such a partisan idiot. Hell I'm voting Democrat almost solely due to Republican fiscal ineptatude. I have found out the hard way that a tax and spend liberal is vastly superior to a cut taxes for the rich and spend way more Republican.

The upcoming election is critical for the Republicans if they don't want to become a regional party of southern right wingers and evengelicals. McCain absolutely has to discredit these extremist if the Republican party is to survive and thrive as national party. Now that he essentially has the nomination sown up the best thing McCain can do for the Republican party is drift the party back towards the center, discredit the right wing base and win the election based on the support of moderates and Independants. He has an uphill battle as the overwhelming majority of citizens of this nation are just plain fed up with the righ wingers or, as McCain properly called them, these agents of intolerance.

McCain has to discredt the wingnuts. If he does not do it, the Republican party will be a minority party for at least a generation or more. The Irony is, the party will blame him and not the individual responsible. Bush!

Well that's your opinion, and to an extent I agree with you, the Republican party lost it's way on spending, and they paid the price at the polls however, I'm proud to support a candidate who didn't lose, or pretend his principles, but stood by them.

As the thread states, this election is going to come down to some core principles, and as much as this partisan warfare has us grabbing each others throats, we do need to at least realise how far out of control spending has gotten, and just what the long term repercussions of continuing down this fiscal disaster will yield.

That's because I don't. I agree with him on many issues, but on the most important, he's, pardon the pun, dead wrong.

You honestly believe this overhyped, historically miniscule conflict is the most important issue facing our country today?

While McCain may not have an earmark past, he has changed his positions on several issues since wanting to be the 09 president.

Obama may have earmarked but, it was for a hospital.

She's a lawyer, Dumbfuck. It would be quite a stretch to call it "employment", what she did at the university of Chicago medical center a decade ago. And of course, we all know, Obama's going to put his senatorial and presidential career on the line to line the pockets of his wifes decade ago "employer", whom he probably doesn't know or care about, at no personal gain to himself.

Try to make up better conspiracies in the future, K?

Last edited:
lol, whatever you say, she was working for them, but not 'employed' by them, ok.

Moderate Republicanism is dead.

There are only 8 members of the house who didn't vote with their party more than 80% of the time last session, and two of those were recently defeated in primary, and Ron Paul is looking to get defeated too.

I know exactly what you mean. I was a Republican for 24 years until the wingnuts took over control of the party and made it perfectly clear that there is absolutely no room for moderates in the Republican party. As Reagan said about the democrats. I didn't leave the Republican party, it left me.

That's because I don't. I agree with him on many issues, but on the most important, he's, pardon the pun, dead wrong.

Is he? The war in Iraq is immoral and unconscionable. Ron Paul is right on Iraq. Those who lied to this nation to go to war in Iraq should be treated as the criminals that they are.

Back