Conservatives and anti-intellectualism

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
Anyone else not surprised that almost every totalitarian movement of the 20th century was backed by a wave of nativism and anti-intellectualism? The Khmer Rouge actually shot people for wearing glasses.

In a simialar way, our modern conservatives act. They oppose any effort to think of a situation in depth. Conservative commentors actually cut peoples mics and throw them off set because intellectual arguments are too complex for them to handle, and justify this with some sort of non-sensical ad hominem attack. It's a dangerous age whenever someone can be attacked simply for knowing more than someone else.

Last edited:
Anyone else not surprised that almost every totalitarian movement of the 20th century was back by a wave of nativism and anti-intellectualism? The Khmer Rouge actually shot people for wearing glasses.

In a simialar way, our modern conservatives act. They oppose any effort to think of a situation in depth. Conservative commentors actually cut peoples mics and throw them off set because they're arguments are too complex for them to handle, and justify this by saying they were "an egghead" or something.

It just goes to show you who the modern descendants of such movements are.

Except international communism.

Selling out americans for profit is not deep, it's being an asshole.

Anyone else not surprised that almost every totalitarian movement of the 20th century was back by a wave of nativism and anti-intellectualism? The Khmer Rouge actually shot people for wearing glasses.

In a simialar way, our modern conservatives act. They oppose any effort to think of a situation in depth. Conservative commentors actually cut peoples mics and throw them off set because they're arguments are too complex for them to handle, and justify this with some sort of non-sensical ad hominem argument. It's a dangerous age whenever someone can be attacked simply for knowing more than someone else.

That dam Gore, he is too smart, Ill vote Bush. Id rather have a beer with him!

Why does free trade suddenly become communism because it extends across a sand in the line?

It doesn't become communism. It's just a disservice to americans to outsource their jobs based on misguided notions of "the inevitable path of humanity".

Anyone else not surprised that almost every totalitarian movement of the 20th century was backed by a wave of nativism and anti-intellectualism? The Khmer Rouge actually shot people for wearing glasses.

In a simialar way, our modern conservatives act. They oppose any effort to think of a situation in depth. Conservative commentors actually cut peoples mics and throw them off set because intellectual arguments are too complex for them to handle, and justify this with some sort of non-sensical ad hominem attack. It's a dangerous age whenever someone can be attacked simply for knowing more than someone else.

Any examples?

I had a friend from China, he told me that he would get beat and taken to jail were he seen by the wrong people waring glasses or reading a book. He had an advanced degree in engeneering but was sent to work as a farm hand.

I had a friend from China, he told me that he would get beat and taken to jail were he seen by the wrong people waring glasses or reading a book. He had an advanced degree in engeneering but was sent to work as a farm hand.

More millionaires than ever!

I bet he regrets moving to Mississippi now.

There does appear a relationship to anti-intellectualism and the conservative movement.

It's spread all over the world stage today.

They do not want things to change. Smart and well educated people can see the wisdom of a timely change.

Remember WRL complaining about conservative talk hosts ragging on McCain?

The only insult he could think up, or know, was to call them "intellectuals". This was idiotic. They clearly aren't intellectuals. It's an insult to the human race to call Rush Limbaugh an intellectual. However, the thought process that was involved typify's anti-intellectual conservatism.

Last edited:

Chinese communism in particular was harsh on intellectualism. Cambodia was also far more extreme than even what was practiced in China. Cambodia's entire purge was committed ONLY against people it considered to intellectual - 3 million of a nations most educated men and women, killed. Not surprisingly, their economy collapsed, as there were no architects to build buildings, no irrigation engineers to build irrigation for the farmers to make their crops. Like I said - even wearing glasses could get you shot.

Soviet communism was more tolerant of intellectuals. However, they reformed the education system, and paid factory workers more than engineers. Not surprisingly, they started to have shortages of engineers. Why would you go through years of strenous education to become an engineer whenever you could get paid more for being a factory worker?

Hitler hated intellectuals, because they never fell for his nationalist nonsense.

In America, the conservative movement uses "intellectual" as an insult. How can you do that? What rational person could honestly deride someone because you think they know too much?

Back