Cousin vs second cousin. Great vs grand. Aunt vs Ant.

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
Just to clear things up for all you that tend to get confused on what the proper terms are: For those of us that have built there family trees its very frustrating when people call every relative the same title regardless of if they are seconds, thirds, removed.. etc.

first cousin
Your first cousins are the people in your family who have two of the same grandparents as you. In other words, they are the children of your aunts and uncles.

Second Cousin
Your second cousins are the people in your family who have the same great-grandparents as you., but not the same grandparents.

Third, Fourth, and Fifth Cousins

Your third cousins have the same great-great-grandparents, fourth cousins have the same great-great-great-grandparents, and so on.

Removed
When the word "removed" is used to describe a relationship, it indicates that the two people are from different generations. You and your first cousins are in the same generation (two generations younger than your grandparents), so the word "removed" is not used to describe your relationship.

The words "once removed" mean that there is a difference of one generation. For example, your mother's first cousin is your first cousin, once removed. This is because your mother's first cousin is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents. This one-generation difference equals "once removed."

Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. You are two generations younger than a first cousin of your grandmother, so you and your grandmother's first cousin are first cousins, twice removed.

Here is a helpful chart:
relationship_chart.gif

Ohh Removed is not the same as disowned ?
Once removed is not just one branch disowning them , but not the other branch ?
:D

There can be 25 yrs difference in age among siblings.
I know, believe me I was an Uncle at the time of my birth. In general terms 20 years is considered a "generation". Hence the description of "of a different generation" warranted the question.

but if he shares the same 2 grandparents then hes your first.
Yes, but would he be "once removed"? You said that different generations make them once removed. A generation is generally considered to be 20 years...

If such I have a brother who is "once removed".

If your grandpa marries a lady and she adopts your Dad and then grandpa dies and you marry her maybe so.

Well, chap, we're not elitist-chardonnay drinking limosine libertarians like you. We say cousin for everything and we're sticking with it. None of this "twice removed" bull$hit. Or "2nd" or "3rd" cousins BS. Its "cuzzins". And you should stop trying to force all your learnedd stuffs onto us.

Yes, but would he be "once removed"? You said that different generations make them once removed. A generation is generally considered to be 20 years...

If such I have a brother who is "once removed".

I was under the impression that once removed had nothing ot do with age but rather who you were born to.

Well, chap, we're not elitist-chardonnay drinking limosine libertarians like you. We say cousin for everything and we're sticking with it. None of this "twice removed" bull$hit. Or "2nd" or "3rd" cousins BS. Its "cuzzins". And you should stop trying to force all your learnedd stuffs onto us.

well if you ever try to create a family tree you will get so annoyed with people calling their 3rd cousins twice removed... My Cuzin jimmy.

Family trees do not matter much once you get past the living members. Unless you name is rockefeller or bush or something, then it gets you an easy ride.

Back