Current set of Headlines on the Foley Scandal As it Wends Its Way Along

Prakosh

NRCC Chair’s Chief Of Staff Resigns Over Whether “Supressed Information About Foley Emails”…Fmr. Page: GOP Staffers “Have Known For Over 11 Years About What Was Going On And Chose To Do Nothing"…Novak: NRCC Chair Reynolds Talked Foley Into Running For Reelection After He Knew About Emails……Boehner: Losing Foley’s Seat Is A Foregone Conclusion… Foley’s IMs Contradict His Lawyer’s Statement That He Didn’t Have Sexual Contact With Boys, Offer Alcohol…Hastert Can't Get Story Straight: Tells Rush Limbaugh He Asked Foley To Resign, Tells Reporter He Didn't…New IMs: Foley Had Cyber-Sex While Awaiting House Vote... Rep. King: Foley’s Alcoholism “A Gimmick”…

I would say at this point that what Democrats did in the last 40-50 years really isn't going to matter much to anyone except diehard Republicans given all this...

You are very right. Too right, one might even say -- if one weren't busy chortling through his leftover chicken, pesto and roasted pepper pizza.

Rightly or wrongly, this is going to hurt the Republicans badly come November. Just how badly remains to be seen, but the overall conclusion is foregone. Their own base does them dirt here because that base is sickly obsessed with all matters sexual. And they don't like gays, by and large. Really don't like them.

Here's an article from today's edition of that hot bed of crackpot liberalism, the Wall Street Journal editorial pages:
The damage was evident in a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, showing that, by 41% to 18%, Americans say that news they "have seen and heard over the past few weeks" has made them less favorable toward continued Republican control of Congress. By 34%-23% they called themselves more favorably inclined toward Democratic control. The survey, conducted last weekend, also shows a decline in Mr. Bush's job-approval rating to 39% from 42% earlier this month.
http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...EQ9IO9mRrk_20061102.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

I've stated from the beginning that this is bad for the Rs, but that I still believe that we need to land on all involved, nefariously, with both feet.

I'm going on the record to say that, unless I see proof otherwise, I don't think Haster and the Leadership deliberately and maliciously covered for a known child predator.

I think its more three-dimentional than that. Hastert is buddies and chummy with all these republicans in congress. There could be a good deal of simply incompetence here. You're more likely to cut your buddy slack, and not investigate him, becasue he's your buddy. Not because you think a crime happenedn.

That's not an excuse. Hastert fucked up. Instead of handling it like you would for a buddy, Hastert should have informed all the members of the Page board, and taken it way more seriously.

Back