Cut the budget

It's not about just "cutting programs," and it doesn't have to be about cutting programs. There is an incredible amount of waste in our bureacracy, and ways to make our gov't work more efficiently.

Social Security is genuinely killing our budget, and will only get worse & worse as time goes on the way it is now structured. Bush tried to do something, but it failed, so of course, now no one is even talking about it. This is how it goes in America. Healthcare needs reform, so Hillary tries to get something passed in the early '90's. It fails, so no one talks about it again for 15 years. Social Security can't wait that long.

That's just one area. Obviously, there are huge cuts that can be made in terms of our military, tons of pork that can be eliminated, and ways of restructuring that can save significant dollars. Oh, and it would be good to stop the war in Iraq, as well.

I gutted the military, modestly reduced entitlement spending and was able to get the deficit on track to be paid off, while cutting taxes for lower income brackets.

But I cut so deep it into the military that conservatives would never really allow it.

I cut the defense budget to 200 billion a year - perfectly sufficient to defend our nation, and added about a hundred billion for a universal healthcare plan, and came up with a surplus.

We can either have an absurdly large military or an absurdly large welfare state, but we can't afford both.

Liberals of course think it's the military that should go, conservatives think it's the welfare state that should be reduced, and everyone else just hates conservatives and liberals.

I cut the defense budget to 200 billion a year - perfectly sufficient to defend our nation, and added about a hundred billion for a universal healthcare plan, and came up with a surplus.

Oh, and it should give me an option to raise taxes on everyone who is a registered republican, to pay for their war. That would have made my surplus bigger.

Not sure if you noticed the breakdowns on his site (nor am I sure how accurate they are).... but if they are accurate then about $180 billion per year is spent on salaries for current military members as well as retirment funding for vets. Which if accurate would leave about $20 billion in funding for maintenance, fuel, protective gear, weapons etc....

That said, I agree with Gumby2 that there is likely a lot of pork that can be cut from defense.

Oh, and it should give me an option to raise taxes on everyone who is a registered republican, to pay for their war. That would have made my surplus bigger.

It should give me the option to make Cypress pay for any part of the budget I personally don't favor.

LoL how about this, I'll pay for the war and you pay for four generations of government-dependent Americans who have been promised healthcare, social security, welfare, and generally anything else that dishonest politicians of their time promised them.

It's not about just "cutting programs," and it doesn't have to be about cutting programs. There is an incredible amount of waste in our bureacracy, and ways to make our gov't work more efficiently.

Social Security is genuinely killing our budget, and will only get worse & worse as time goes on the way it is now structured. Bush tried to do something, but it failed, so of course, now no one is even talking about it. This is how it goes in America. Healthcare needs reform, so Hillary tries to get something passed in the early '90's. It fails, so no one talks about it again for 15 years. Social Security can't wait that long.

That's just one area. Obviously, there are huge cuts that can be made in terms of our military, tons of pork that can be eliminated, and ways of restructuring that can save significant dollars. Oh, and it would be good to stop the war in Iraq, as well.

If you cut all pork out of the budget you'd get, at most, 50 billion dollars, which state governments would then have to spend on the programs the federal government isn't providing.

"Restructing" - Gee, Lorax is such a genius, he can make money appear out of thin air by "restructuring". Such an armchari general.

I gutted the military, modestly reduced entitlement spending and was able to get the deficit on track to be paid off, while cutting taxes for lower income brackets.

But I cut so deep it into the military that conservatives would never really allow it.

I was able to eliminate the deficit and excise taxes, but mostly by gutting the military, agricultural subsidies, and not much cuts to welfare programs. It's easy gut the military whenever you don't have the Iraq war. Our 150 billion dollar procurment budget, for instance, could be slashed dramatically.

We pay 500 billion dollars a year on our debt. That's ridiculous.

If you cut all pork out of the budget you'd get, at most, 50 billion dollars, which state governments would then have to spend on the programs the federal government isn't providing.

"Restructing" - Gee, Lorax is such a genius, he can make money appear out of thin air by "restructuring". Such an armchari general.

Little cherrypicking there, eh Watermark?

That's why I didn't say "just pork." As for restructuring, we were doing it in the '90's, and it was working; totally abandoned.

You're such a fool. In your view, the gov't is running as efficiently as possible? I forget....you're a teenager, right?

What specific restructuring would you suggest, Lorax?

More like a major overhaul. It's philsophical, and it has to do with the overall way things are done in government. There are a lot of specific areas, as well - Social Security being the biggest. I don't have a "master plan" - that's not my job - but a pretty good start is outlined here:

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache...vernment+report+card&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Politics kept this from getting too far in the '90's, but I sure liked where they were headed....

Cut the OFFENSE military budge by 60% making it a defense budget.
legalize marijuana and collect 15,000,000,000 annually in taxes and we could have FREE UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE.

More like a major overhaul. It's philsophical, and it has to do with the overall way things are done in government. There are a lot of specific areas, as well - Social Security being the biggest. I don't have a "master plan" - that's not my job - but a pretty good start is outlined here:

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache...vernment+report+card&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Politics kept this from getting too far in the '90's, but I sure liked where they were headed....

I bet we could save like a trillion dollars a year through "restructuring" and we wouldn't have to make any cuts at all!

the far left would like most everything I'm for and me them
I'm just pro growth expanding the number of rich and upper middle while we're at it.

Back