D.C. Pays Dearly After Letting a Medical Marijuana Patient Die in Jail

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
the 'law' at work

As a toddler, Jonathan Magbie was stuck by a drunk driver. He survived for 23 years, paralyzed from the neck down, until one day he was arrested for using medical marijuana to treat his pain. Magbie died in jail four days later.
This week, Magbie’s family settled a wrongful death suit, bringing this unfathomable tragedy back into the spotlight:

Attorneys for his mother, Mary R. Scott, declined to provide details of the financial settlement, which she reached with the city, private contractors and the insurance company that covered doctors at the hospital. The American Civil Liberties Union, which represented Scott, called the settlement "substantial" in a news release.

Magbie's mother was furious that the judge did not give her son probation, the typical punishment for first-time offenders. Magbie, paralyzed since being hit by a drunk driver at age 4, had no criminal record. Retchin told a judicial commission that she sentenced Magbie to jail because he said he would continue to smoke marijuana to alleviate his pain. [Washington Post]​
He was literally singled out for using medical marijuana and being honest about the fact that his condition required continued use. Anyone still struggling to understand the persecution of patients in the war on medical marijuana need look no further than this.
And, as Dan Bernath at MPP points out, voters in Washington, D.C. overwhelmingly passed a law back in 1998 to protect patients like Jonathan from arrest. If Congressional drug warriors hadn’t continually blocked the implementation of D.C.’s medical marijuana law, Magbie would probably never have been arrested, never died in jail, and D.C. taxpayers wouldn’t have to foot the bill for the mindblowing callousness and incompetence that took his life.

It is truly mind-boggling that our officials have no problem with giving people morphine for pain, but refuse to let them use marijuana to treat pain.

On any level morphine is a more dangerous drug. It is also impossible to predict the side effects of it. My mom died after being in a coma for 3 weeks from a morphine dose stopping her breathing for several minutes. It was the same dosage she was taking after a prior surgery just a couple of weeks before.

Let them use marijuana for medical reasons and give up this nonsensical "war on drugs". Like real war, it has too many collateral casualties.

It is truly mind-boggling that our officials have no problem with giving people morphine for pain, but refuse to let them use marijuana to treat pain.

On any level morphine is a more dangerous drug. It is also impossible to predict the side effects of it. My mom died after being in a coma for 3 weeks from a morphine dose stopping her breathing for several minutes. It was the same dosage she was taking after a prior surgery just a couple of weeks before.

Let them use marijuana for medical reasons and give up this nonsensical "war on drugs". Like real war, it has too many collateral casualties.

I hate to tell you but at any level tobacco is the most dangerous drug known to man and has killed vastly more people than all drugs combined.

It was funny, I was in a tobacco shop in North Carolina and those red necks were talking about how pot smokers should all be locked up and the keys thrown away. When I mentioned though, that there are very few deaths recorded from pot use but tobacco kills about half a million people a year and why aren't they throwing tobacco growers in prison? Why aren't the executives at the tobacco companies facing the death penalty? They are the biggest mass muderers in world history afterall. They told me I was an asshole.

Crippled from the neck down, but he has a gun in his pocket. Wonder why they did not charge him with the gun possession???

Magbie's ordeal began Sept. 20, 2004, when D.C. Superior Court Judge Judith E. Retchin sentenced him to jail after he pleaded guilty to possessing marijuana. D.C. police found a gun and marijuana in Magbie's pockets in April 2003 after stopping a vehicle driven by a cousin of his. Magbie admitted buying the marijuana, records show.

Crippled from the neck down, but he has a gun in his pocket. Wonder why they did not charge him with the gun possession???

Magbie's ordeal began Sept. 20, 2004, when D.C. Superior Court Judge Judith E. Retchin sentenced him to jail after he pleaded guilty to possessing marijuana. D.C. police found a gun and marijuana in Magbie's pockets in April 2003 after stopping a vehicle driven by a cousin of his. Magbie admitted buying the marijuana, records show.

LOL, you don't know? try getting that charge past a jury.

I hate to tell you but at any level tobacco is the most dangerous drug known to man and has killed vastly more people than all drugs combined.

It was funny, I was in a tobacco shop in North Carolina and those red necks were talking about how pot smokers should all be locked up and the keys thrown away. When I mentioned though, that there are very few deaths recorded from pot use but tobacco kills about half a million people a year and why aren't they throwing tobacco growers in prison? Why aren't the executives at the tobacco companies facing the death penalty? They are the biggest mass muderers in world history afterall. They told me I was an asshole.

I agree with your sentiment but I'm curious to see a statistic for the "very few deaths" directly linked to pot.

I agree with your sentiment but I'm curious to see a statistic for the "very few deaths" directly linked to pot.

Pot has never caused someone to die.

There are indirect deaths, like when someone takes it and then sets out driving. Also, there's possible psychological harm. But it's never caused someone to die.

Short of being crushed to death by a falling bale of pot, I don't see a way.

There are certainly no direct deaths in the sense of overdoses.

25145379v2_240x240_Front_Color-BlackWhite.jpg

I am so sorry!

Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of the end of prohibition! We need to stop the wasteful and nonsensical "war on drugs"

When the government says they are declaring war on something, be sure it will become the government "dark hole" for tax payers dollars!

Wear the badge proudly! I would!

Now is a great time for MJ to be legalized.

It would be great for the economy.

Isn't it still our largest cash crop? Government would just be able to tax it and make HUGE money!

I have also written tobacco companies and told them they could plant marijuana with their tobacco and it would enrich the soil that tobacco depletes and they could increase their shrinking profits in America.

It is sad there are still those that believe government propaganda!

Just like alcohol, it isn't going away.

NEWSFLASH to all Obamanauts ...

Your new Attorney General Eric Holder, chosen by the messiah himself, not only agrees with tough sentences for ALL marijuana use and possesion, he was behind the tough DC legislation spoken of in this thread.

Not everyone can be perfect...I am waiting and watching what will happen, but on his site, I have told Obama that he is not ideal.

NEWSFLASH to all Obamanauts ...

Your new Attorney General Eric Holder, chosen by the messiah himself, not only agrees with tough sentences for ALL marijuana use and possesion, he was behind the tough DC legislation spoken of in this thread.

Just like on Iraq, Obama sets Policy his people enact them.

Herb is the healing of da nation

JAH ROOTS

Back