Damn lefties

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
Beyond Labor Day: 3 Ways Unions Have Helped American Workers

Bumper stickers aren’t known for being the most trustworthy sources of historical fact, but the one that proclaims that weekends are “brought to you by the labor movement” gets it exactly right. If anything, it doesn’t go far enough.

Indeed, employers and elected leaders did not implement the five-day workweek out of the goodness of their hearts. Rather, workers and their unions agitated lobbied, organized, struck and voted for decades to achieve these gains. As Frederick Douglass, the legendary African American activist, once declared: “Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.”

A complete list of the ways labor changed American history would be immeasurably long—but, for Labor Day, here are three of the top ways unions helped American workers:.....

https://time.com/5663465/labor-day-union-history/

The decline of unions and the decline of the working class standard of living are parallel for a very good reason.

I've seem television shows
about some young people, particularly female,
who for some psychotic reason cut themselves with razors and such.

I don't know the psychiatric name for that kind of self-abuse off the top of my head,
but I see a very obvious resemblance between those poor individuals
and working people who don't support organized labor.

There's obviously no sanity wasted on people like that.

The decline of unions and the decline of the working class standard of living are parallel for a very good reason.

I've seem television shows
about some young people, particularly female,
who for some psychotic reason cut themselves with razors and such.

I don't know the psychiatric name for that kind of self-abuse off the top of my head,
but I see a very obvious resemblance between those poor individuals
and working people who don't support organized labor.

There's obviously no sanity wasted on people like that.

THe actual disorder is called Nonsuicidal self-injury (NSSI), "...defined as the deliberate, self-inflicted destruction of body tissue without suicidal intent and for purposes not socially sanctioned, includes behaviors such as cutting, burning, biting and scratching skin "(SOURCE)

As for the metaphor with working folks not supporting unions that's not quite appropriate but I get your point.

People OFTEN vote and act in direct opposition to their own self interest. It is especially common on Right it seems. These are the folks who were happy when Reagan took office and ushered in the era where middle class wages started to stagnate for >30 years while corporate profits grew and grew and grew.

As for the metaphor with working folks not supporting unions that's not quite appropriate but I get your point.

Appropriate or not,
I confess that seeing that condition represented in television dramas
did indeed make my think of anti-union working people.

In fairness, as I served as a union rep through most of my working life,
unions issues are never too far from my mind.

Appropriate or not,
I confess that seeing that condition represented in television dramas
did indeed make my think of anti-union working people.

In fairness, as I served as a union rep through most of my working life,
unions issues are never too far from my mind.

I am saddened that unions have fallen on hard times. I've never been union (always white collar jobs that weren't unionized) but I understand it is the only real bulwark between the greed at the top. I've seen too many execs living high on the hog while their companies use as cheap labor as they can humanly find (and NOT 'humanely')

But by the same token I also know that unions can be abusive themselves, and corrupt.

Nothing is perfect but SOMETHING is needed to protect the working people. Otherwise they are 100% screwed.

I am saddened that unions have fallen on hard times. I've never been union (always white collar jobs that weren't unionized) but I understand it is the only real bulwark between the greed at the top. I've seen too many execs living high on the hog while their companies use as cheap labor as they can humanly find (and NOT 'humanely')

But by the same token I also know that unions can be abusive themselves, and corrupt.

Nothing is perfect but SOMETHING is needed to protect the working people. Otherwise they are 100% screwed.

I had a white collar job that was unionized.

I was an accountant in an organized financial department.

We had a rare [in the private sector] office union.

Beyond Labor Day: 3 Ways Unions Have Helped American Workers

Bumper stickers aren’t known for being the most trustworthy sources of historical fact, but the one that proclaims that weekends are “brought to you by the labor movement” gets it exactly right. If anything, it doesn’t go far enough.

Indeed, employers and elected leaders did not implement the five-day workweek out of the goodness of their hearts. Rather, workers and their unions agitated lobbied, organized, struck and voted for decades to achieve these gains. As Frederick Douglass, the legendary African American activist, once declared: “Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.”

A complete list of the ways labor changed American history would be immeasurably long—but, for Labor Day, here are three of the top ways unions helped American workers:.....

https://time.com/5663465/labor-day-union-history/

You're not a lefty. I'm to the Left...you are not.

Back