deploying unfit soldiers to duty

COLORADO SPRINGS — Fort Carson sent soldiers who were not medically fit to war zones last month to meet "deployable strength" goals, according to e-mails obtained by The Denver Post.

One e-mail, written Jan. 3 by the surgeon for Fort Carson's 3rd Brigade Combat Team, says: "We have been having issues reaching deployable strength, and thus have been taking along some borderline soldiers who we would otherwise have left behind for continued treatment."

Capt. Scot Tebo's e-mail was, in part, a reference to Master Sgt. Denny Nelson, a 19-year Army veteran, who was sent overseas last month despite doctors' orders that he not run, jump or carry more than 20 pounds for three months because of a severe foot injury.

Nelson took the medical report to the Soldier Readiness Process, or SRP, site on Fort Carson, where health-care professionals recommended Nelson stay home.

The soldier, who has a Bronze Star and is a member of the Mountain Post's Audie Murphy Chapter, was sent to Kuwait on Dec. 29.

Nelson says he was one of at least 52 soldiers deployed who should not have been, and a veterans group says the military is endangering soldiers to meet its goals.

But Fort Carson officials say they do not believe unfit soldiers have been sent to the Middle East and say there is no repercussion for not meeting goals. They say the battalion commander has the final decision as to who is deployed.

On Jan. 5, a physician in Kuwait sent a strongly worded e-mail to Tebo urging him to send Nelson back to the U.S.

"This soldier should NOT have even left CONUS (the United States). . . . In his current state, he is not full mission capable and in his current condition is a risk to further injury to himself, others and his unit," said the physician, Maj. Thomas Schymanski.

We are going to have to work for years to take care of these people.

Shill OLiely is recently on record saying the numbers of homeless vets is a lie.

They want them to do their war and disappear.

Facts be damned.

Really scrapping the barrel here.......

He was deployed to "Kuwait"...to relieve a fitter soldier for front line duties...he was not relieved of duty per sei just restricted duty for three months...all soldiers are aware of this type of deployment...please desh stop trying to speak for all soldiers in your rants of BS!

More Liberal lies..........

We are going to have to work for years to take care of these people.

Shill OLiely is recently on record saying the numbers of homeless vets is a lie.

They want them to do their war and disappear.

Facts be damned.

Being a VN vet I was treated quite well by the government on discharge... VA benefits and pension...heck even finished college on the GI bill..not to forget buying three homes on the VA loan guarantee...way mo betta then the spit I received from y'all on return! Yeah baby the government treated me like shit...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Army is now also giving waivers for felons and drug users. While I was in, if you got a DWI it was a bar to re-enlistment that was non waiverable. The Baltimore Sun wrote that there was "a significant increase in the number of recruits with what the Army terms 'serious criminal misconduct' in their background" -- a category that included "aggravated assault, robbery, vehicular manslaughter, receiving stolen property and making terrorist threats." From 2004 to 2005, the number of those recruits rose by more than 54 percent, while alcohol and illegal drug waivers, reversing a four-year decline, increased by more than 13 percent. This is not the army I left. You could have never gotten in in the late 80's early 90's with felonies. This is what George W. Bush has turned the army into.

The Army is now also giving waivers for felons and drug users. While I was in, if you got a DWI it was a bar to re-enlistment that was non waiverable. The Baltimore Sun wrote that there was "a significant increase in the number of recruits with what the Army terms 'serious criminal misconduct' in their background" -- a category that included "aggravated assault, robbery, vehicular manslaughter, receiving stolen property and making terrorist threats." From 2004 to 2005, the number of those recruits rose by more than 54 percent, while alcohol and illegal drug waivers, reversing a four-year decline, increased by more than 13 percent. This is not the army I left. You could have never gotten in in the late 80's early 90's with felonies. This is what George W. Bush has turned the army into.

A troubling trend. You should also look into the increasing gang activity going on in the military. Not good and also not surprising given the increasing use of waivers to meet enlistment goals.

Fort Bliss a couple of years ago arrested several Active Duty soldiers for criminal gang activity. They were members of the crips or the bloods, I don't remember which.

This http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/a/gangs.htm is about an FBI report on gang activity in the military. Here is the info on the Fort Bliss gang problem. Since 2004, the FBI and El Paso Police Department have identified over 40 military-affiliated Folk Nation gang members stationed at the Fort Bliss Army Installation in Texas who have been involved in drug distribution, robberies, assaults, weapons offenses, and a homicide, both on and off the installation. So it wasn't bloods or crips.

Right................

This http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/a/gangs.htm is about an FBI report on gang activity in the military. Here is the info on the Fort Bliss gang problem. Since 2004, the FBI and El Paso Police Department have identified over 40 military-affiliated Folk Nation gang members stationed at the Fort Bliss Army Installation in Texas who have been involved in drug distribution, robberies, assaults, weapons offenses, and a homicide, both on and off the installation. So it wasn't bloods or crips.

and what is your point other than dish your former Branch of service?Yes shit happens...and idiots get in...Should we go back to the draft?...waivers were granted for draftees also...get a grip GI Joe! I do believe that most if not all draftees during the VN war who were given a 'Second Chance' turned out to be productive citizens after discharge...some even stayed in and made a career...ya can't have your proverbial cake and eat it too on this issue...soco!

Last edited:
and what is your point other than dish your former Branch of service?Yes shit happens...and idiots get in...Should we go back to the draft?...waivers were granted for draftees also...get a grip GI Joe! I do believe that most if not all draftees during the VN war who were given a 'Second Chance' turned out to be productive citizens after discharge...some even stayed in and made a career...ya can't have your proverbial cake and eat it too on this issue...soco!
Actually what I was pointing out in that this goatscrew your president got us into in Iraq has so worn the army thin at the ragged edges that we are back to taking people into my beloved Army that we would have NEVER taken into the Army. If Units were not on their 3rd and 4th tours of duty in Iraq and men not on their 2d and even third tours there we would not have to resort to doing this to my beloved Army. The Commander in chief has so fucked this up that it may take a decade or more to recover. And all you can do is applaud the man for this.

Well...............

Actually what I was pointing out in that this goatscrew your president got us into in Iraq has so worn the army thin at the ragged edges that we are back to taking people into my beloved Army that we would have NEVER taken into the Army. If Units were not on their 3rd and 4th tours of duty in Iraq and men not on their 2d and even third tours there we would not have to resort to doing this to my beloved Army. The Commander in chief has so fucked this up that it may take a decade or more to recover. And all you can do is applaud the man for this.

I must agree with you on the extended tours of duty...that is not fair...during VN one was only obligated to one 13month tour...one tour is hard enough to get thru...but alot of guys did have the option to extend or take on new tours...I am not sure if this would work now because of the damage the Clinton administration did by reducing the military!

And I will agree that

I must agree with you on the extended tours of duty...that is not fair...during VN one was only obligated to one 13month tour...one tour is hard enough to get thru...but alot of guys did have the option to extend or take on new tours...I am not sure if this would work now because of the damage the Clinton administration did by reducing the military!
Clinton reduced the military way more than it should have been. Part of the peace dividend should have been spending more money on training a full sized army to fight the next war which after Desert Storm EVERYONE should have known was going to be in a middle eastern desert somewhere.

Apparently people running for President with a D next to their name couldn't predict it. I have a theory that the letter D deflects brainwaves away from the future sensors in their brain.

It's either that or they might have been lying when they pretended they didn't know Bush would invade.

Cue a partisan Democrat to accuse you of being a radical Bush supporter for calling out the democrat stupidity in the lead up to the war.

Back