Did the ACLU expose a gun-grabber bias?

tinfoil

Banned
What the hell? Is the ACLU run by anti gun zealots? How could they possibly reason gun ownership as a collective right? WTF does that even mean? We can have a gun only if we congregate? We all get to share guns?

Is there a liberal in the house? I don't think all liberals agree with this logic, but I hope they can work out the steps required to reach that level.

http://blog.aclu.org/2008/07/01/heller-decision-and-the-second-amendment/

The ACLU interprets the Second Amendment as a collective right. Therefore, we disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision in D.C. v. Heller. While the decision is a significant and historic reinterpretation of the right to keep and bear arms, the decision leaves many important questions unanswered that will have to be resolved in future litigation, including what regulations are permissible, and which weapons are embraced by the Second Amendment right that the Court has now recognized.

Though it's difficult to tell what a liberal means at any given date or time, the term "collective right" is usually used in anti-gun-rights circles to express the notion that the 2nd amendment guarantees no right for you and I to own or carry guns, but only guarantees the right of STATES to form militias. Thus the only way you or I can own a gun, is if we are members of an official state militia.

It's sort of like claiming the 1st amendment doesn't protect your or my right to say what we want, but only protects (say) high schools' and literary societies' right to put on plays, in which actors recite lines. Thus the only way you or I get to say anything, is if we are members of a cast of a play.

Both interpretations (of the 1st and the 2nd amendments) are equally ridiculous. Yet somehow a few people cling to that very belief about the 2nd amendment, though probably none of them believe it about the 1st.

I'm not trying to justify what these people think (if that's what they're doing). I'm just telling you what THEY say the 2nd amendment means.

Last edited:
Back