Different-sex "marriage" divorce rate on the rise

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
http://www.wapt.com/news/15305455/detail.html

Study: Marriages Sinking, Divorces Rising

POSTED: 4:50 pm CST February 14, 2008
UPDATED: 5:55 pm CST February 15, 2008
[NEWSVINE: Study: Marriages Sinking, Divorces Rising] [DELICIOUS: Study: Marriages Sinking, Divorces Rising] [DIGG: Study: Marriages Sinking, Divorces Rising] [FACEBOOK: Study: Marriages Sinking, Divorces Rising] [REDDIT: Study: Marriages Sinking, Divorces Rising] [RSS] [PRINT: Study: Marriages Sinking, Divorces Rising] [EMAIL: Study: Marriages Sinking, Divorces Rising]
JACKSON, Miss. -- Marriage and divorce rates are headed in opposite directions according to the National Fatherhood Initiative for the Mississippi Center for Public Policy.

According to the study, in 1960, there were 21,233 marriages in the state of Mississippi. As of 2006, the numbers have dropped to 16,550 despite the state having a larger population. It is a stark contrast to the numbers of divorce. In 1960, there were 5,260 divorces in the state – but that leapt ahead to 13,891 divorces in 2006.

"I guess you have to be willing to say you're sorry,” was the advice given by Jane Citty of Clinton who has been married to Jim Citty for 47 years. “I think you have to work on it. Well you don't always like the person and think, 'Why did I do this?' But I've come back and realized I love him very much and I wouldn't be happy with anyone else.”
sponsor

Director of the Mississippi Center for Public Policy Forest Thigpen said the statistics show a lack of commitment and residents’ willingness to honor obligations.

“That carries over into the levels of bankruptcy in people who are not paying their bills, who are not committed to their employer or employees,” Thigpen said.

Marriage counselor and family therapist Linda Blackwell said Hollywood is partly to blame in their portrayals of couples getting divorced soon after getting married.

“You’ve committed to that person to love them forever,” Blackwell said. “It’s intended to be forever.”

Blackwell said couples should consider all the options before moving toward divorce. She said all too often, couples believe they have no other choice but to dissolve their marriage.

"But there's always a choice and if you are willing to do something different, then there is always a chance,” Blackwell said.

Blackwell said she advises couples who are in trouble to sit down and write down a list of expectations, what each person expects of the other. She said they have to set aside time for themselves, away from children, family or friends. And most importantly, she said couples have to communicate -- especially about the things that make them angry.

"A lot of times their needs are just not met," Blackwell said "And that is, a lot of times, where things start to fall apart.”

"The answer is simple but carrying it out can be difficult but it's something you have to work on every day,” Sean Perkins said.

He and his wife, Chetonya have been married for 5 years and said they hope to buck the statistical divorce rates in the state.

"Communication: If there is none, I just think that connection is not there," Chetonya said.

For those whose marriages are getting rocky, counseling services are available through an assortment of means. Some employers provide the help to their employers, but churches and temples offer to work with couples who are both having marital problems or preparing to get married.

According to Blackwell, couples who want to stay together have to work to stay together.

"There's always a choice and if you are willing to do something different then there is always a chance,” Blackwell said.

Marriage is just a conspiracy theorist thing.
It will cause you to drink koolaid because that is all you can afford.

Lease with option to buy is the way to go.
the depreciation after the first couple of years is devestating.

Last edited:
Back