Drug use in Singapore still rampant despite death penalty

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
http://www.reuters.com/article/heal...10?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - It is Friday night. Ling, a bank analyst in Armani heels, pops a small, blue pill into her mouth and dances to the thumping beat. Later she heads to a house party with her friends where they snort cocaine off tabletops.

Singapore's party drug scene used to be the domain of high-flying foreign bankers and other expatriates who would take ecstasy and snort cocaine in defiance of the city state's drug laws which, with a mandatory death sentence for drug trafficking, are among the toughest in the world.

But these days, the drug scene for foreigners is not as pronounced as among well-to-do locals in a country which has the world's fastest-growing number of high net worth individuals, totaling some 67,000 in 2006.

And fast cars and fancy clothes are not the only things young, hip and rich Singaporeans want to buy.

"In general, you go for 'trippy' drugs, drugs that make you feel good as well as make you dance harder," said a student from a wealthy family, who declined to be identified.

With one gram of methamphetamine costing S$300, it is an expensive habit that not everyone can feed.

Singaporean authorities say drug use is low, but anecdotal evidence tells of the emergence of an underground party drug scene mostly at night clubs frequented by the wealthy.

Singapore is Asia's second-richest country, with a 2006 GDP per capita of $29,000, on a par with Italy and Spain. The booming economy, driven by manufacturing and financial services, has made the city-state a playground for the rich.

No, this is my rant against harsh drug laws. The death penalty is in it too, though, so I guess it's like a double-whammy.

The only drugs that should be illegal are heroin, meth, and crack cocaine.

The rest should be legal, and those that are illegal should actually be shut down, rather than this pathetic "war on drugs" crap.

The only drugs that should be illegal are heroin, meth, and crack cocaine.

The rest should be legal, and those that are illegal should actually be shut down, rather than this pathetic "war on drugs" crap.

How the hell could you call lifetime imprisonment weak? You're a fucking retard.

Singapore has the mandatory death penalty for trafficking. It raises the price a little. That's it. Mostly, it's the mules who get murdered by bastards like you. There is nothing, no measure strong enough, that anyone can design, to stop traffick in drugs.

How the hell could you call lifetime imprisonment weak? You're a fucking retard.

Singapore has the mandatory death penalty for trafficking. It raises the price a little. That's it. Mostly, it's the mules who get murdered by bastards like you. There is nothing, no measure strong enough, that anyone can design, to stop traffick in drugs.

Our penalties are strong, our enforcement is weak, retard.

And I'm not talking about Singapore, I'm talking about the US. If we legalised the shit that isn't super-addictive and actually went after the rest of the drug industry aggressively, there would be no drug problem.

Our penalties are strong, our enforcement is weak, retard.

And I'm not talking about Singapore, I'm talking about the US. If we legalised the shit that isn't super-addictive and actually went after the rest of the drug industry aggressively, there would be no drug problem.

That's where I'm going... a harm reduction strategy. Legalize drugs that are simialar to the most dangerous ones but aren't nearly as addictive, and the addictive drugs market will all but dry up.

I'm still not entirely certain if it would all work out. Drugs are dangerous substances... because they play with and destroy our brains reward system, that keeps us from harming ourselves. Whenever I talked about legalizing cocaine for instance, Darla said that if Cocaine were legal, she wouldn't be here. Take of that what you will.

Then why isn't cocaine legal right this second?

Cocaine is not that bad of a drug as far as drugs go...certainly not as dangerous as crack, PCP, heroin, or meth.

Interesting fact: James "Whitey" Bulger of Boston mob fame allowed cocaine to be sold by his crew but refused to allow heroin sales-- his reasoning was that people are still able to function on cocaine, while heroin turns a junkie into a zombie.

Back