Dwight D. Eisenhower: An American hero

wordcreatorushtwf

Verified User
At a time when there seems to be a lack of heroes, especially in the Presidency during the last decades, the biography of Dwight D. (Ike) Eisenhower is a reminder of the pride Americans felt for the General, the man and the country. Ike, An American Hero is written with a broad understanding of both military history and human nature.

Read more

The heros don't exist as they once did. Both the more relaxed society and the more aggressive press make it much harder to become such a hero.

In the past, the press respected the presidency. Can anyone imagine the press of today not filming or photographing the president when he was put in a train window on a stretcher, as they did when FDR was in office?

On the one had we know more about our leaders and heros. On the other hand, we know stuff that has no bearing on what they do for us.

The heros don't exist as they once did. Both the more relaxed society and the more aggressive press make it much harder to become such a hero.

In the past, the press respected the presidency. Can anyone imagine the press of today not filming or photographing the president when he was put in a train window on a stretcher, as they did when FDR was in office?

On the one had we know more about our leaders and heros. On the other hand, we know stuff that has no bearing on what they do for us.

The lack of mythic status amongst modern leaders is mainly due to the fact that we know so much more about them. Bill Clinton lost a lot of credibility for receiving a blow job, but Eisenhower was fucking his aide for more than a decade.

I think that this has also had the effect of encouraging a certain blandness and timidity amongst modern leaders; Obama is the perfect example of this. Intellectuals are no longer allowed in the white house.

Eisenhower ordered the last death of a troop for desertion amongst an allied power, something that upon learning caused me to lose a great deal of respect for him.

Last edited:
But would today's Republican party be able to tolerate Eisenhower? I don't think they would. By the standards of the modern Republican party Eisenhower was a commie pinko liberal.

I talk about Eisenhower and Clinton's cheatin' hearts, but they were the Virgin Mary compared to JFK and FDR.
Interesting comparison actually. They were the two most successful Presidents of the last half of the 20th century and they were both political moderates.

That's a two way street though. Our Present media does not accord political leaders the level of respect that they used to. They build them up so they can knock them down but they also do a much better job of holding political leaders accountable then in the past. It's much harder for political leaders to get away with shit due to the 24 hour glare of the modern media. I'd say that's a good thing in the balance.

JFK wasn't in office for long enough to do anything; I'd honestly say LBJ was a better president for him, for no other reason than that JFK would've started 'Nam as well.

FDR was obviously the greatest president in history.

Back