Early days of COVID sermon …

Are you looking for a critique of the sermon?

Just sharing. Critique if you want. I was never trained/schooled as a preacher. I’m just a math teacher who preaches. It was interesting, those days. Couldn’t meet in the building. No gatherings with more than 10. For three weeks we did worship by Zoom. Then I finally received the FM transmitter I ordered. We had a drive-in service every week and I preached out of the back of my son’s pickup for about a month and a half until we could legally assemble back in the building.

During that time we re-organized the inside of the building, took out and roped off pews to allow for social distancing, installed an exhaust fan to keep the air moving around and out, drawing fresh air in, wore masks inside, avoided shaking hands (that’s a hard one for a group of old fashioned Christians). Of course we meticulously sanitized things between services.

There were no COVID cases in our group until we went back to work the next Autumn. My son and I got it from school. My wife avoided it. That’s it. Whether our precautions at the church building worked or not, we made sure we complied with whatever law came down concerning assemblies and took the sanitization advice of the medical professionals.

These FB memories pop up reminding me of those interesting times.

Just sharing. Critique if you want. I was never trained/schooled as a preacher. I’m just a math teacher who preaches. It was interesting, those days. Couldn’t meet in the building. No gatherings with more than 10. For three weeks we did worship by Zoom. Then I finally received the FM transmitter I ordered. We had a drive-in service every week and I preached out of the back of my son’s pickup for about a month and a half until we could legally assemble back in the building.

During that time we re-organized the inside of the building, took out and roped off pews to allow for social distancing, installed an exhaust fan to keep the air moving around and out, drawing fresh air in, wore masks inside, avoided shaking hands (that’s a hard one for a group of old fashioned Christians). Of course we meticulously sanitized things between services.

There were no COVID cases in our group until we went back to work the next Autumn. My son and I got it from school. My wife avoided it. That’s it. Whether our precautions at the church building worked or not, we made sure we complied with whatever law came down concerning assemblies and took the sanitization advice of the medical professionals.

These FB memories pop up reminding me of those interesting times.

Well it wasn’t bad but you do spend way to much time reading Bible verse and it gets kinda boring.

The best preachers rarely ever read verses they just mention the verse then start making their point.

Remember that sermons are also entertainment because you want to bring them in and have them engaged with you so they absorb the point better.

Standing there reading an entire page or whatever will start to see your audience drifting away then it takes more work to get them engaged again.

People aren’t there to have a Bible reading they are there so that they can get excited about what’s in the Bible.

Back